Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wind speed - how high is safe?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 05:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

In my locale, the prediction for tomorrow is winds of around 22 mph, in a direction that will be a headwind when I go home. My question is: What wind speed to people consider to be an upper limit for safe commuting? My bike is not particularly aero, and my normal cruising speed is around 14 mph.

I don't know what wind speeds I've dealt with in the past because I've never looked up the actual numbers.
Old 11-11-15, 05:47 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
A sustained 22 mph wind is tough in any direction other than your back, but manageable. You're going to be slow, so accept that it's going to be a miserable ride home. I've done a few rides like that. Sustained 22 mph also means that you might experience gusts that are much higher, perhaps over 30 mph, and IMO, that's hitting the upper limit, especially if it's a side wind. You become very unstable.
Old 11-11-15, 05:49 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the wind speed but the possible dangers along your route. There was supposedly up to 50mph wind gust here today. I made sure to take a safer route. One bridge crossing the wind seems to be 10x worse than the other. Any mines or dirt lots can blind you also. In a year of commuting I've got to know where the wind wraps around buildings also. Just keep in mind your commute is going to take longer if you're against the wind!
Old 11-11-15, 05:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've been out riding my bike with wind gusts of 43 mph ( 70km/h) ...It happens few times per year, it sucks big time especially if it's in front of me. I am riding a singlespeed.
Old 11-11-15, 06:07 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
To be more specific, a strong side gust can blow you off the road or even into traffic...
Old 11-11-15, 06:14 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Gusts from the side are bad. Once you get used to it, it's not bad. The typical reaction for those without experience is grab the bars tightly and stiffen up. That makes you susceptible to falling.

The key is stay relaxed, realize it's just air moving, and let your body and bike compensate.
Old 11-11-15, 06:17 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sustained wind, even a headwind, of 22 mph is do-able, but it sucks (or blows, whichever). But like other have said, it's the side gusts that are dangerous.
Old 11-11-15, 06:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
To be more specific, a strong side gust can blow you off the road or even into traffic...
This has happened to me, fortunately in the off the road sense. I was blown onto the soft shoulder; there was a 2" ledge between the shoulder and the road and the bike automatically wanted to go back onto the road to keep the wheels under the centre of gravity. The ledge prevented the front wheel from doing this, so I spilled onto my left side. No injury to my person, but the handlebar tapewas pretty torn up on that side.

On another day in Northern Colorado, a winter storm brewed up suddenly, and I found myself facing a headwind so strong that I could not make reasonable headway (i.e. sub 5mph; I normally cruise at ~20mph), considering the 12 mile remaining distance to my destination (on my way home from work). Fortunately I was able to get a buddy to come rescue me with his car. Within 25 minutes, the roads were covered in 2" of slushy snow, so the rescue request was a good call.

Back on topic, bridges and open spaces can be treacherous for crosswinds. When I find myself in a gusty crosswind situation while riding in traffic, I swerve side to side deliberately every few seconds, so that the attentive following drivers will appreciate that my space claim is a little wider than just me and my bike. Naturally, I refrain from deliberate swerves when a motorist is alongside.
Old 11-11-15, 07:15 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
As long as you don't get blown into the path of a truck, etc., riding in moderately strong winds is good training. Best done away from traffic.
Old 11-11-15, 07:24 PM
Gresp15C

Thanks for all the advice so far. Fortunately, my route is on MUP and neighborhood streets with barely any traffic, but I'll definitely take it carefully. "Miserable" and "slow" are OK. Getting hurt isn't.
Old 11-11-15, 07:35 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
probably not safe...

https://youtu.be/H8qgjyqibwY?t=42
Old 11-11-15, 08:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Another reason to wear a rearview mirror, to anticipate that problem.
Old 11-11-15, 10:16 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Another reason to wear a rearview mirror, to anticipate that problem.
+1
Old 11-12-15, 04:46 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Watch out for flying debris. The only time my head came close to being damaged on a bike was when I was riding in a thunderstorm, and the wind broke a branch out of a tree which fell on my noggin.
Old 11-12-15, 06:45 AM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
High winds are very common in The Netherlands. You get used to it and learn to deal with it. I've never thought of them as miserable, only one more thing to deal with. Just relax, take your time, enjoy the ride, and as others have pointed out watch for debris and be prepared for side gusts. BTW, strong headwinds are called horizontal hills for good reason.
Old 11-12-15, 07:59 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday (although not a commute) I rode 20 miles in 28mph winds with gusts of 50mph. I was a little nervous about it and planned to take it slow and ride a shorter distance. Once I got going I focused on the wind on my face and let muscle memory work on my legs. This helped me relax and simply ride. I will note that this was through neighborhoods and on a bike trail rather than city streets.

In these kind of winds I do recommend caution regardless. Only you really know what you are comfortable with in regards to weather conditions.
Old 11-12-15, 08:23 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't say there is any inherent danger until you hit maybe tropical storm force winds. You can adapt pretty quickly to a head or side wind, just expect your pace to be a bit slower.
Old 11-12-15, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode against 50mph gusts yesterday, in traffic, and was safe. Some cross winds, some headwinds, a little tailwind. Lean into the strong cross winds, gear down and tuck in for the head winds.

Rain pelted me so hard it stung, and the huge winds dried me off before I got home. This am saw a few 3 and 4 ft diameter trees blown over, one broken at the trunk. Gusts weren't too bad though.
Old 11-12-15, 01:20 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Good idea to check your bike out after riding in strong winds with rain.

It's amazing how water can get forced into unusual areas, including "sealed" bearings...
Old 11-12-15, 01:21 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Wind is a constant out here on the great plains. 15-20 mph is what's considered a typical day.

Not sure what the exact number of the highest wind speed I've ever ridden in but I know there have been a few times of 40 mph sustained wind with gusts of 60+. Not much fun, especially when you discover that the hill you often coast down at 25+ mph now has you gearing down and pedaling just to sustain 6 mph.

As others have mentioned, riding cross-wind is easier pedaling but harder steering. Riding straight into it just stinks. Having it at your back is awesome, but due to Murphy's Law rarely ever happens.
Old 11-12-15, 04:12 PM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Having it at your back is awesome, but due to Murphy's Law rarely ever happens.
For years I've been trying to figure out why we seem to so often have a headwind in both directions and never a tailwind in both.
Old 11-12-15, 04:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When it blows limbs off trees and knocks them Down, It is 'safe to say' its not safe .

force 9 gale https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale
Old 11-12-15, 04:34 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't sweat 22 mph steady winds. Anyone from Iowa, Kansas or Nebraska would never ride if that was dangerous. When the gusts start hitting 40-50 mph I start thinking twice. I have been blown across a road into oncoming traffic by a big wind gust. Part of this is that I use panniers that give a big cross section target, part was inexperience. Still, now that I've ridden in wind a LOT I don't like to ride on high wind days (defined as gusts of 40-50 mph). Even when relaxing and letting the bike turn me back into the straight line, I have trouble maintaining a line that I'm comfortable with on the road.

Given your description of your route being an MUP with trees I'd ride without question if winds are only in the 22 mph range.
Old 11-12-15, 05:42 PM
Gresp15C

It turned out to be OK. I don't think the wind speeds were as high as predicted, and they were mostly cross winds. I've ridden in much worse winds.
Old 11-12-15, 05:57 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my locale, the prediction for tomorrow is winds of around 22 mph, in a direction that will be a headwind when I go home. My question is: What wind speed to people consider to be an upper limit for safe commuting? My bike is not particularly aero, and my normal cruising speed is around 14 mph.

I don't know what wind speeds I've dealt with in the past because I've never looked up the actual numbers.
I was on a gravel grinder with winds measured at 40 mph with gusts over 55 mph. Not fun, but 'ridable'. When it was a crosswind, the riders ahead of me looked like they were leaning into a fast turn, but we were on a straight away.

The true answer to you question is: it depends on the road conditions. On a path or trail, I've never had the wind stop me. On busy roads with poor shoulders, I've bailed on rides with wind around 20 mph.

This spring I was riding a route around a lake and s 20 mph crosswind coming off the lake pushing me right into traffic, I found the quickest escape to a sheltered route with light traffic.

Today the winds are 25 mph to 35 mph and I made a point of going out for a ride to enjoy the tailwind (followed by grunting my way into the headwind).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.