Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Both brakes on FG?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)
View Poll Results: Fixed Gear: Front brake only?
Front brake only.
28.95%
Both front & rear brakes.
71.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Both brakes on FG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 03:32 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Both brakes on FG?

The Kilo is currently undergoing phase 1 of its long overdue rebuild. New wheels, cog, and chain. Phase 2 will be a new crank and bars. That being said, I'm going full time fixed. I have plans to ride some longer events, maybe a century and perhaps a 200K (gotta justify that RUSA membership, right?)

Anyways... since I am going from SS to FG I am really considering taking the back brake off. I'd like to hear opinions on this before I do, especially those that put big miles in.

(If you are pro-brakeless, this thread doesn't apply to you. Thank you)
Old 04-18-18, 03:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I vote both, It's nicer to use than F only.
Old 04-18-18, 04:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Mine only has a front brake, but if I were to ride centuries and brevets on it, I'd install a rear.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-18-18, 04:29 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
What possible "benefit" is there other than to lose a few grams, and be "fixie-cool" by removing the rear brake from a LD/FG machine?
Removing the possibility to "feather" the rear brake on steep descents to prevent over-spin, giving up maximum stopping performance and losing the important "hands-on-hoods" and leverage on both hoods while standing positions you get what in return?

Style points?

Style points won't get you up and over grades, afford a comfortable and efficient position for long hours of riding or provide a margin of safety when dead-dog-tired with weakening legs and slowing reaction time.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 04-18-18, 04:31 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah, unless there's some reason you want to take it off, I'd let it be.
Old 04-19-18, 06:59 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Everything that Bandera said is absolute truth.

I've ridden multi-day cross-state event rides, centuries, and long mixed surface road jaunts fixed and I've never regretted having a rear brake.
Old 04-19-18, 10:27 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Never have I said to myself, I wish there wasn't a brake! If you don't need it great but when you do you will be glad you have it. Plus it keeps things symmetrical and if you have drop bars you won't have to do silly things to have a lever hood.
Old 04-19-18, 01:19 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My FG bikes all have no drilling for back brake, so I just use front. My NJS have drilling for neither, so I use a clamp-on occasionally. Other times such as when I'm riding my favorite, usually empty bike path, I don't bother with a brake. This particular path sees very light use, and is a long way from a city, so the risk is minimal. My Pinarello X-Track never sees the street, so it's OK with no brake drillings, and no brakes.
Old 04-19-18, 01:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Riding centuries? Not all centuries are flat. Two very real reasons to have two brakes - gives you two of the best handholds you can get going uphill on a fix gear. And, going down any serious (say 6 mile, 2000') descents, having brake redundancy could save your life. (Braking with your legs just doesn't really happen pedaling 200+ RPM at 40+ mph.) Never mind that with two brakes you can eat or get to your pockets with either hand in a paceline and that slowing ahead isn't an issue.

On a century with major climbs, that second hood will be worth its weight in gold. And once you have gone there, the extra weight of the lever, cable and caliper isn't much.

Ben
Old 04-19-18, 01:35 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by krusty
My FG bikes all have no drilling for back brake, so I just use front. My NJS have drilling for neither, so I use a clamp-on occasionally. Other times such as when I'm riding my favorite, usually empty bike path, I don't bother with a brake. This particular path sees very light use, and is a long way from a city, so the risk is minimal. My Pinarello X-Track never sees the street, so it's OK with no brake drillings, and no brakes.
Long distance cycling, generally considered to be at least a 100 mile distance, and organized Brevet events ranging from 200-1,200 kilometers don't make much use of MUPs, empty or not. The bike set-up requirements for hours on end of effort at pace in all weathers in varied "scenic" terrain with a self supported load on indifferent road surfaces and with the mental pressure of a timer/clock running are not the same as a nice brisk Saturday AM FG ride on local roads.

There is an interesting (or not) BF sub-forum Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling that has an active community of experienced LD riders, including FG riders who choose a self-imposed handicap on what is already a challenging type of cycling. A good place to ask the OP's question to get a response from the LD/FG types who "been there, done that, doing it yet again".

-Bandera
Old 04-19-18, 02:59 PM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Long distance cycling, generally considered to be at least a 100 mile distance, and organized Brevet events ranging from 200-1,200 kilometers don't make much use of MUPs, empty or not. The bike set-up requirements for hours on end of effort at pace in all weathers in varied "scenic" terrain with a self supported load on indifferent road surfaces and with the mental pressure of a timer/clock running are not the same as a nice brisk Saturday AM FG ride on local roads.

There is an interesting (or not) BF sub-forum Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling that has an active community of experienced LD riders, including FG riders who choose a self-imposed handicap on what is already a challenging type of cycling. A good place to ask the OP's question to get a response from the LD/FG types who "been there, done that, doing it yet again".

-Bandera
I probably should have completed my thoughts rather than posting and running off to FB. If a frame is drilled for 2 brakes, it would be silly to omit one. If planning long events with many other cyclists present, it would be smarter to find a frame that will accommodate both rather than try to make do with a frame that takes one or none.
Old 04-19-18, 04:00 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm always glad to hear from those that do FG distance rides. Badass for sure!
Old 04-19-18, 06:12 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Been riding fixed on road and off road for 17 years with FB only, and can honestly say I have never missed having a RB, ever.
Saw the lever off your right hood and you'll never miss it.
Old 04-19-18, 10:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Cool, but having a RB is undoubtedly more comfortable. You didn't miss the RB because you got used to not using it, not because it doesn't come in handy (see what I did there)
Old 04-19-18, 10:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Been riding fixed on road and off road for 17 years with FB only, and can honestly say I have never missed having a RB, ever.
Saw the lever off your right hood and you'll never miss it.
I've been riding fixed, mostly on the road, for 40 years and never regretted having a rear brake. One particular incident I was really glad I had it; coming down from McKenzie Pass to Sisters, OR. I was into the flow and going fast when I realized the next turn was much sharper than anything I had seen. Two good brakes that knocked my speed down from perhaps 45 mph to say 30 or less very quickly were much appreciated! (I had changed cogs at the top and was in a 42-13 so that speed down that hill was easily doable.)

I actually find rear brakes are better on fix gears than the road because you have instant feedback when you lock up, kinda like anti-lock brakes.

Ben
Old 04-20-18, 01:08 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
When I would take my FG into the canyons having two brakes were really helpful on the descents. Sometimes the descent is long and twisty and it's good to be able to feather both brakes and set up for corners while your legs are spin spin spinning away. Other times the descent is fairly steep and it takes all you've got to keep up with the cranks but you still need to modulate your speed, unfortunately too much front brake while your legs are barely hanging on can induce some scary speed wobbles that are really difficult to control because your legs are still spinning like lightning!! A rear brake is your friend in that situation. Of course having redundancy in your braking isn't a bad idea when you go for those long outings.

Most of the time it isn't needed but it's good to have it, especially when you venture into more ambitious athletic riding.
Old 04-20-18, 06:37 AM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by TMonk
Cool, but having a RB is undoubtedly more comfortable. You didn't miss the RB because you got used to not using it, not because it doesn't come in handy (see what I did there)
No, I get plenty of use out of the rear brake on freewheel bikes, so its not that I'm used to not having it. And on my BMX race bikes, I only have a RB.

I've tried riding fixed with and without a RB. I have come to the conclusion that on a FG its just unnecessary. The stopping power of a RB is minimal, and indeed diminishes further when the FB is applied, thereby unweighting the rear wheel an amount proportional to the stopping power of the FB. Heavy braking with the FB will just cause the rear wheel to skid (or lift off the ground), which actually creates a dangerous situation for an unskilled cyclist.

Given the minor role of the RB (compared to the FB) for slowing a bicycle, legs can do the same job and possibly better. I do not care to have my legs suddenly locked by a RB skid. Would rather just use my legs to modulate and preserve the fluidity.

Perhaps a rear brake is useful for a skilled fixed gear rider in some situations, like mountain descents, as some posters have suggested, but frankly I would choose to ride a geared bike in that situation.

In addition to regular FG road and gravel riding, I sometimes ride a FG on hilly technical singletrack (mostly to handicap myself when riding with slower riders) and I've never really been in a situation where I wished I had a RB.

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-20-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 07:21 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
My personal POVs are closest to those expressed by @mihlbach and all of my road fixed gear bikes are front brake only (I don’t ride fixed offroad). I actually find it easier to modulate rear wheel braking with my legs to prevent unwanted skidding than with a mechanical rear brake. I routinely do long fast descents with no problems using just the front brake to control my speed, while maintaining a smooth pedaling cadence to avoid bouncing and instability. Even on my geared and singlespeed bikes, I use the rear brake sparingly. As @mihlbach points out, once you apply a strong force to the front brake, the rear brake becomes more of a hindrance than a help. The main situation in which a rear brake is most useful are very slick conditions where a front brake cannot be used, and even in these situations I prefer a legs brake over a mechanical brake. As far as loaded touring, I will always choose a geared bike over a SSFG, and this is one situation in which a rear brake is mandatory.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-20-18, 07:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Cool, but having a RB is undoubtedly more comfortable. You didn't miss the RB because you got used to not using it when riding fixed, not because it doesn't come in handy (see what I did there)
edited

@mihlbach there is nothing inherently advantageous to not having a RB; your arguments are essentially that it's just not necessary, which is probably true. I just want to point out that the same logic is employed by rides who choose to ride brakeless as well.

Over the years I went from riding brakeless, to FB only, and now on to dual brakes. Go figure.

Last edited by TMonk; 04-20-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 07:33 AM
mihlbach

edited

@mihlbach there is nothing inherently advantageous to not having a RB; your arguments are essentially that it's just not necessary, which is probably true.
Yes

I just want to point out that the same logic is employed by rides who choose to ride brakeless as well.
I dabble in brakelessness a bit. From experience, I would say that a FB provides significant advantages over having no brake at all. It allows you to stop faster and with much less effort and transforms at what speeds you can and can't safely ride, particularly on heavily traveled roads with numerous intersections, pedestrians, and traffic. The option of a RB, on the other hand, has fewer, if any, obvious benefits. But by all means use as many brakes as you like.

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-20-18 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 07:46 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

There is no such thing as a “brakeless” fixed gear bike. It is simply a bike with rear braking provided by the rider via back pedaling effort. The real issue is that no bike should be ridden on public roads w/o having a front brake, regardless of the type of rear brake that is installed. It is just as bad to ride a bike with a rear coaster brake only as to ride fixed gear “brakeless.”

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-20-18, 07:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

dont be pedantic
Old 04-20-18, 07:52 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

dont be pedantic
Who are you calling pedantic ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 04-20-18, 09:56 AM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The real issue is that no bike should be ridden on public roads w/o having a front brake, regardless of the type of rear brake that is installed. It is just as bad to ride a bike with a rear coaster brake only as to ride fixed gear “brakeless.”
I'll happily contribute more pedantry. Many bikes come equipped with only a rear brake (beach cruiser, BMX, kids bikes, "brakeless" fixies). Should you race thru traffic or bomb down mountains with only a rear brake? No, but it is perfectly fine to ride such bikes on public roads without front brakes and people have been safely doing so for a long time.
Old 04-20-18, 10:02 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by mihlbach
I'll happily contribute more pedantry. Many bikes come equipped with only a rear brake (beach cruiser, BMX, kids bikes, "brakeless" fixies). Should you race thru traffic or bomb down mountains with only a rear brake? No, but it is perfectly fine to ride such bikes on public roads without front brakes and people have been safely doing so for a long time.
Tell that to my neighbor’s kid who slammed into a car that turned in front of him while he was riding his BMX bike with only a coaster brake.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 04-20-18 at 12:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.