Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winterizing my bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winterizing my bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 08:12 PM
Lieren

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winterizing my bike

I need a little help thinking through what I need to do to my bike to continue to commute during Philadelphia's short but messy winter. Typically, we don't get snow and ice on the ground until January/February, but every year it seems to surprise me and I'd like to get a jump start on planning. Here's the situation: neighborhoods are rarely plowed or salted and in the downtown, snow is plowed into the bike lane. I need to be able to ride about 1.5 miles on packed snow with patchy ice (the unplowed neighborhood) and then about 3 miles on possibly plowed but also possibly icy streets/bike lanes with lumpy packed snow and patchy ice. I commute on a Jamis Coda Elite (steel, disc brakes) but also have an old Raleigh mountain bike (aluminum, cantilever brakes) I could use.

Should I just stick studded tires on the Raleigh and reserve it for the icy days? (I did read the excellent thread on winter tires.) I love my disc brakes for quickly stopping for jerk driver maneuvers, though--should I invest in a second set of wheels for the Jamis and put the winter tires on them? What else should I be thinking about?
Old 10-13-15, 10:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I went the route of turning an old mountain bike into my dedicated winter bike. It was an easier choice for me, as my other bikes have 27" wheels, so they won't accommodate studded tires anyway.

If you ride both bikes during the winter, then you have to winterize both of them, because the salt will always be on the streets. I decided to just ride the winter bike throughout the season, to keep the salt and muck off the other bikes. The studs slowed me down, but not as much as I imagined they would.

If you don't already have fenders, they are particularly beneficial during the winter.

People have various rituals for prepping and cleaning winter bikes. I coated all of the exposed steel parts of my bike with chainsaw bar oil, which is particularly sticky, and re-applied it a few times through the season. It was a horrid mess, but the only parts that rusted were the ones that I missed. I didn't hose the bike down until spring.
Old 10-14-15, 09:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
The climate here in NYC is pretty much the same as in Philly. Last winter, of course, was pretty tough, and my route was very icy. I recently bought some studded tires, and I can hardly wait to try them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-14-15, 09:49 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long fenders + mudflaps helps keep the salt/grime off the bike. Once I started riding with the mudflaps, I cut cleaning down to one time per week instead of daily or every other day. Just my $.02.
Old 10-14-15, 11:54 AM
uber_Fred

Bikes: Fuji touring, old Fuji mountain bike, Currie Peak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in the Philly area. I have a Fuji touring that gets ridden until first snow, and then an old hard tail mountain bike with 26" that comes out until Spring. There's enough frost and bizarre frozen patches around that even after the snow is "gone" I like riding on the wider studded tires.
Of course, I pay a speed penalty for it. I go from really slow on the touring bike to really, really slow when I switch to the mountain bike.
This is my first year with the electric pedal assist bike. I'm not sure what I'll do with that during the winter. It has 27.5 wheels, and there aren't a lot of choices in studded tires for that size.
Old 10-14-15, 12:11 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm hearing that the northeastern states may have a milder and drier winter this year due to El Nino.

Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps
Old 10-14-15, 03:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I'm hearing that the northeastern states may have a milder and drier winter this year due to El Nino.

I'm mostly happy about this, if it becomes true. On the other hand, I have my brand new studded tires and will be disappointed if I don't need them.

@DogBoy, where are you? Please put your location in your profile. Thanks for the reminder about mudflaps. I might make some out of milk jugs. I already have nice fenders.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-15-15, 08:11 PM
Lieren

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info, all. I have good fenders on the Jamis but not the Raleigh, so that's something to think about if I make the mountain bike my winter bike. Sadly, salt is not a huge issue since Philly doesn't bother to salt or plow enormous chunks of the city, but that does make lumpy ice (or, as uber_Fred put it, bizarre frozen patches) a big problem.

If I slap some fenders and studded tires on the Raleigh and make it my winter bike, I have to admit I am a little worried about the Raleigh's brakes in icy/grimy conditions. Lame as it sounds, I don't have bandwidth to clean my rims every day. Should I be worried about this or just lighten up? (Or focus on winterizing the Jamis with its disc brakes.)
Old 10-15-15, 08:21 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I have a weather app on my phone. I've seen the predictions change several times within the same day.... and still be wrong.