Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Last ditch effort to save frame! Any help?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Last ditch effort to save frame! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 10:02 PM
GoJacob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These past few days have been more than frustrating!

How much did you end up shelling out to get a machinist to free it? What kind of costs am I looking at.

These forums are so great. So many great ideas... and the encouragement to keep going
Old 06-09-09, 06:50 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
He really went medieval on it, no?
A slide hammer could save your day, if you can get some expanding device to grab the lower end of the ex-seatpost. Or maybe you could slide some thick washers through the BB. Not sure about turning that clamp back into shape, though.
Good luck.
Old 06-09-09, 07:40 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I still think you're pressing too hard with the hack saw given that I've removed steel posts this way. Anyhow, needle nosed vice grips may be a good bet, or a slide hammer I suppose. I wonder if oven cleaner would get that out? I should add that I know the oven cleaner will destroy the aluminum, what I'm not sure of is what it will do to your steel frame.
Old 06-09-09, 08:33 AM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your dad killed this frame - it looks entirely too chewed up and bent out of shape at the top. - you said the frame is steel? I think you have a shim and a seat post in the tube.
Buy some needle nose vice grips. This is not a tool you will never use again You can never have enough vice grips!
Old 06-09-09, 09:44 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If you're going to be working on bikes yourself, you'll need about $100 in specialized tools. Might as well start with the needle-nose vice-grips.
Old 06-09-09, 09:59 AM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Turn the hacksaw blade so the teeth point upward so its cutting when your pulling now when your pushing, this will help with the bending. Also you can get reciprocating saw blades fine toothed like a hacksaw blade and they are stiffer.
Old 06-09-09, 10:00 AM
silver_ghost

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread is giving me PTSD.

I forgot to mention, I also made a puller from threaded rod, a bunch of washers and some PVC pipe on the advice of someone here. It was a really neat idea, but it didn't do a thing for me. The hacksaw trick got me nowhere because the post I was dealing with was fluted and near a centimeter thick, so when I cut a section out and tried to pry it free, the aluminum would crumble and break away, leaving the lower part of the post still bonded the the frame and totally inaccesable.

I was lucky. My machinist is a good guy and a friend of my employer (as well as a bike geek) so he didn't even charge me provided I promised to get the bike on the road. I don't know shop rates in your part of the world but it should certainly be less expensive than a new frame.
Old 06-09-09, 10:07 AM
stausty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulling would be easier with a pair of needle-nosed vice grips. Clamp 'em on tight and start tugging.
Old 06-09-09, 10:21 AM
une_vitesse
Peace and bicycle grease!

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Voyageur, Ross Mt Hood, Rossin, the Nugget

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greyghost_6
There are so many threads on this and other like projects. The final all else fails solution is ammonia or penetrating oil and using fire to heat the frame (expand the steel) and then work the post loose.
+1 on the ammonia since the seatpost is al. ammonia will dissolve the oxidation caused by the al and break the sp free. i've tried it once and it worked (granted i had to mount the seatpost in my bench vise and use the frame as leverage to twist the seatpost loose)
Old 06-09-09, 10:36 AM
GoJacob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbchess
I think your dad killed this frame - it looks entirely too chewed up and bent out of shape at the top. - you said the frame is steel? I think you have a shim and a seat post in the tube.
Buy some needle nose vice grips. This is not a tool you will never use again You can never have enough vice grips!
+1
I just took a closer look/thought to the actually shape of the seat tube. It's beyond saving. The frame itself is nothing worth losing sleep over... it's more the fact that I have to continue my search for a vintage touring frame in my size. Thanks for all the comments... I just think this project was damned from the beginning... and I should cut my losses now.

EDIT: It WAS a seatpost shim. Who knows how long it had been there and for how long it was oxidizing to the steel frame. The frame itself was not particularly cared for so I'm sure that it wasn't properly maintained/lubed... and considering the frame was made in 1985...

Last edited by GoJacob; 06-09-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-18-09, 05:46 PM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This forum has turned into a community bike gang, bang. Where we each take turns doing some form of damage until the bike is no longer recognizable and we have pictures to monitor how bad it got haha.