Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Higher-end tactical flashlights as headlights (yes, another light thread)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 02:58 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I couldn't find an acceptable thread to resurrect...so here goes:

I've been getting away with a TerraLUX LightStar 220 for about a year now. Of course, it was a serious upgrade from the wimpy 1-watt PB light I was using before that. But now the TerraLUX doesn't seem adequate, especially since it's as dark as dark gets for my AM commute. Don't get me wrong. It'll work, but my comfort level seems to have diminished with this light. I want more.

So, does anyone ride with a more expensive tactical light? Here's an example of one I may consider: https://www.amazon.com/EagleTac-T20C2.../dp/B004NEKA8Q

But this also begs another question: Would adding another TerraLUX 220 help at all? Considering I'm still only halfway to the price of the EagleTac and still only half the lumens, it's an option I would consider if someone else has had good results with a similar set-up. I could easily mount them side-by-side.
Old 10-04-11, 04:17 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Quite a few people use higher power flashlights- most of them post about them in the Electronics forum. Fenix lights were the rave, only to replaced by the P7, then XP-G, and now the XM-L.

I take it that your Terralux 220 is rated at 220 lumens? Adding another would double that to 400+, which would put in the ball park of a bunch of the lights that claim up to 900 lumens but I gather deliver closer to 400-500 in reality.

There is a new light (or I just heard of it last week, anyway) from Philips that is a dedicated bike light. Not as powerful as a Magic Shine, but focuses the light way better for road riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lej8pbR5RDQ
Old 10-04-11, 05:44 PM
rex_kramer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Quite a few people use higher power flashlights- most of them post about them in the Electronics forum. Fenix lights were the rave, only to replaced by the P7, then XP-G, and now the XM-L.

I take it that your Terralux 220 is rated at 220 lumens? Adding another would double that to 400+, which would put in the ball park of a bunch of the lights that claim up to 900 lumens but I gather deliver closer to 400-500 in reality.

There is a new light (or I just heard of it last week, anyway) from Philips that is a dedicated bike light. Not as powerful as a Magic Shine, but focuses the light way better for road riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lej8pbR5RDQ
I had no idea an electronics forum even existed here. Thanks for that tip, lol.
Old 10-04-11, 06:51 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rex_kramer
I had no idea an electronics forum even existed here. Thanks for that tip, lol.
You have no idea what you have been missing out

Honestly I avoided the higher end tactical flashlight for this several reason. Mainly because by the time I get a flahslight that I like, there is another development with the LED technology that make my so call "new" flashlight old. I just don't like the feeling of spending $100 for a tactical flashlight when a few month later I can get a brighter udated flashlight for $30. The drawback is the quality of the better flashlight cannot be beat, but all of my old flashlight end up being around the house and at work such that quality doesn't matter much to me.

I don't suggest another Terralux because you will be only doubling your lumen but probably not much improvement in beam pattern. If you don't find lower quality product, then this is my Suggestion. Get the Yezl Z1 from SBflshlight for $33 and then get a KD C8 from Kaidomain for $26. The Yezl from SBflashlights takes less than 5 days shipped to CA, while the Kaidomain takes 10-15 days.

I own 3 of the Yezl Z1 and one C8, both are great XML flashlight. The Yezl Z1 is very bright and very compact and light (great for the helmet) while the C8 will get you some impressive throw for a single cell 18650 because it has a larger diameter reflector. Both flashlight have a very white tint and non of that green tint stuff. Both lights also will run for over an hour on a single 18650 cell on high. The combo of the two will give a nice overall and very bright beam.

The Yezl Z1 is listed at 450 OTF and that seem to be a very accurate rating. The C8 is probably right around the same 450 OTF. To give an sample of thee light intensity of these two flashlight, I will compare these with a Magicshine 808. I use a light meter and did a 10 feet ceiling bounce test and the MS900 resulted with 36 lux, while the Yezl Z1 yeilded 55 lux and the C8 resulted 52 lux. Both flashlight was brighter than a MS900. The combo lux with both C8 and Yezl Z1 yeilded 98 lux.

BTW, you can get a 3 mode C8 without all that strobe stuff, however I never tried one of those and cannot comment on how well it perform. Link for 3 mode:
https://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails....roductId=11284
Old 10-04-11, 11:15 PM
rex_kramer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the links, Colleen. I'm checking out the Yezl right now for use as a helmet light.

You can never haz too much waterproofness!
Old 10-05-11, 05:30 AM
yep202

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel under powered while reading this thread. I use a 44 lum bar mounted front light. Also a tactical flashlight with 98 lum on the helmet. Today I rode passed a huge truck with it I don't think enjoyed that very much but he was on the bike lane so I don't know what he/she expects. Anyways in the rear I've converted a front 50 lum light to a helmet mounted rear blinking light. That's it I've long thought about the vis 360 as a very best to future upgrade not because I feel un safe with those lights.
Old 10-05-11, 12:11 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Terralux 220 as well. I like the light but like you I somwtimes wish I had a little more light. I've added a B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso Plus dynamo powered headlight, a taillight, and components for me to build a new front wheel with a dynonub to my Amazon wishlist. Terraluxes are cheaper, but I love the idea of dynamo lights. According to online reviews the dynamo powered light I have in mind is as bright as a Magic Shine and requires no batteries which will be a huge plus. Now if only Santa is REALLY generous... (it's not a cheap proposition plus I already have studded tires and clipless pedals and shoes on the list as well...)

In the meantime for me, a second Terralux might be a good idea. If you try it, keep me posted on how effective a solution it is. Good luck!
Old 10-05-11, 12:49 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Everything known to man about flashlights.Candlepower Forums.com
Old 10-05-11, 01:18 PM
Blind
Holy crip he's a crapple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with one of these -
https://tacticalhid.info/e03

same XM-L T6 driver as that $95 light you linked, but it can run off either a single AA (1.2v) or a 14500 lithium (~3.7v).

it's bright enough for me with a normal AA on high. But it's bright as hell with a 14500

hope that helps, it was about $30, or you could run 3 of them for the same price as that other light, that is the same power.
Old 10-05-11, 11:28 PM
rex_kramer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
In the meantime for me, a second Terralux might be a good idea. If you try it, keep me posted on how effective a solution it is. Good luck!
I'll find out sometime Thursday, lol. Before I got to Colleen and Blind's posts, I pulled the trigger. But looking at the beamshots of the E03, I'm betting a single E03 is much brighter than two TerraLUX lights. Bah. If this set-up sucks, I'll just retire the two lights to my cars' gloveboxes and start looking at these lights running on the XM-L T6's. I really, really like the broad and bright floodiness of that E03.
Old 10-06-11, 10:16 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For road use I did not want an overly bright headlight pissing off and blinding oncoming drivers on my rural commute.
Got one of these and it is just right. Bright enough but not too bright.

https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ocStoreNum=914

Have a well equipped shop and am handy at plastic forming so I made a clip on swivel mount out of sched. 80 ABS that allows me ot swivel the light up/down, back forth with one hand. This has come in handy to "wake up" inattentive drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7029.jpg (100.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-06-11, 11:01 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
Everything known to man about flashlights.Candlepower Forums.com
I think budgetlightforum.com is a better source these days for good honest info.... I have my reasons which I won't go into here.
Old 10-06-11, 06:32 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by rex_kramer
I'll find out sometime Thursday, lol. Before I got to Colleen and Blind's posts, I pulled the trigger. But looking at the beamshots of the E03, I'm betting a single E03 is much brighter than two TerraLUX lights. Bah. If this set-up sucks, I'll just retire the two lights to my cars' gloveboxes and start looking at these lights running on the XM-L T6's. I really, really like the broad and bright floodiness of that E03.
Nah, you just move the old light up to your helmet and use the new light on the handlebars. Then pick which car gets the old light. First time you use a helmet light you'll be amazed at the difference.
Old 10-06-11, 06:57 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a P7. I got it when they were 'the big thing' in the electronics sub-forum. There is no doubt something better now, but the P7 still meets my needs just fine.