Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Analysis Paralysis (Much Easier to NOT Make a Decision)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Analysis Paralysis (Much Easier to NOT Make a Decision)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 09:07 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Remember, this year's Tiagras are generally as good as a 105 components were a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-25-14 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 09:09 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
If the top tube is not quite the ideal size, then in order to get both the reach and KOPS right you could try shorter or longer stems.

No substitute though for getting the right size frame when buying the bike.
Old 01-25-14, 09:46 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
First a disclaimer - I'm a regular in the C&V forum. I like older bikes. Take all this with a grain of salt.

Don't rule out steel. Listen to NOS888. The important features about any bike for any long ride, century or not, are that it fit, that it be comfortable, that its components function, and that it roll easily. If comfort is a concern, as it ought to be on a really long ride, choose your tires carefully.

Further disclaimers FWIW, I'm 65. I've been riding for decades but I rode my first century a year and a half ago, I think. I regularly ride distances of 65-75 miles. All my bikes are steel, 70's or 80's. My century was on a mid-70's Masi with 700x23mm tires. Most of my other bikes have 25mm tires, one has 28mm, another has 32mm. Our vintage tandem has 32mm. Any of them can be comfortable.
Old 02-01-14, 01:27 PM
barrykai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a new 2013 Gran Fondo 2.1 at a big discount since it was last years. Today I did 40 miles and it was the easiest 40 miles I've ever done, however, I'm coming from a Fuji Absolute flat bar fitness bike. It's surprising how big the differences are between the bikes but much of it can be attributed to the aerodynamic advantage of drop bars vs flat bars and the 10 plus pound weight loss. Also, the carbon seems to transfer much more power of my pedal stroke into moving the bike forward. One unpleasant surprise is how much toe overlap there is into the front wheel which will be even worse if and when I move to a longer crank. The other concern is the matte black finish has some carbon fade imperfections that look like water spots. Someone described it as leafing? I'm told that both of these items are normal but I don't have and experience with either.
Old 02-01-14, 01:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
$2000 buys a lot of bike. You'd have to work hard to end up with a dog at that price point. Shop a few bikes in the 1.5-2k and test ride a them (bring your own pedals and shoes if you already own them. Pick the one that fits the nearest to spot on, and feels best.

The point here is that good fit and ride trumps whatever subtle differences in the quality of the components.

BTW- unless you have a clear winner at near to 2k, don't blow the entire budget. Shoes, helmet and other stuff can add up to a decent chunk of change.

Also, having ridden many, many century and longer rides, I believe that the one thing that makes the biggest single difference is a pair of well fitting comfortable shorts, so make sure there's dough in the budget for those too.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-01-14 at 01:49 PM.