Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Panniers on rear rack on Bent's??

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 06:37 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts

My wife and I will again be playing at "touring" this summer, ie: (we take some days and just head out, then go as far as we can and hope we get back in time, LOL), Our bent's have the "rear racks" at the moment. Is it ok to put the "panniers" on rear rack on a bent, it seems that even our Sun Bent's have a "optional" rack that fit's "underneath and forward" of the rear wheel. Which would be the better racks to use and why, thanks!

Old 04-04-11, 07:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The advantage of using a mid-ship rack, either by itself or in combination with a rear rack, is better weight distribution. More of an issue with heavy touring loads.
I use panniers on a rear rack for commuting on my V-Rex.
Old 04-04-11, 09:06 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
The advantage of using a mid-ship rack, either by itself or in combination with a rear rack, is better weight distribution. More of an issue with heavy touring loads.
I use panniers on a rear rack for commuting on my V-Rex.
Same here. Midship racks are great for carrying stuff, but they're harder to get into when stopped.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-04-11, 09:35 PM
bjjoondo 

I guess I should add that we will be doing, "motels" and not "camping" so we don't need to carry "lot's of gear". We did our 4 days last June, (on DF's), with just panniers and tail pack. With having Reiter's Syndrome, I have a real hard time being in any state of comfort in a tent/pad/sleeping bag, (it's a bummer!!). Just wanted to know if it "really" effected a bent's "handling" to have "panniers" on the rear rack. (Note: We will be riding the EZ-1 SX's as it would be very unfair of me to ride my EZ-Sport AX, while the wife is having to ride a EZ-1 SX, jmho). Thanks again, all opinions and comments welcome!

Old 04-05-11, 07:26 AM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
My wife and I will again be playing at "touring" this summer, ie: (we take some days and just head out, then go as far as we can and hope we get back in time, LOL), Our bent's have the "rear racks" at the moment. Is it ok to put the "panniers" on rear rack on a bent, it seems that even our Sun Bent's have a "optional" rack that fit's "underneath and forward" of the rear wheel. Which would be the better racks to use and why, thanks!
Choices, choices.... a lot of options. I will say I just got a set of the 54 liter Ortlieb recumbent panniers - and they are honkin huge. And they are specific to recumbents, which also means not cheap. But they will work well for me.
Old 04-05-11, 10:40 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Rear rack is very common, I commute daily with two Arkel front pannier on the rear. Weight-wise, it will make more sense to put on a front rack and keep the weight forward and you'll still have the mentioned convenience of easy access, compared to mid-ship mounts. One test to try . . . put your rear wheel on a scale, with and without loaded panniers and see what the weight distribution is front to rear in both cases. Then try same with the cyclist in place. While 50-50 could be ideal, with an LWB anything approaching 35/65 F/R should be good. If you find the front wheel is only seeing 20-25% with cyclist in place, then I'd consider moving the weight forward.

The defects I think you'll experience with a severe rearward weight bias are that you may do a wheelie on some steep uphills (never done it myself), the front tire will wash out more easily on loose surfaces like gravel or snow/ice (have done), and if you have a midship mounted kickstand then you may get a wheelie there too (have done).
Old 04-06-11, 08:38 AM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
Rear rack is very common, I commute daily with two Arkel front pannier on the rear. Weight-wise, it will make more sense to put on a front rack and keep the weight forward and you'll still have the mentioned convenience of easy access, compared to mid-ship mounts. One test to try . . . put your rear wheel on a scale, with and without loaded panniers and see what the weight distribution is front to rear in both cases. Then try same with the cyclist in place. While 50-50 could be ideal, with an LWB anything approaching 35/65 F/R should be good. If you find the front wheel is only seeing 20-25% with cyclist in place, then I'd consider moving the weight forward.

The defects I think you'll experience with a severe rearward weight bias are that you may do a wheelie on some steep uphills (never done it myself), the front tire will wash out more easily on loose surfaces like gravel or snow/ice (have done), and if you have a midship mounted kickstand then you may get a wheelie there too (have done).
Thanks for the info., well at least the kickstand won't be problem, they changed the "frame" design from the older model EZ-1's for our 2010 version EZ-1's and the ONLY kickstand that will work is a "SUN" product that fit's in the drop out so it's at the very END of the frame!