Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Got a nice compliment yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 04:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Yesterday was the annual Steeple Chase ride out of Windham, CT. It's a fundraiser for local shelters and food banks that is sponsored by inter-faith ministries in the area. My guess is that 300 or more riders participate. My gf and I decided to do the Metric Century ride option. There are also 20, 50, & 100 mile rides. So, we gathered at the start with a dozen other riders from our club led by Ron our usual B ride leader. Ron is an interesting guy. He has just turned 60 and has that 5'9", 140 lb cyclist body. He is a notoriously good climber. Back in the day he was a local racer and for several years owned a LBS. These days he's a rep in the industry for companies like Bianchi and Speedplay, among others. Ron leads a lot of rides and has this natural teacher temperament. So, he often tries to school new riders on things like safety, bike handling, pacelines, etc. He is very pleasant, extremely knowledgeable and direct when confronting riders who refuse to correct bad form when it involves safety. He's fond of saying things like, "People don't know what it's like to ride in a peloton of 150 racers." and "If you're going to ride like that, I won't ride with you." So, yesterday Ron led a group of 13 of us on a B paced Metric. We started out a little faster than usual for which Ron later apologized and slowed the pace. He grouped us at one point and went through the mechanics of doing a paceline taking 20 second pulls. There were several riders who were new to the concept. We got our line going and had mixed results since some did not seem to get the team concept. In any event, at some point we were separated a bit with Ron, a new guy named Dave and I at the front. Ron said he was going to drop back and get the ride together. He told us to just keep going and he said to Dave, "Stay on Bruce. That's a good wheel." At rides' end we had done 62.5 mi. w/3300 ft. of elevation at 15.7 mph. The ride was kind of a mixed bag in that some in the group were new and inconsistent but generally a pleasant bunch. But, for me Ron's compliment (not easily dispensed) was the highlight. It was just a good feeling to know that someone with that base of knowledge acknowledged me as being consistent and predictable.
Old 08-17-15, 04:25 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
That sounds like a fun day.
Old 08-17-15, 04:37 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Brilliant, Bruce.
Old 08-17-15, 07:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Feels geat having a person you look up to making a positive comment about your riding abilities.
Old 08-17-15, 08:37 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I did not get compliments yesterday but had a very awesome club ride. Some time at the mid-point seven men and one woman came together by happy circumstance for the remainder of the ride. We typically ride at a similar pace and frequently end up riding together but not in a tight pace line. The combination of smooth pavement, minimal auto traffic, mostly shaded roads in an otherwise hot day and the fact that I felt stronger at the end than at the start made it a special ride. At many rides, our club sets up what is referred as a hospitality tent. It is similar to the idea of a tailgate party without alcohol, but other cold drinks and snack foods and watermelon slices. It is pleasant to sit around after a ride amongst like minded people.
Old 08-17-15, 08:57 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by berner
I did not get compliments yesterday but had a very awesome club ride. Some time at the mid-point seven men and one woman came together by happy circumstance for the remainder of the ride. We typically ride at a similar pace and frequently end up riding together but not in a tight pace line. The combination of smooth pavement, minimal auto traffic, mostly shaded roads in an otherwise hot day and the fact that I felt stronger at the end than at the start made it a special ride. At many rides, our club sets up what is referred as a hospitality tent. It is similar to the idea of a tailgate party without alcohol, but other cold drinks and snack foods and watermelon slices. It is pleasant to sit around after a ride amongst like minded people.
A group riding with "supplesse" as the French say is a beautiful thing. Well done.
Old 08-17-15, 09:26 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Old 08-17-15, 02:30 PM
bruce19

These are the top three groups that raised money for the Windham Area Inter-faith Ministries:

The Trophy winners are:

Colchester Dental Group $7755
Thread City Cyclist $5377
St. Paul’s Windham Center $2360

My club is Thread City Cyclers (not Cyclist) and we finish second every year to the Colchester Dental Group. At least for the past 10 yrs. So, in total the ride raised at least $15,500. Very cool.

This is our group pic. https://threadcitycyclers.com/
Old 08-17-15, 07:29 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
... acknowledged me as being consistent and predictable.
With that complement I'll ride with you! I also appreciate a group ride leader who insists on discipline in the group. Afterall, it's for everyone's safety. Otherwise I'd just as soon ride alone and live to see another day.