Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike Suggestions for My Husband

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Bike Suggestions for My Husband

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 01:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Bargains never are. Sorry.
$500 buys a piece of trash.
Well thats just hilariously wrong. And exclusive.
I have multiple bikes that cost $500 or less and I think they are fantastic. I have taken most on family camping trips and short in-state tours without issue. They are all quite capable for what i want to use at the time.
...I built them up and/or purchased them used and changed what I wanted to comply to my needs.
Old 12-07-15, 02:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by mel2012
Despite our fleet of 8 adult bikes, my husband is in the market for a new bike, primarily for family bike rides (pretty much every weekend, 5-10 miles) and bike camping trips where he needs to hook up our "Follow Me" attachment for our son and carry panniers, but could also be used for errands.
He doesn't want drop bars for the new bike, which rules out most touring bikes that would otherwise be a good fit. I've been looking at flat bar road bikes, but wondering if those are going to have sufficient heel clearance for panniers. Thoughts, ideas, etc.?

- Get a used steel hybrid. Schwinn CrissCross. Schwinn CrossCut. Miyata TripleCross. Univega Via ____(lots of models), Trek multitrack(750 or other models). This should cost $150 or less. A total overhaul will be $200 or less(plus parts, if needed) and would include repacking all bearing points, wheel true, new cables, and a total cleaning of the bike and drivetrain. These bikes from 20-25 years ago, if in good mechanical condition, are just as good and often times better than new hybrids for $500 or less. You simply cant buy something new today for under $500 which has a double butted cromo frame. Often times the components are of a higher quality, and they perform just as well now as anything cheaper. Deore, LX, and Exage from then are still very much serviceable and useful now. Technology in the $500 and under category of bike these days really isnt better than what was offered 25 years ago.
These bikes will have 700c wheels, a comfortable geometry, mounting points for fenders and/or a rack, and will have triple cranks to help with towing the trail behind.

- use a butterfly/trekking bar. You can switch basically any components on a flat bar bike to butterfly bars. These allow for more hand positions to reduce fatigue and improve comfort with both the hands/wrists and with your back since you can stretch out when needed.

As for heel strike, the Axiom Journey rack is $25 and allows panniers to be mounted further back to help avoid heelstrike. I have size 14 shoes and can say that this for sure helps. https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey-.../dp/B003UWEUK6

My family bike camped a handful of times this past spring and summer and managed this way
- i hauled 2 panniers and towed the weehoo carrying our 4yo. the weehoo bags were filled too.
- my wife pulled an old burley single trailer that i had converted into a cargo trailer with a solid floor.
- our 8yo daughter had a few sleep pads and/or sleeping bags strapped to a rack on her bike.

I have had a 90s hybrid as one of my bikes for a long time now. I love them. Just recently sold a Schwinn Crisscross that came with butterfly bars. It was an excellent family bike/around town hauler- comfortable workhorse.

The Trek FX series is incredibly popular if you want to buy new. I would figure maybe buying used is better even for them since itll save $ and its not like there has suddenly been some major advancement in hybrid bikes in the last year. The components are, in my opinion, not impressive, but they will be new which is often times worth peace of mind and whatnot.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 12-07-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 02:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
First off, it sounds like your husband is pretty picky about bikes, and not likely to react like you want to a surprise.

Second, how did you get a biruni that was not electrified? I looked up on the website, and I see only one model (already electrified) for MSRP $3K. If that bike is not meeting your needs, by all means sell it!

Also the partly-parted out Giant, sell it -- although if it's missing parts, good luck getting any more than $50 for it!

Old Cannondale mtb? Sell it! (although again, don't expect much from craigslist)

Or, would it be possible to make a suitable frankenbike out of the two MTB? I.e. the rackable, fitting frame of one with the full component set of the other?
Old 12-07-15, 03:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my 2 cents, let him pick it out
Old 12-10-15, 10:47 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Most practical conversion with a modern touring bike is to install a stem riser and moustache bars. A Kalloy 26.0 adjustable stem should move the bars into an upright riding position.

So don't rule out a touring bike.
This. Get a frame you like, then figure out what kind of bars you like best. Moustache, butterfly, albatross, North Road, porteur...there're lots of choices.
Old 12-10-15, 12:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
A Biruni Scarlett cargo bike. While it can carry lots of stuff and haul our son with the FollowMe, it's very much a "cruiser" type bike and the gearing was designed for the bike to be electrified (so the "low" gear is really high).
An interesting looking bike. Probably pretty heavy. But, if he likes riding it, then one option would be just to reconfigure it with the gearing he wants. You could probably replace cassettes, freewheels, chainrings, etc for well under your budget.
A partially parted-out 1990s Giant rigid MTB that he got as a teenager and rode until fall for everything other than commuting, when his shifter broke and his dad gave him the Cannondale mountain bike. He had wicked heel strike issues when trying to use this with panniers, and it was pretty heavy, so it was never ideal either.
Be careful about pannier placement. I always choose panniers that are V-shaped at the bottom, and then mount them as far back as they will go. I added some funky pegs to my bike rack for the panniers, but there are racks with a better design to give rear support to the panniers.

Anyway, an option would be to work on getting the proper rack/pannier setup for this bike.
Old 12-10-15, 12:31 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe a 22" BMX with chopper handle bars and a long seat post.
Eg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_00003069.jpg (100.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-10-15, 12:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
Originally Posted by elmore leonard
Maybe a 22" BMX with chopper handle bars and a long seat post.
Eg.
I read about a bike like that recently, maybe JohnnyMullet would be willing to part with it?
Old 12-10-15, 01:13 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have no real advice beyond that given. I mostly wanted to say that I had to read the thread title 3 times because I thought you were asking for advice on a new husband suggestions for your bike.
Old 12-10-15, 01:15 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
What about getting a frame and using mostly parts from other unused or under-used bikes? That could go a long way to keeping you within your budget. My utility bike I just built up using mostly parts I already had, cost me about $200-$250, and it's equipped similarly to $700-$800 bikes.