Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem fork vs cyclecross fork? Any real difference?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 02-25-11, 08:35 AM
IbisTouche

Bikes: 1 Speedster & 2 Ibis Touche, 2 Thorn Raven Tour, 2 Thorn Audax mk III, Pedersen, Koga Roadchamp, Centurion Super Le Mans, GT Karakoram Elite, Motobecane Trainer, Mtobecane Inter tandem and 9 cycles (singlecoaster, 2 - 3 gear Torpedo)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have just got new headset on one of the old Ibis Touche we have. We now realize that the stem is 2 mm too short...
We need a new fork somewhat longer.
Would there be any real difference between a tandem fork (ex comotion primevar) and a cyclecross fork? Would the cyclecross fork be too soft for us?
Old 02-25-11, 08:41 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Always best to contact the fork manufacturer's tech support folks to get the design limits perspective... which sometimes requires a phone call vs. Email to get a truly candid assessment, i.e., yeah, under what the legal department says so here's the real question... off the record, will this fork support a bike with a long wheelbase carrying 350lbs of rider weight.

That said, there are quite a few CX forks that have been marketed for use on tandems with or without some minor tweaks, e.g., Windwood's CX fork and the True Temper Alpha Q CX for Burley. Again, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 02-25-11, 09:45 AM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size is it...1 inch...1 1/8 ...??

Bill J.
Old 02-25-11, 09:49 AM
IbisTouche

Bikes: 1 Speedster & 2 Ibis Touche, 2 Thorn Raven Tour, 2 Thorn Audax mk III, Pedersen, Koga Roadchamp, Centurion Super Le Mans, GT Karakoram Elite, Motobecane Trainer, Mtobecane Inter tandem and 9 cycles (singlecoaster, 2 - 3 gear Torpedo)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answer. We will find out about the cx fork we have been offered by the LBS in Copenhagen. He said the fork on the Ibis Touche seemed to be an ordinary racing bike fork. It is too soft after our opinion (well - the whole bike is...), but we don´t know if the cx fork will be any stiffer. Best would be that it would handle well over long distances.
Old 02-25-11, 09:50 AM
IbisTouche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Size is 1 1/8.
Old 02-25-11, 11:34 AM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that the top of the fork tube could be 2mm below the top of the stem and still be okay to use. You just use the topcap without any spacers. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding your original post.)
Old 02-25-11, 11:41 AM
swamptandem

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IbisTouche
We have just got new headset on one of the old Ibis Touche we have. We now realize that the stem is 2 mm too short...
We need a new fork somewhat longer.
Would there be any real difference between a tandem fork (ex comotion primevar) and a cyclecross fork? Would the cyclecross fork be too soft for us?
Are you using road brakes, or cross brakes? That may also be something to consider.

I'm not familiar with "comotion primevar" forks. So, this may be a mute point. Just an observation.
Old 02-25-11, 12:26 PM
IbisTouche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are using the old standard stem and fork from Ibis, which is a threaded fork and a down-into-the-fork stem.

We are using cross brakes: low profile cantilevers from Shimano. Std from Ibis 1994.
Old 02-25-11, 03:22 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by swamptandem
I'm not familiar with "comotion primevar" forks. .
typo....

Co-Motion Primera, as in the steel fork that Co-Motion uses on it's Primera tandem.
Old 02-26-11, 08:45 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to get a headset with a lower stack height so you can use the forks you have. You might even be able to modify the headset you have to make it a bit shorter. I have done this on my bikes before.
Old 02-26-11, 10:40 PM
IbisTouche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another headset - I have been thinking this too. We have two Ibis Touche and was advised to use Chris King by two LBS. None of them seem to have wondered about the length of the fork, that the Chris King headset need a longer fork than the headset we had been using on the Ibis´. We have been waiting for the headset to come from USA to Denmark from November to February. I am pissed about all this and still now that Chris King is a very good headset, probably better than our old tandems. It could be a solution to use a less good quality headset, but I still search for a fork to use.
To modify the Chris King I haven´t heard about this before.