Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly Ogre for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Surly Ogre for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 08:14 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
ACK I posted a long response, but the system logged me out and I lost the message - ARGH!

What I wanted to say is that I have been watching the used market for a year and a half and the market for used bikes is finally righting itself since the pandemic messed with it. And it makes sense. I could buy a brand new touring bike with great reviews this very minute for $1500 with racks and more bells and whistles than this one had. This is a 6 year old bike sitting in someone's storage area and he wanted to free up space. Since his move a couple years ago, he has stopped using it and uses his road bike more because the area he is in and the people he has found to ride with all ride road bikes.

Did I see a receipt? No. I could lie and say I asked about it, but nothing seemed fishy about this transaction - he doesn't have tons of things for sale. (only this bike) and his reviews were all good and sporadic - like a normal person just selling something they don't need.

The listing just had a TERRIBLE title. The actual listing was more complete. Over the years I've gotten a lot of things this way - mistyped name, not knowing the market, etc. Not everyone is savvy. He saw he a person could buy a new ogre for $1300 right now with newer tech. Used value is usually 50% of new. So he listed his for $600 since he had accessories to throw in.
Likes For mams99:
Old 07-31-23, 08:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
You dun good.

Here's another option that would work well

https://www.thebikesmiths.com/collec...35638828662944
Old 07-31-23, 09:51 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
I got it!!!

It took me forever to find time to get it with needing to help watch my MIL with dementia, so I was lucky it was still available, but it was!!!! It was 100 miles each way to get it, but worth the long drive. The seller was knowledgeable and friendly. He just rides his road bike more now that he's moved. It's been sitting in storage.

It fits like a glove. It feels JUST RIGHT. I am so stoked! It's in my car still because I just got home an hour ago, but the search is over. I "think" it is a 2015 Surly Ogre. I'm thrilled with the micro shifting. I wish it had a thru axel, but, for $600 to get this bike, with the front and racks Surly racks, fenders, and 2 ortlieb bags in near perfect shape (a few smudge marks, no damage) I'm soooo happy.

Note to sellers though - more information helps you sell. This was simply listed as "bike for sale" in the listing - nothing else in the title. I found it because I did a search specifically for a small Surly Ogre which was listed elsewhere in the listing.

So, to try it out more thoroughly tomorrow. .
Congrats! Enjoy the new bike! You got a killer deal. BTW the "Bike for sale" listing may have worked in your favor. Many people may have simply passed that over without clicking. Had it specified the bike, and price, more people may have considered it.
Old 07-31-23, 11:58 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Originally Posted by fishboat
Congrats..that's one heck of a bike. Particularly if it fits really well. The bike found a good home..yours. You're fortunate the guy's ad was so poor. If he had "Ogre" in the title, at that price & package, it wouldn't have lasted a day in my region. I would have been tempted to buy it and then find a friend that "needed" it.

If you're somewhat new to this, don't underestimate the value of really good, easy rolling tires. They are worth the investment. They can completely change the feel of a bike and make it a heck of a lot more fun to ride..and much easier too. I tried a number of tires on my touring bike and stopped looking after I ran the Schwalbe Big Bens. They roll easy and feel even better when you ride with a touring load. Run 45-60 psi in the tires..probably 50-55psi would be plenty.

Are there other good tires..sure...but a bird in the hand and all that.

There are many different versions of the tires and confusing standards in tire size. Do not get "greenguard" or the "plus" versions as they are much heavier, don't roll as well, and are overkill in terms of flat protection in your intended use. Your current size tires are 29x2.1". Unfortunately EU-based tire manufactures will also call this same size as 28x2.1". It's best to refer to the "ETRTO" size to be sure what you're buying. The ETRTO size of your current tires is 54-622. (54mm wide, 622mm inner diameter). The Big Ben size you're looking for is 28x2.0 (50-622). This is the tire spec:

The 28x1.5" (40x622) will also fit and are a fair bit lighter (in weight) tire. They won't be as cushy in ride, but will work well. The 2 inch version above would look better..personal preference.

Your local bike shop probably won't carry these tires. Don't let them talk you into "another tire that's basically the same" as, odds are, they won't be and you'll be wasting your money. The bike shop will sell you what they carry...
I bought the tires (the bigger of the two you posted). Thanks for the rec.
Old 07-31-23, 04:05 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Note to sellers though - more information helps you sell. This was simply listed as "bike for sale" in the listing - nothing else in the title. I found it because I did a search specifically for a small Surly Ogre which was listed elsewhere in the listing.
This happens. The seller just wanted it gone and came up with what they considered a fair price. They aren't an evil re-seller like me.....(I rarely flip bikes anymore although two are in the queue) so it worked out for you.

Last edited by StarBiker; 07-31-23 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 04:14 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
I think you should pretty good about this purchase and not worry that you've contributed to theft. Where I live we have a pretty robust market in stolen bicycles and it is a crime of opportunity. Bike thieves don't usually put effort into fabricating a back story for so little profit and they are never kind, helpful, or informative. It's much easier to just cut off discussion and disappear when a buyer asks too many questions. OTOH kind, helpful, and informative people are often very bad at listing their bikes effectively.
As a seller I would ignore a lot of questions. I take many pics and know exactly where the bikes I have for sale came from. I think only two people ever left without buying one a being thumb sucker, and the other paying $75 for a perfect mountain bike thought it was cheap. It sold for $75 in a week, and needed nothing but a rider. (Boy I dealt with a couple goofballs on that bike) can't remember the brand/model.
Old 07-31-23, 05:34 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
As a seller I would ignore a lot of questions. I take many pics and know exactly where the bikes I have for sale came from. I think only two people ever left without buying one a being thumb sucker, and the other paying $75 for a perfect mountain bike thought it was cheap. It sold for $75 in a week, and needed nothing but a rider.
Fair point, and I certainly did not mean to impugn all unhelpful and uninformative sellers as being bike thieves. Rather I was simply agreeing with the OP that the fact that this seller was helpful and informative makes it far less likely that the seller was also a bike thief.
Old 08-01-23, 07:18 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

I bought the tires (the bigger of the two you posted). Thanks for the rec.
Good move!

I was out riding a different (from my touring bike) bike (Bianchi Grizzly mtn bike) yesterday that also has a set of Big Ben's on it and again was taken with how easy and fast the tires were. They fly.

Riding your current setup some more and then mount the Big Bens..I'd be curious to know what you think about the difference in ride.
Old 08-01-23, 07:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
and of course there are all kinds of great tires suited for touring in much narrower widths, lighter etc that will make the bike faster and feel more nimble.
Old 08-01-23, 09:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If you'll all forgive a contrary question:

My perception of "long rail trails" is that they're rather limited. The Katy Trail and the Mickelson Trail, along with the GAP (plus C&O, but that's not really a Rail trail) are trips of about a week of riding. Ditto the Erie Canal Trail. So a longer tour, say 2-4 weeks, is going to have to include quite a bit of road riding. Similarly, the route across Washington state, though mapped, is still 25% roads.

Now I'd expect the Ogre would be a perfectly fine MTB for touring, perhaps better than some MTBs because of the tire width. Forest Service roads should be easily accessible, for instance. I wouldn't mind trying the Great Divide route on an Ogre, except perhaps for the weight, but it'd be a different kind of riding than rail trails.

Am I totally off base?
Old 08-01-23, 10:53 AM
mams99

Originally Posted by pdlamb
If you'll all forgive a contrary question:

My perception of "long rail trails" is that they're rather limited. The Katy Trail and the Mickelson Trail, along with the GAP (plus C&O, but that's not really a Rail trail) are trips of about a week of riding. Ditto the Erie Canal Trail. So a longer tour, say 2-4 weeks, is going to have to include quite a bit of road riding. Similarly, the route across Washington state, though mapped, is still 25% roads.

Now I'd expect the Ogre would be a perfectly fine MTB for touring, perhaps better than some MTBs because of the tire width. Forest Service roads should be easily accessible, for instance. I wouldn't mind trying the Great Divide route on an Ogre, except perhaps for the weight, but it'd be a different kind of riding than rail trails.

Am I totally off base?
I can't answer as I don't know, but I see several world tourers using a Surly Ogre for everything. If I know I'm going to be on a lot of roads for a trip, I can change tires, right? Will the ride be different otherwise?
Old 08-01-23, 11:06 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I got it!!!

It took me forever to find time to get it with needing to help watch my MIL with dementia, so I was lucky it was still available, but it was!!!! It was 100 miles each way to get it, but worth the long drive. The seller was knowledgeable and friendly. He just rides his road bike more now that he's moved. It's been sitting in storage.

It fits like a glove. It feels JUST RIGHT. I am so stoked! It's in my car still because I just got home an hour ago, but the search is over. I "think" it is a 2015 Surly Ogre. I'm thrilled with the micro shifting. I wish it had a thru axel, but, for $600 to get this bike, with the front and racks Surly racks, fenders, and 2 ortlieb bags in near perfect shape (a few smudge marks, no damage) I'm soooo happy.

So, to try it out more thoroughly tomorrow. .
Congrats! I assume you have a good floor pump and are familiar with changing tires. Have fun. Don’t worry about through axles. For kicks and giggles take the fenders and racks off. Fiddle around with seat and bar position. Have a shop check the wheels and spoke tension. Ride, ride, ride. Play w different tires. And then add tourimg stuff little by little.
Old 08-01-23, 12:01 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by LeeG
Congrats! I assume you have a good floor pump and are familiar with changing tires. Have fun. Don’t worry about through axles. For kicks and giggles take the fenders and racks off. Fiddle around with seat and bar position. Have a shop check the wheels and spoke tension. Ride, ride, ride. Play w different tires. And then add tourimg stuff little by little.
I do have a good floor pump and I do know how to change tires. But you all who take things on and off bikes are way more energetic than I am. I DETEST taking things on and off the bike - like racks and such. I now have a nice selection of bikes - one for grocery shopping and tooling about town, one to throw in the trunk of the car or on a train, one for the trainer, and one for doing rail trail and eventually touring for trips (3-10 days).

Thank goodness my partner who barely rides (and didn't learn to ride a bike until he was 18) understands that not one bike can do it all very well!

ETA - but I did just realize it will be the first time I will ever use a Presta valve tire!
Old 08-01-23, 12:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
ETA - but I did just realize it will be the first time I will ever use a Presta valve tire!
Presta valves are very simple. I think Park makes the best you tube videos on bike maintenance stuff.

But some pumps do not use a lever like the Park pump, just press on and pull off. And some pumps like the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive thread onto the valve.
Old 08-01-23, 03:15 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I do have a good floor pump and I do know how to change tires. But you all who take things on and off bikes are way more energetic than I am. I DETEST taking things on and off the bike - like racks and such. I now have a nice selection of bikes - one for grocery shopping and tooling about town, one to throw in the trunk of the car or on a train, one for the trainer, and one for doing rail trail and eventually touring for trips (3-10 days).

Thank goodness my partner who barely rides (and didn't learn to ride a bike until he was 18) understands that not one bike can do it all very well!

I’m 20 yrs behind the times even though I toured, raced and owned a bike shop 40 yrs ago. Re. prestas, make sure the little valve tip is screwed down after inflating and if you use the knurled nut on the valve stem check that its snug after inflating the tire.

The reason for removing the racks/fenders is that it’s not uncommon for those bolts to loosen if you’ve never installed and snugged them down to begin with. When I had my shop a lot of the repairs I did was from bolts and spokes never being torqued correctly from day one or checked over time so the person got accustomed to rattles and squeaks as being normal and then when something failed they were surprised. “it’s never done that before!” and I’m thinking “it’s been doing it all along and you ignored it until it broke”.
Anyway your front rack is wonderfully heavy and appropriate for heavy loads at 3 lbs. If you aren’t regularly loading up the front with big loads you coukd experiment with other combos. I’m envious.
Old 08-01-23, 05:15 PM
fishboat

If I know I'm going to be on a lot of roads for a trip, I can change tires, right?
The Schwalbe tires you just bought are fine road tires and will also work just as well on rail trails or forest roads.
Old 08-01-23, 05:49 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by djb
and of course there are all kinds of great tires suited for touring in much narrower widths, lighter etc that will make the bike faster and feel more nimble.
Completely true.

There's a lot of good tires out there. The problem that presents itself to those that haven't researched tires extensively (or spent hundreds of dollars trying different tires, or toured for decades which offers time to try different tires or learned which tires to purchase directly from other touring people)...is there are A LOT of tires available. Which ones to choose from a sea of potential tires? Add in the additional variables within a tire model of extra flat resistance(the "plus" versions adding tons of weight and significantly degrading performance) or widths and a person could easily buy the wrong tire.

Reminds me of the adage, "Many people know what needs to be done, significantly fewer know what needs to be done....next."

I know you're well versed on good tires to use in various applications. I'm guessing the OP is not so well versed. Few people are interested in spending hundreds of dollars on multiple sets of tires to find out what will work well in their use. Surprisingly few cyclists I run into realize the difference tires make(hard-core roadies aside). So people replying "..there's lots of good tires out there.." is useful, but offers no help in "..what to do next". Knowing there's good tires to be had can't get you to buying one set of the right tires the first time and moving on to other things.

It would be helpful if folks suggested a specific tire(make, model and size/width) and why they think the tires would be good in the application. That's something a person can consider and act on.