Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How precise...

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

How precise...

Old 02-12-20, 12:53 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
How precise...

I am finding that the range of fit distance on my saddle post height is less than a cm. Just a hair too short and my knees hurt, a hair too long and my back hurts. Get it just right and both are okay. But it's a teeny tiny "window" that I have to hit. I am wondering if that's just me or others need it exactly on the spot? It's an issue since my bike is a folding bike and the seat post gets dropped to fold and I don't always get it exactly in the same place. You'd think there would be some wiggle room, but apparently not according to my body. Just curious if others have to be spot on or if they have a bit of room where it is okay...
Old 02-12-20, 01:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Like everything else in fitting your bike, it probably depends on where everything else is for your particular circumstance. Things such as reach to the handlebars and where the bottom bracket is underneath you to name a few. Possibly changing up the reach might give you more lee-way in seat height if that is an important need to you. And then there is the thing that everyone is different.

I've ridden road bikes and sometimes had and inch or tad more difference than my own bikes for quite a few miles and never felt anything other than I didn't quite like it.
Old 02-12-20, 05:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
I think the range is at max, ~4mm. I'm talking about the range of most efficient pedaling. That said, I see a lot of folks riding with saddles that must be 1.5" too low. People get used to weird stuff, especially young people, and once they get their neuromuscular system trained to it, it's hard to change.
Old 02-15-20, 07:48 AM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, others -- like me -- are just like you. Adjusting the saddle -- fore/aft or height -- by just 5mm results in me losing so much power, that it can literally drop my speed IN HALF while going up a 10%+ grade!!! At least in my case, it can also affect cockpit positioning. At my current saddle fore/aft, if my reach is more than 56cm (saddle tip to bar) or the bar is more than 6cm below the saddle -- even by 5-10mm -- my power drops 20%+. If I move the saddle 5mm forward, that power loss occurs if the reach is only 53cm, and bar drop is only 4cm. Go figure!
Likes For pakossa:
Old 02-17-20, 11:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
My body can withstand a small range, but I can definitively feel it when specs are off. Perhaps your body is a little more...capricious

You should build yourself a tool to quickly adjust you seat height after you unfold your bike, like a piece of wood or a ruler?
Old 02-25-20, 11:45 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
a hair too long and my back hurts. Get it just right and both are okay. But it's a teeny tiny "window" that I have to hit....
Is your back hurting because you are bending over slightly more?
Old 02-25-20, 12:07 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Is your back hurting because you are bending over slightly more?
I'm actually arched over slightly rather than straight. When the post is that tiny bit longer, the seat moves back
just a bit, and the reach is more. This actually flattens my back angle rather than arching it (my seat can't go back any further
on the Thompson post). I was thinking maybe I need a set back seat post, but that's rather a big production, as it will mean a new
stem and possibly raised bars (cannot make my stem any longer). When I get it just right, there's no problems. It's just that sometimes when I fold it, I lose the perfect setting. I am thinking of getting an engraving pen to mark the post since it doesn't have any. And I was just wondering if other people need their fit dialed in just so perfectly; seems like some do and some don't. Lol.
Old 02-28-20, 11:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I'm actually arched over slightly rather than straight. When the post is that tiny bit longer, the seat moves back
just a bit, and the reach is more. This actually flattens my back angle rather than arching it (my seat can't go back any further
on the Thompson post). I was thinking maybe I need a set back seat post, but that's rather a big production, as it will mean a new
stem and possibly raised bars (cannot make my stem any longer). When I get it just right, there's no problems. It's just that sometimes when I fold it, I lose the perfect setting. I am thinking of getting an engraving pen to mark the post since it doesn't have any. And I was just wondering if other people need their fit dialed in just so perfectly; seems like some do and some don't. Lol.
Good idea. Clearly, that would help you.