Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Beach vacation observations

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-20-07, 06:04 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My extended family has been down at the NC coast enjoying a week at the beach. We have 16 in two houses we've rented.

I've drank more alcohol the past week than in the last 6 months-my daughter just got her bartender's license and her dad is really enjoying it.
I've eaten more "less healthy" food in the last week than in the last 6 months-we've enjoyed huge breakfasts that include biscuits, gravy, eggs, breakfast meat, fruits, etc.
The roads are flatter than flat-I've ridden over 200 miles and probably have less than 500 ft of climbing.
I CAN outride a Dachsund.......little critter tried to run me down-at least he had all 4 legs.
There are many more folks on road bikes down here-we've been coming to the same beach for 20 years and I've never seen so many.
There are also a number of folks trying out road riding on mountain bikes........just like how I and many of us got started.
Sixteen golf courses have closed in this area over the last 18 mos or so due to real estate becoming more valuable than the golf course income or in many cases there are just too many courses for the amount of play.
The golf game is in pretty good shape-played 4 times with scores of 75-75-81-76.
We missed coming to the beach last year so my back and chest had not seen the sun in two years-the cycling tan looked pretty wretched on the beach.
You have to wait much longer for a table of 16 at a restaurant that you do for a table of 4-go figure.
Seven days goes by way to quickly......

So is this what retirement is like**********????
Old 07-20-07, 06:18 PM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way you are eating, no wonder the average life span of a retired man is seven years, IIRC; however, w/the golf and riding, I don't think you fit into the sedentary life style the article was describing. Enjoy the retirement!
Old 07-20-07, 07:59 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- we used to rent at Duck on the beach... favorite seafood place was Billie's...

- but our 'blowout' was at Virginia Beach at a nice place in Sandbridge... lots of flat miles...

- but nothing compared to what i face now on the Gulf Coast: 6,000 miles of no hills, only headwinds...

- people think flatlanders have it easy; "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

:-)

p.s. i've been retired since '97 at the age of 41... life is *good*!
Old 07-20-07, 08:02 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Everything down the tubes in a week. It's going to be hard work to get rid of it, but I know you will.
Old 07-20-07, 10:13 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
JPPE, were you at the Atlantic coast (general Wilmington area) or Outer Banks. I'm headed to OBX tomorrow.
Old 07-20-07, 10:40 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Everything down the tubes in a week. It's going to be hard work to get rid of it, but I know you will.

Sounds like fun. Apparently you don't have acid reflux. If I ate that way I'd be screaming.....
Old 07-21-07, 02:59 AM
NC Dean

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Sport 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retirement sounds good...............
Old 07-21-07, 04:43 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- we used to rent at Duck on the beach... favorite seafood place was Billie's...

- but our 'blowout' was at Virginia Beach at a nice place in Sandbridge... lots of flat miles...

- but nothing compared to what i face now on the Gulf Coast: 6,000 miles of no hills, only headwinds...

- people think flatlanders have it easy; "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

:-)

p.s. i've been retired since '97 at the age of 41... life is *good*!
I think I've become somewhat semi-retired! A few years ago, when the company I worked for got bought out, I went freelance. It pays 3x as much but your actual billing time is a lot less. I've learned to simplify my life and discovered that I don't actively look for work. If it lands on my table, I'll take it, of course, and it usually means 2-4 weeks of major busyness. But then it may be followed by a couple months off. Or I'll work a weekend and then not have work for a week.

So, I basically swapped out my old "vacation time" with "work time"!

It's also cool I can work from anywhere, even the road, so I'm up in the cabin most of the summer, and I go down to Kansas in early winter, early spring. Plus, I can travel whenever I want, and if I have to work I just hole up in a hotel for a while.

What's hard is when you plan big projects, like painting your house, and suddenly you get booked for a month with your house half painted. But still better than the alternative.

I just had an opportunity show itself which would give me a lot more work/money and more prestige which translates into more money/less work, but it would really mess with this cool lifestyle. Don't know what to do. Hence my new slogan at the bottom of my posts.