Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 02-04-20, 10:29 AM
angine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Finally got around to watching Roma on Netflix last night.

I had a pang of emotion throughout the final third (as much as I could since the events were pretty much foreshadowed on the side of a freight train), but tbh I was more connected/intrigued by the over the top cinematography and wide tracking shots than anything going on in the thread bare plot. There wasn't enough substance for me to become immersed as what the critics and cheerleaders of the film have reported.

Technical rating of 8/10. Enjoyment rating of about 5/10.
Likes For angine:
Old 02-06-20, 01:17 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD Optimo, Giant Defy, Verenti Technique, Cougar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Le Mans '66 (2019) starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon.

I missed this in the main cinemas near us but we have a cinema in the local university that show films about one month later and for one night only. I'm not even remotely a petrolhead but I absolutely loved this thunderous film which really does deserve to be seen on the big screen. 9/10.

In the US I believe this film is called Ford v Ferrari.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 02-06-20, 03:22 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis. Current: 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
1917 - Meh. I found that I didn't really care for or about the main characters. And while it was technically great - the single-shot thing, some areas of the trenches - there were just too many plot holes or elements that stretched the limits of believability. Go rent Gallipoli or something, instead.
Old 02-07-20, 01:46 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD Optimo, Giant Defy, Verenti Technique, Cougar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

'Baby Driver' (2017) starring Ansel Elgort, Lily James, Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, John Hamm and Eiza González.

First off, it's a complete coincidence that I've watched two 'car' films back-to-back! Normally, I'd rather have my nasal hair pulled and platted before watching anything 'Fast and Furious' but I can remember this film getting good reviews when it came out and it popped up on Sony movies a few weeks ago so I caught up with it this afternoon. Ansel Elgort plays 'Baby' a young man with severe tinnitus who finds relief in constant pop music played through his many iPods. Thankfully, the music is superb and when was the last time you heard Queen's 'Brighton Rock' in a soundtrack? Despite his young age he's an ace getaway driver and he's paying back Doc (Spacey) a gangster, whose car he previously stole, by being the getaway driver on every job that Doc masterminds. He pays off his debt to Doc and hopes to settle into a normal life with his new girlfriend Debora (played by the gorgeous Lily James) but Doc forces him to do another getaway driver job on a Post Office heist with a particularly nasty and dangerous crew. Over the top driving scenes and violent gangster shoot-outs aside I really enjoyed this film! Sometimes it's just nice to go with the flow and park-up the brain for a couple of hours. 8/10.

Last edited by Welshboy; 02-07-20 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 02-12-20, 04:58 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
In honor of Terry Jones' recent passing I rewatched Life of Brian. Still funny as hell.

Last edited by colorider; 02-14-20 at 09:07 AM.
Likes For colorider:
Old 02-13-20, 07:38 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 299 Posts
The other night, I watched The Place Beyond the Pines.

I really thought I hadn't seen this movie before, so I hit "play".

Then as I watch, I'm thinkin' I've seen this before. As it goes on, I think I've only seen maybe the ending except the ending I saw was really near the beginning. Anyway, the movie gets past the first ending and I'm thinkin' I've seen this middle part before. Then after the second ending, the most irritating and last part of the movie starts and I'm thinkin' I've seen this entire movie.

Sure enough, I've seen the entire movie. It's well filmed in a nice looking town, but the entire movie is a downer. I must have put this movie out of my mind the first time I watched it because it's such a downer.

I sure hope I remember that I watched it TWICE so that I don't have to go through this again.

2 out of 10 stars.
Old 02-17-20, 12:34 PM
Wonka

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
The other night, I watched The Place Beyond the Pines

I really thought I hadn't seen this movie before, so I hit "play".

Then as I watch, I'm thinkin' I've seen this before. As it goes on, I think I've only seen maybe the ending except the ending I saw was really near the beginning. Anyway, the movie gets past the first ending and I'm thinkin' I've seen this middle part before. Then after the second ending, the most irritating and last part of the movie starts and I'm thinkin' I've seen this entire movie.

Sure enough, I've seen the entire movie. It's well filmed in a nice looking town, but the entire movie is a downer. I must have put this movie out of my mind the first time I watched it because it's such a downer.

I sure hope I remember that I watched it TWICE so that I don't have to go through this again.

2 out of 10 stars.
The first half is one of my favorite movies, the second half is really slow and dull. My tip for anyone watching this is to just stop about halfway through, you'll know when.
Likes For Wonka: