Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Back pain

Old 03-25-20, 01:37 PM
N2motorsports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Back pain

My son and I are just starting out cycling and he's been complaining of soreness in the back after a 20mile ride.
He's a shorter human at 5'3" and we got him a late 80's puch in a 48 to 49cm range. Top bar gives him 1.5in clearance and I've repositioned handlebar height so that he isnt riding too horizontal. The boy is fit and bikes to school daily, so me at 45 y.o and 3 herniated disc felt no pain. What other factors might cause back soreness?
Old 03-25-20, 01:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Back soreness usually signals core strength issues. A lot of people have weak lower backs, I don't think youth is a guarantee that isn't the case. Cycling uses the lower back.

Those bikes were really long IIRC. Shorter stem might be a better fix than raising the handlebars.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-25-20, 02:13 PM
N2motorsports

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Back soreness usually signals core strength issues. A lot of people have weak lower backs, I don't think youth is a guarantee that isn't the case. Cycling uses the lower back.

Those bikes were really long IIRC. Shorter stem might be a better fix than raising the handlebars.
Thanks for the quick response, I'll look into it, now that I think of it, not sure how bent his elbows are. So yes, if his arms have no bend then We'll def need a shorter stem.
Old 03-25-20, 05:06 PM
PureFix
Banned.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
His muscles are adjusting. From the way you're wording it, that's what I'm understanding.

Sit ups and stretching the hamstring will go along way. Break a good sweat before stretching.
I'm not licensed for this.
Old 03-25-20, 06:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Lower back? Or upper back between the shoulders? I'm assuming a Puch road bike, but they made a BMX and other stuff too.

On a road bike, sitting too upright is a mistake in my opinion. That will put more weight on both your shoulders and upper back as well as the saddle. For me, leaning forward lets the power my legs are developing lift some weight off the saddle and the fact my body won't bend much more takes some weight off my wrist and arms.

As for his pain, I don't know. But when doing longer rides than your body is used too, muscles will squawk for awhile till they get used to the new norm.
Old 03-25-20, 07:49 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If I don’t stretch after I ride my back will bother me. Why I don’t stretch after every ride, don’t ask me.
Old 03-25-20, 08:04 PM
PureFix
Banned.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh you have that!

Let's say for arguments sake. Do 40 or 50 jumping jacks. Now you're sweating.
Your muscles are hot. Now you can stretch and don't bounce. After that continue
with your workout.

Disclaimer:

We will not be held responsible in any way for the information that you request or receive through or on our website,
blog, e-mails, programs, services and/or products. In no event will we be liable to any party for any direct, indirect,
special, incidental, equitable or consequential damages for any use of or reliance on this website or blog, e-mails,
programs, services, and/or products, including, without limitation, any lost profits, personal or business interruptions,
personal injuries, accidents, misapplication of information or any other loss, malady, disease or difficulty, or otherwise,
even if we are expressly advised of the possibility of such damages or difficulties. I didn't know. No one told me.
Old 03-31-20, 10:05 AM
BeetleJuice
CyclingBrian

Bikes: Ti bike, Scott. Scott, Fuji, framed and an ebike I never use.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by N2motorsports
My son and I are just starting out cycling and he's been complaining of soreness in the back after a 20mile ride.
He's a shorter human at 5'3" and we got him a late 80's puch in a 48 to 49cm range. Top bar gives him 1.5in clearance and I've repositioned handlebar height so that he isnt riding too horizontal. The boy is fit and bikes to school daily, so me at 45 y.o and 3 herniated disc felt no pain. What other factors might cause back soreness?
Have someone check the fit, just to be sure; however, I've learned all people who fit seem to have different opinions. Perhaps riding more upright using a different stem? As others mentioned, improving the core helps. I have a bad back issue which derailed be from cycling last summer. Since then I've been doing TRX which has helped a lot with core improvements.
Old 03-31-20, 08:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Here's my primer on how to check a fit: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html

Fit doesn't have to be exact, but the above guidelines should prove helpful, just to see if anything is obviously amiss One thing not mentioned there, but useful in this case, is to check that he is not rounding his back. The back should be more-or-less straight from the top of the shorts to the base of the neck.

The real issue, as has been stressed above, is fitness. Many people think the perfect bike fit will eliminate pain. It will not. The only thing that eliminates pain is perfect fitness. And even that doesn't work forever, just take a google and look at the faces of RAAM finishers.

How to get the back fit? The best way is to ride lots. Ride until it hurts, rest it for a day, then do that again. After not all that many repetitions, the pain won't start for many more miles. That can be eventually increased to 100s of kilometers.

Of course off-bike exercises help too, and will shorten the time to fitness, but nothing makes your back as fit as cycling, lots of it.
Old 04-06-20, 09:49 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Doing specif back strengthening exercises can only help. There are many videos showing such exercises.
https://www.google.com/search?client...xytMPhbmFkAs39
I have my own such series I do to begin my day but they do the same function as the model in the video.
Old 04-06-20, 11:56 AM
N2motorsports

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Here's my primer on how to check a fit: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html

How to get the back fit? The best way is to ride lots. Ride until it hurts, rest it for a day, then do that again. After not all that many repetitions, the pain won't start for many more miles. That can be eventually increased to 100s of kilometers.

Of course off-bike exercises help too, and will shorten the time to fitness, but nothing makes your back as fit as cycling, lots of it.
Since my initial post, we've logged almost 200 miles and I'm happy to say he is pain free. ON the other hand, I am now experience back soreness, which I attribute to my hamstring tightening/swelling and pulling on my lower back. A few basic stretches really alleviates it though.

Thanks all
Old 04-06-20, 12:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by N2motorsports
Since my initial post, we've logged almost 200 miles and I'm happy to say he is pain free. ON the other hand, I am now experience back soreness, which I attribute to my hamstring tightening/swelling and pulling on my lower back. A few basic stretches really alleviates it though.

Thanks all
Great! Weird isn't it, how the leg muscles seem to pull on everything below the shoulder blades. It's called the "posterior chain," all connected. My wife and I did 50 miles on our tandem yesterday, with a lot of that being "spirited riding." Cars would pass us, seeing only a bicycle, not having any idea we might be doing 25, and then having issues with the oncoming. I have built-in reflexes to head for the ditch in the event of a head-on happening in front of us.

Back hurt like the devil yesterday, but OK today, glutes still a bit sore today. I think we'll take an hour's walk, today being unusually sunny.
Old 04-08-20, 02:11 PM
KonaDew

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen

That is true
Old 04-08-20, 02:11 PM
KonaDew

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BeetleJuice
Have someone check the fit, just to be sure; however, I've learned all people who fit seem to have different opinions. Perhaps riding more upright using a different stem? As others mentioned, improving the core helps. I have a bad back issue which derailed be from cycling last summer. Since then I've been doing TRX which has helped a lot with core improvements.
Did you cange the setup?
Old 04-08-20, 04:38 PM
BeetleJuice
CyclingBrian

Bikes: Ti bike, Scott. Scott, Fuji, framed and an ebike I never use.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonaDew
Did you cange the setup?
Yes. I went and installed the Genetic 16 Driser road bar Google reviews.
Also, I'm trying out a StopShock seatpost by Redshift
I was concerned I would lose power transfer with the stopshock but haven't. It does make the ride (long rides) somewhat more enjoyable. The roads in my area are not in good shape.
I do think TRX is really helping. I do 10~13 movements (15 reps) in two sets minimum, sometimes more every other day.
-B
Likes For BeetleJuice: