Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

bikes vs. horses for erosion

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 02:44 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

before i go and try to search the net, are any of you familiar with any type of land usage studies that compared bikes and horses...outcome?

i ask because i might want to propose a trial of allowing mtn bikes on some trails that currently allow hikers and horses.

i would need to present my case in a professional manner.

thanks

mx
Old 10-31-09, 02:48 PM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
before i go and try to search the net, are any of you familiar with any type of land usage studies that compared bikes and horses...outcome?

i ask because i might want to propose a trial of allowing mtn bikes on some trails that currently allow hikers and horses.

i would need to present my case in a professional manner.

thanks

mx
I think IMBA has a study that they quote often comparing the different trail use erosion effects. Head over to https://imba.com
Old 10-31-09, 02:51 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen any studies, but I'd assume you're going with the fact that horses are WAY more destructive? I'd absolutly love to see some of those studies and wish you a great deal of luck.

Once factor around here for all of the horse trails (compared to MTB trails) is that horse owners tend to be better off financially and donate a good deal of money to the park districts.
Old 10-31-09, 03:02 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys!
Old 10-31-09, 03:08 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ca7erham;9960023[B
]I've never seen any studies, but I'd assume you're going with the fact that horses are WAY more destructive?[/b] I'd absolutly love to see some of those studies and wish you a great deal of luck.

Once factor around here for all of the horse trails (compared to MTB trails) is that horse owners tend to be better off financially and donate a good deal of money to the park districts.
oh i don't know that they are way more destructive or not? i suppose a lot would have to do with the amount of traffic of either horse or bike.

it just blows that they allow horse and hiker and not bikes. the area i am referring to is the black hills in SD. there is a possibility i am going there. not sure yet.

they allow bikes in certain areas but prohibit them at the heart of the the black hills reserve. I think it is home to one of the largest bison herds in North America or something. i would love to be able to see some of this area...but i am not getting a horse. i can only cover so much ground trail running.

i am unsure if they are concerned with wildlife or erosion. if they allowed bikes, i am pretty sure there would not be a ton of them on the trails. from what i gather, i think it is somewhat remote.

at any rate, i am jumping the the gun. i do not even know if i am going there. just getting prepared

mx

Last edited by mx_599; 10-31-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 04:28 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
oh i don't know that they are way more destructive or not? i suppose a lot would have to do with the amount of traffic of either horse or bike.

it just blows that they allow horse and hiker and not bikes. the area i am referring to is the black hills in SD. there is a possibility i am going there. not sure yet.
Here they do WAYYYYYY more damage because of the way our soil handles rain. Yeah, the black hills is a really cool area, I wish you luck.
Old 11-01-09, 07:17 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run on trails that allow horses and bikes, yes the horses dig deeper divits and make more erosion on the steeps, not on the flats.
Old 11-01-09, 11:40 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
MTB Magazine fought this back in the early 90's. Horses and MTBs were actually a good match for trails. Hoof prints break up the streams created by tire grooves. Tires break up the Hoof prints and smooth out the ride. Both groups need to volunteer to maintain good trails. But I don't have the research or remember the year it was argued and researched.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-02-09, 04:57 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
MTB Magazine fought this back in the early 90's. Horses and MTBs were actually a good match for trails. Hoof prints break up the streams created by tire grooves. Tires break up the Hoof prints and smooth out the ride. Both groups need to volunteer to maintain good trails. But I don't have the research or remember the year it was argued and researched.
i know this has been discussed before, thanks for the updated info everyone.

i will follow up with this post should anything ever become of it

mx