Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What’s your "can’t live without" gear?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What’s your "can’t live without" gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 04:06 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hope you get one and get well soon.
Yeah, I am sure you lost yours a long time ago.
Old 10-14-23, 04:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Yeah, I am sure you lost yours a long time ago.
I was 13 when I lost “mine.”
Old 10-14-23, 08:51 AM
Anicius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
If you have a Kindle, or really any e-reader, but especially if you have a Kindle, you need a software package called Calibre. Not only does it "jailbreak" your Kindle, allowing you to load e-books into it other than by buying them from Amazon, but it allows you to convert e-books into and out of Amazon's AZW3 format, which nothing else uses, and which your Kindle uses exclusively. You can also get your books off of your Kindle, which Amazon won't let you do. Basically, it turns your Kindle and your library into things that you actually own.

--Shannon
I haven't found Calibre able to unlock those Amazon purchases that are copy-protected, but I think you may be able "own" Amazon books that are in the public domain. For those, a better, free source is Gutenberg.org. Calibre also allows conversion of e-books from one format to another and does a pretty good job of converting PDF docs into Kindle formats. If you want to read while touring, Kindle is a good idea, although on the one I have the graphics are generally poor. Still, you can load it with anything you want and the weight doesn't change, and you can backlight it for night reading. Although, I'm usually too tired or too hungry to want to read.
Old 10-15-23, 09:55 AM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
NIDO is full fat powdered milk. I've used powdered milk as a protein and fat source. It works well in coffee. I usually drink espresso but will use instant coffee sometimes
I haven't been able to find Nido whole milk powder formula anywhere . My local supermarket does carry Nido products but only the nonfat stuff.

Looking around, I did find formula containing whole milk in both Target and Whole Food Markets. I've yet to try either so I can't vouch for the quality but here you go:

https://www.target.com/p/kendamil-or...z/-/A-86918586

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pro...ula-b099b2m7rp
Old 10-15-23, 11:15 AM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
I haven't been able to find Nido whole milk powder formula anywhere .
Here is an extremely obscure and little known source that has it in stock: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nido+whole+milk+powder

I actually prefer the Hoosier Hill and/or Red Cow powdered whole milk, which both also come up on this search page.
Old 10-15-23, 12:13 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Must have:
. spare tube.
.. tire levers.
... air pump.

Good to have:
.... multitool.
..... adjustable wrench.
...... front light.
....... rear light.
........ patch kit.
......... spare chain
Old 10-15-23, 01:16 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
Must have:
. spare tube.
.. tire levers.
... air pump.

Good to have:
.... multitool.
..... adjustable wrench.
...... front light.
....... rear light.
........ patch kit.
......... spare chain
I put a patch kit higher on this list and a spare chain lower...

Not often but I've had days with more than one flat. My maximum was six on the San Diego Christmas ride and three in self-supported touring. So a single tube gets me perhaps into a mode of looking for a replacement right away.

When a tour is long enough I've stretched/replaced a chain or two. However enough warning and something I can do pre-emptively.
Old 10-15-23, 02:29 PM
estasnyc

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ignant666
Here is an extremely obscure and little known source that has it in stock: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nido+whole+milkchainrings+powder

I actually prefer the Hoosier Hill and/or Red Cow powdered whole milk, which both also come up on this search page.
Oooohhhh..., you gave the proper incantation. I think I searched Amazon using only "Nido" or maybe "Nido toddler formula"

Choice #2 actually helps to argue my case. Somewhat slightly anyway. Nestle Nido Kinder 1+, which is what I found in my local supermarket, has nonfat milk.

The results I got from my Amazon search was polluted with so many garbage results.

I guess i should consider myself lucky. Had I completely bollixed up my incantation I might have unleashed the evil dead.

On a more serious note, I'll have to check out the Hoosier Hill or the Red Cow.

What is the shelf life of these powder formulas after you break the seal and open the container?

Last edited by estasnyc; 10-15-23 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-15-23, 03:08 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I put a patch kit higher on this list and a spare chain lower...

Not often but I've had days with more than one flat. My maximum was six on the San Diego Christmas ride and three in self-supported touring. So a single tube gets me perhaps into a mode of looking for a replacement right away.

When a tour is long enough I've stretched/replaced a chain or two. However enough warning and something I can do pre-emptively.
Spare tubes, then. If I were you who goes on long rides, I'd carry as many tubes as the expected number of flats during the ride/day, before getting home at dark.

In my early days of bike-riding, I did patch on the side of the road, maybe, a couple of times. I do not patch tubes on the side of the road any more, but only patch them after I get home. If I have a flat, I quickly remove the wheel, replace the flattened tube with a good tube, and am quickly back on the road.
Old 10-15-23, 03:28 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
In my early days of bike-riding, I did patch on the side of the road, maybe, a couple of times. I do not patch tubes on the side of the road any more, but only patch them after I get home. If I have a flat, I quickly remove the wheel, replace the flattened tube with a good tube, and am quickly back on the road.
It is important for me to figure out what caused the flat, e.g. if there is a little wire in the tube I want to find it rather than put in a new tube and have it find the wire again. If there is a goat head thorn, I want to know that too. I don't find 100% of the causes but I can get pretty close. I learned this in my early haste to be quickly back on the road only to learn that I hadn't really gotten the root cause of the flat.

Once I've done that, it is little additional work to put a patch on the tube as well. Sometimes I'll put the patched tube back in, sometimes I swap in a new tube. However unless something damaged the tube itself (e.g. sidewall rip in the tire, valve stem breaks on tube), I've got the tube ready to go even if it isn't in the tire. There isn't as much of a notion of "after I get home" since I can be on the road for weeks and sometimes months.
Likes For mev:
Old 10-15-23, 05:00 PM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
What is the shelf life of these powder formulas after you break the seal and open the container?
I don't know. Or to put it another way, the shelf life is longer than it takes me to use them up.

My recommendation is: buy the Red Cow first for the cool-looking metal can, and then re-fill the can with the (somewhat cheaper) Hoosier Hill. I have not noticed any very great difference among them.

Glad to help with the necessary incantations.
Old 11-13-23, 04:35 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
I've found that I'm very unsuccessful at touring without music or other audio pretty much through the entire day - just curious if other people have that experience as well. Without constant audio I'll ride for 30-40 minutes before deciding to break, eat, mill around or whatever and pretty much fail to make any progress towards getting anywhere.
I would not suggest ear buds. Rather bone conduction as they allow hearing your environment and for safety reasons.
Then again, you might like to listen to nature...
Old 11-13-23, 06:43 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sbrudno
I would not suggest ear buds. Rather bone conduction as they allow hearing your environment and for safety reasons.
Then again, you might like to listen to nature...
Great idea. I will check this out ASAP and let you know how it goes for me.
Old 11-14-23, 11:08 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mev
It is important for me to figure out what caused the flat, e.g. if there is a little wire in the tube I want to find it rather than put in a new tube and have it find the wire again. If there is a goat head thorn, I want to know that too. I don't find 100% of the causes but I can get pretty close. I learned this in my early haste to be quickly back on the road only to learn that I hadn't really gotten the root cause of the flat.
+1. I woke up to a flat rear tire after the first day of my 2014 cross-PA tour. Spent a good amount of time trying to find the cause. Couldn’t find anything in the tire. Nor could I find the hole in the tube. Finally pumped the tube with a lot of air and ran it through a puddle left over from the heavy rain the day before.

Found the tiniest of holes. It was so small, an air bubble would only appear every two seconds or so. Locating the hole helped me finally locate the tiny piece of wire in the tire. I had probably picked it up on a busy, wet road after grocery shopping just before camp. Had I simply put in a fresh tube without doing an extensive search for the cause of the flat, I almost certainly would have flatted again once I got back on the road, this time with the bike fully loaded.
Old 11-14-23, 12:08 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. I woke up to a flat rear tire after the first day of my 2014 cross-PA tour. Spent a good amount of time trying to find the cause. Couldn’t find anything in the tire. Nor could I find the hole in the tube. Finally pumped the tube with a lot of air and ran it through a puddle left over from the heavy rain the day before.

Found the tiniest of holes. It was so small, an air bubble would only appear every two seconds or so. Locating the hole helped me finally locate the tiny piece of wire in the tire. I had probably picked it up on a busy, wet road after grocery shopping just before camp. Had I simply put in a fresh tube without doing an extensive search for the cause of the flat, I almost certainly would have flatted again once I got back on the road, this time with the bike fully loaded.
Since we are discussing stuff to bring along on a tour, what would you use to mark the hole in the tube while getting the repair kit open and ready to do the deed? Marking pen? Ballpoint? Most holes are visible with the naked eye but these small holes not so much.
Old 11-14-23, 12:10 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Great idea. I will check this out ASAP and let you know how it goes for me.
While I wouldn't put it in "can't live without" category, I tried a bicycle speaker this year. There are places it made sense for me and places it didn't:
- Made sense on quiet country roads without much traffic and where I had good sight lines in my mirror
- Didn't make sense in heavier traffic, riding with others or in urban areas with cross streets.

I wasn't listening to music but instead would load a set of podcasts on my phone in the morning. I would then play them from a podcast app via bluetooth to a speaker on my handle bars. I didn't use it every day but I had enough quiet days e.g. on the great plains, where it was useful.

Old 11-14-23, 12:33 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
While I wouldn't put it in "can't live without" category, I tried a bicycle speaker this year.
This is terrific. So many great ideas that had never occurred to me before and I didn't even have to ask for any of this advice. It just came to me without any effort on my part.

Some people say that forums like this aren't really that useful and that people just like to hear themselves talk out loud on the internet. But those people are so wrong.
Old 11-14-23, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by sbrudno
Since we are discussing stuff to bring along on a tour, what would you use to mark the hole in the tube while getting the repair kit open and ready to do the deed? Marking pen? Ballpoint? Most holes are visible with the naked eye but these small holes not so much.
I didn't patch the tube. Put in a new one and kept the old one. I don't recall marking it. Maybe I put it in the tub when I got home and patched the hole then.

In any event...I don't tour with GPS or the like, so I write down my mileage at the end of each day. I also do crossword puzzles if I can find the NYT. As such, I always have a pen with me.

I also rarely flat on tour. I can only think of maybe 5 flats I have gotten since 2008. When I rode from Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME to Philadelphia to Ocean City, NJ in the summer of '99 I got a grand total of 3 flats. One was caused by a large screw I ran over in MN. One flat in 7 weeks of touring Spain and no flats during 7 weeks from Seattle to Cortez, CO. (Both in 2000.)
Old 11-14-23, 02:14 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Top of my list is safety glasses that block the air and dust and insects from coming up from below or from the sides. When something gets into one of my eyes I find it difficult to keep the other eye open. I was glad when these first became available as regular sunglasses were nearly worthless at providing protection for my eyes when riding.
Old 11-17-23, 06:50 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Definitely my Infinity seat. What a game changer. No need to wear padded shorts, actually not recommended with this seat. I did a 10,520 mile perimeter tour of the US last year and this made it so easy. If you have ever had to deal with saddle sores and just being in pain, you owe yourself to look into this seat. pricey but I would never ride without now. Just throw on a pair of shorts and go.
www.infinitybikeseat.com
Old 11-17-23, 09:33 AM
sbrudno

I would have a hard time spending $327+ for a saddle but I see your point...