Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rain Friday, Gravel event Saturday

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 07:15 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 55 mile gravel ride planned for Saturday, and Friday there is the expectation of off and on rain all day. I'm planning to ride my Disc Trucker for this one, with 26x2.0 knobbie tires. Up to here I'm good to go. My question is related to fenders. The Disc trucker is my daily ride to work so it has fenders on it. Do I need to remove them for the event due to the risk of mud, or should I just go with it? I like that fenders help keep me clean, and I ride for fun and fitness since I'm WAY too slow to compete. I have done several rides before, but never one where the ground at least starts off wet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-15, 07:31 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
If its actual gravel roads rather than unmaintained sticky dirt double track, Id keep fenders. I hate all the grit that kicks up from wet gravel road.
Old 10-21-15, 10:41 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on the type of mud your area gets. Some mud turns into this sticky peanut butter like substance that can pack up so bad it locks the wheel in place. If that is what you have I would take the fenders off. If mud in your area is more just like muddy water I would keep the fenders on to make staying comfortable easier.
Old 10-21-15, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
All depends on how much clearance there is between the tire and the Mudguards .

My Winter bike has a pre/non suspension fork, so for more clearance.. Its Cut and bolted on both sides of the fork crown .

26 x 1.9 tires..
Old 10-25-15, 03:35 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I Left them on. There was a little mud, but nothing I sunk into. Thanks all for the input. Here I am taking a quick break.
Old 10-26-15, 10:38 AM
IcySmooth52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
It depends on the type of mud your area gets. Some mud turns into this sticky peanut butter like substance that can pack up so bad it locks the wheel in place. If that is what you have I would take the fenders off. If mud in your area is more just like muddy water I would keep the fenders on to make staying comfortable easier.
I've had that mud lockup before! Good memory actually. But I'd recommend buying a clamp-on rear fender as an option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beseen-6.jpg (70.9 KB, 35 views)