Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Century ride on C&V folding bike.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 08:06 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts

I'm away from home working, and have my mid/late 80's Dahon folding bike with me, I was hoping to ride a century on it, and I did, but I doubt I'll do it again! Legs felt fine, but I was on bike trail system the whole ride and much of the asphalt was pretty lumpy, that combined with the 16" wheels had me fairly uncomfortable on the bike towards the end of the ride, but it was a really nice day out, just a touch warm, but sunny with blue skies and quite a bit of shade on the path :-)

Old 06-23-19, 08:32 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Glad you had nice weather, sorry about the road. I’ve done quite a few centuries on my Dahon. I actually find in usually more comfortable at the end of the ride compared to my road bikes because of the upright posture, just not as fast. Having said that I mostly stick to well maintained trails. Maybe you have the tires at a high PSI? These bikes ride better at a lower one. Congrats on finishing the ride, anyway! 🙂
Old 06-24-19, 06:04 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by devinfan

Glad you had nice weather, sorry about the road. I’ve done quite a few centuries on my Dahon. I actually find in usually more comfortable at the end of the ride compared to my road bikes because of the upright posture, just not as fast. Having said that I mostly stick to well maintained trails. Maybe you have the tires at a high PSI? These bikes ride better at a lower one. Congrats on finishing the ride, anyway! 🙂
Thats a clean Dahon!!!!

No rear brake though? It looks super clean like that, but I do like my rear brake a lot.

I do run my tires pretty hard, the rear in particular as the bike just doesn't roll all that well at lower pressures. I do plenty of biking, so long days on the saddle aren't an issue, its just this asphalt was beat up and buckled by roots enough to take some of the fun out of the ride.

Thats so rad that you've done numerous centuries on your Dahon!!! I figured someone else had ridden one of these 100 miles, but I'm sure we're in a pretty elite club :-)
Old 06-24-19, 06:40 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I'm away from home working, and have my mid/late 80's Dahon folding bike with me, I was hoping to ride a century on it, and I did, but I doubt I'll do it again! Legs felt fine, but I was on bike trail system the whole ride and much of the asphalt was pretty lumpy, that combined with the 16" wheels had me fairly uncomfortable on the bike towards the end of the ride, but it was a really nice day out, just a touch warm, but sunny with blue skies and quite a bit of shade on the path :-)
Nice ride!

It happens I rode that that same century Sunday, only on a single 36" wheel and a lot slower. And yes, felt every one of those bumps! Legend has it that when they built the south county trail they paved over the railroad ties without removing them, they're sure noticeable just north of Barney Street and in the run up to Lawrence Street. This time actually noticed a piece of rail visible in a chuck hole in Mile Square Rd where the trail crosses it, too. And tree roots have had time to do their worst, too. I almost feel like spots that were great when I first rode it two years ago have degraded in the time since, or maybe I'm just getting intolerant ;-)

Finally did what I'd been contemplating and bypassed worst piece between Barney and Tompkins in Yonkers on the parallel residential road, and even with dismounting to get over to that PR'd the stretch as a result. Though the guy on the mountain bike I'd passed just before was just ahead when I re-entered the path.

Agree the weather was great, though sun did get to me a bit early afternoon up in Putnam County. With such a wet week expected more water on the trail in notorious spots like between Yorktown Heights and the county line at Baldwin Place yet Saturday seems to have been enough sun to dry that. Walked most of the mud mile in Van Corltandt Park though - that responds more slowly.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-24-19 at 06:47 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 06-24-19, 07:15 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Nice moving time, which trail is that? We usually go into NY from NJ but the car free trail sounds fun. 16" wheels must really be a bear up hill, I had a Bike Friday with 20" wheels which had me dropped from my group rides on a regular basis. But the pocket bikes are so much fun on long solo rides.
Old 06-24-19, 07:34 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by UniChris
Nice ride!

It happens I rode that that same century Sunday, only on a single 36" wheel and a lot slower. And yes, felt every one of those bumps! Legend has it that when they built the south county trail they paved over the railroad ties without removing them, they're sure noticeable just north of Barney Street and in the run up to Lawrence Street. This time actually noticed a piece of rail visible in a chuck hole in Mile Square Rd where the trail crosses it, too. And tree roots have had time to do their worst, too. I almost feel like spots that were great when I first rode it two years ago have degraded in the time since, or maybe I'm just getting intolerant ;-)

Finally did what I'd been contemplating and bypassed worst piece between Barney and Tompkins in Yonkers on the parallel residential road, and even with dismounting to get over to that PR'd the stretch as a result. Though the guy on the mountain bike I'd passed just before was just ahead when I re-entered the path.

Agree the weather was great, though sun did get to me a bit early afternoon up in Putnam County. With such a wet week expected more water on the trail in notorious spots like between Yorktown Heights and the county line at Baldwin Place yet Saturday seems to have been enough sun to dry that. Walked most of the mud mile in Van Corltandt Park though - that responds more slowly.
OMG!!! I passed 2 36" unis on my ride, one at about 1 PM while I was heading north and another at about 6 PM while I was heading south, he was wearing a flourescent vest and "waved me by", was either of those guys you?

Hats off to you, Thats some mileage on a uni!!! How long did it take you?

Yea, that one section of the south county trail was most certainly built right on the old train tracks, it really sucks as there is no easy fix for that :-/

The tree roots are really tearing up the surface too :-/
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 06-24-19, 07:38 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by qclabrat
Nice moving time, which trail is that? We usually go into NY from NJ but the car free trail sounds fun. 16" wheels must really be a bear up hill, I had a Bike Friday with 20" wheels which had me dropped from my group rides on a regular basis. But the pocket bikes are so much fun on long solo rides.
Thanks! I've been on my bikes a lot this spring/summer, so I've got some legs/lungs going, this was the flattest century I've ever ridden, but man was it some work on the dahon!

The south end of the trail is "the south county trail, then the middle section is "the north county trail" and the north end is the "putnam county trail". 1.75" tires at 40-50 PSI would make the trail a lot more friendly! If I wasn't going to ride the whole thing I'd start at the south end of the North county trail and ride north, OR, start in Brewster at the north end of the putnam county trail and ride south. Its quite nice having no cars around!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 06-24-19, 07:42 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
OMG!!! I passed 2 36" unis on my ride, one at about 1 PM while I was heading north and another at about 6 PM while I was heading south, he was wearing a flourescent vest and "waved me by", was either of those guys you?
Wait, there was someone else out????

Only other guy I know that rides there has a 29er.

I was in a bright yellow top with an equally bright green backpack and accessories and during daylight an absurd blue helmet brim. 1pm would put me about halfway up the Putnam County section, probably in the woods between Carmel and Carmel Hamlet. 6pm would have been southbound maybe right after the highway shoulder section (I think I took off the shade brim and tied it to my pack at a rest break where the trail left the highway) I almost remember a guy on a folder passing just south of there, as I don't think I saw anyone else for quite a while?

And yes, I sometimes do the wave thing, it seems the appropriate response to a passing warning (which is appreciated, I can hear a freewheel ticking but not always a pedaled drivetrain) in a situation where doing so is safe.

How long did it take you?

Starting at dawn 12 something rolling, about 16 elapsed, which pathetic as it is, is almost 2 hours better than when I first did the round trip last August - in part because the longer solstice day meant I could keep the speed up until the last five miles where I hit the bumpy parts after dark.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-24-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 07:50 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Kudos to both your efforts. Jack, that’s a great looking early Dahon(Hon). Mine is a 2002 and is a blast to ride around on.
Old 06-24-19, 07:58 PM
jackbombay

He may have been on a 29er, can't say for sure, I generally send %90 of incoming oxygen to my legs when I'm on my bike, depriving the brain of oxygen by pedalling hard is the best way to show the brain who is boss! :-P

6pm would have been southbound maybe right after the highway shoulder section (I think I took off the shade brim and tied it to my pack at a rest break where the trail left the highway) I almost remember a guy on a folder passing just south of there, as I don't think I saw anyone else for quite a while?

YES! That was me! I had on a light gray Tshirt and some mustard color shorts. Crazy small world!

And yes, I sometimes do the wave thing, it seems the appropriate response to a passing warning (which is appreciated, I can hear a freewheel ticking but not always a pedaled drivetrain) in a situation where doing so is safe.
I often times ding my bell when approaching, but we were climbing a small hill when I passed you and the trail was a bit narrower I think, we were coming over a bit of a crest so couldn't see to far ahead so I slowed down a bunch which was when you wavaed my by, I think I said something to you about "I thought my bike was odd!" And you responded, but I can't remember with what.
Old 06-24-19, 07:59 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Kudos to both your efforts. Jack, that’s a great looking early Dahon(Hon). Mine is a 2002 and is a blast to ride around on.
Thanks!

I really want to spend a couple evenings geeking out on it in the garage and getting it really cleaned up, and get an aluminum rim for the rear, it works pretty well as it is, but it could use some love :-)
Old 06-24-19, 08:34 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Thanks!

I really want to spend a couple evenings geeking out on it in the garage and getting it really cleaned up, and get an aluminum rim for the rear, it works pretty well as it is, but it could use some love :-)
What rim do you need? I have a couple 16" 28h aluminum rims I was about to throw away. I'm moving this week and I have to get rid of stuff.

I commute on folding bike part of the year, but haven't tried randonneuring on my folding bike. I keep meaning to...

But yeah, let me know what rim you need, I just might have it.
Old 06-25-19, 03:48 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by rhm
What rim do you need? I have a couple 16" 28h aluminum rims I was about to throw away. I'm moving this week and I have to get rid of stuff.

I commute on folding bike part of the year, but haven't tried randonneuring on my folding bike. I keep meaning to...

But yeah, let me know what rim you need, I just might have it.
A relatively flat single wall rim should work, I'd like to not have to buy new spokes so rhe ERD will have t match the existing rim. Can you snap a couple pics of what you have?

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 06-25-19, 05:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Damnit, I just wrote a detailed reply that somehow got discarded when I went to upload a photo.

Whatever. These are 16 x 1.75 (305 mm) wheels, that is the smaller 16" size (the other being 16 x 1⅜" (349 mm). Cheap single wall, made in China, 28 spokes. They are built up as a pair of wheels with cheap steel hubs, and while I wouldn't mind taking them apart I don't have time for that now.

Send me a private message for more information. I'll upload a photo separately.
Old 06-25-19, 06:06 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

By the way, they are new. Never been ridden.
Old 06-25-19, 07:42 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts

I was in a bright yellow top with an equally bright green backpack and accessories and during daylight an absurd blue helmet brim. 1pm would put me about halfway up the Putnam County section, probably in the woods between Carmel and Carmel Hamlet. 6pm would have been southbound maybe right after the highway shoulder section (I think I took off the shade brim and tied it to my pack at a rest break where the trail left the highway) I almost remember a guy on a folder passing just south of there, as I don't think I saw anyone else for quite a while?

Starting at dawn 12 something rolling, about 16 elapsed, which pathetic as it is, is almost 2 hours better than when I first did the round trip last August - in part because the longer solstice day meant I could keep the speed up until the last five miles where I hit the bumpy parts after dark.
wow, that's seriously hardcore, I fall enough on two wheels I can't imagine riding on only one
very unsuccessful doing wheelies and manuals so I'd never be able to ride a uni...
Old 06-25-19, 01:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Centuries on folders. That's hardcore.

The only way to top that is to ride one of the cobbled classic races on a folder. You'd be the envy of everyone who wears Nutcase and Bern helmets.