Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Standing while on rollers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 04:15 AM
hazben1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got a set of rollers for Christmas and have used them 3-4 times. I am slowly getting better at it but, realize it is going to be a while before I am comfortable on them. I tried standing up on them a few times and the bike seems to want to surge pretty good. I realize I could build the contraption I saw posted on a previous roller thread and it would help the situation. While I think the idea is great it would partially defeat the reason I got the rollers instead of a regular trainer. I specifically got rollers to help me on my bike handling skills.

My question to you'll that use rollers will I be able to do intervals out of the saddle once I get better on the rollers or, is it just not practical to do them on rollers?
Old 01-17-14, 05:19 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Intervals best done on stationary trainer.

I suppose you may eventually be able to do them on rollers but with all-out efforts it's going to be tough.
Old 01-17-14, 06:13 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Standing all out intervals on standard rollers are virtually impossible.
Old 01-17-14, 06:27 AM
BartJ

Bikes: 08 Gaint TCR Advanced, 87 Specialized Sirrus, 07 G Fisher HiFi, 05 G Fisher Tass

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted my rollers to "motion rollers" at minimal cost by adding the wheels to the rollers instead of building a rolling platform for the rollers to sit in. I also put "bumper" wheels on too that keeps me on the roller if I drift. I can jump up on the cranks with no problems. That adds a lot to what I can do on the rollers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Barts Rollers.JPG (42.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-17-14, 07:03 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BartJ
I converted my rollers to "motion rollers" at minimal cost by adding the wheels to the rollers instead of building a rolling platform for the rollers to sit in. I also put "bumper" wheels on too that keeps me on the roller if I drift. I can jump up on the cranks with no problems. That adds a lot to what I can do on the rollers.
That's a good looking set-up. I like your idea vs. the whole frame/platform as well. Seems a lot more simple while achieving the same thing.
Old 01-17-14, 07:22 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BartJ
Bart J, not sure if I am ready to build the motion rollers just yet but, am curious what type wheels did you mount on the roller frame. Also what are you using for the "bumper" wheels? Could you maybe post some close-up pictures of your setup?
Old 01-17-14, 07:45 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I can say that even with motion rollers, intervals will be tough. I can stand easily enough and go medium-hard but it's really more for stretching than all out effort like intervals require. I love my rollers and use them more than my stationary but between resistance and stability have realized that if you're going to have to spend a lot of time indoors it's nice to have both types. If I couldn't have both I'd only do rollers though!
Old 01-17-14, 07:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Do your rollers have a fork stand option? I wonder if that'd be useful for those times you want to do intervals vs. normal riding.

Old 01-17-14, 08:14 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the intervals. Sprinting intervals probably not, but I have no problem doing threshold intervals, and will probably also be doing VO2Max intervals next month on the rollers. Perhaps it is foolish, but I might do some form sprints are well as we get closer to the spring. Not full-out sprints, but enough to work on form and technique. Sprinting is probably not the best for the trainer either, in the sense that your form would probably be crap if you can't rock the bike.

PS I also have resistance on my rollers, that makes a bit of a difference if one is spun out on the rollers
Old 01-17-14, 08:35 AM
BartJ

Bikes: 08 Gaint TCR Advanced, 87 Specialized Sirrus, 07 G Fisher HiFi, 05 G Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haz, used skateboard wheels for the rollers. I believe they have a 1/4 " axle. I think I used roller blade wheels for the bumpers. I'll take a close up of the wheel assembly tonite and post. I did use 1/4" alluminum bar stock as brackets for the roller wheels to raise the frame up some. I have notices a slight deflection on these after about a year. I may switch to steel to stffen them up a little. Wheels still turn freely. The close up will show you what i am talking about. As Robby said, its not like standing on an open road, but it does allow you to get out the the saddle from time to time and crank for a while.
Old 01-17-14, 08:55 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
But it's awesome when people videotape the wipeouts and put them on YouTube.
Old 01-17-14, 10:47 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Depends on the intervals. Sprinting intervals probably not, but I have no problem doing threshold intervals, and will probably also be doing VO2Max intervals next month on the rollers. Perhaps it is foolish, but I might do some form sprints are well as we get closer to the spring. Not full-out sprints, but enough to work on form and technique. Sprinting is probably not the best for the trainer either, in the sense that your form would probably be crap if you can't rock the bike.

PS I also have resistance on my rollers, that makes a bit of a difference if one is spun out on the rollers
+1
Old 01-17-14, 11:08 AM
robbyville

yeah I have to figure out a way to get resistance on mine. Plastic drums so can't do the towel trick. Apparently I can order an old Magura unit and jerry rig it to my rollers
Old 01-17-14, 11:23 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
incorrect, by a wide margin. But it requires a lot of practice. I would term it an advanced skill. It ranks right up there with the ability to take off a shirt while riding no-handed.

Also, datlas is correct. Intervals are easiest done on a trainer, for the obvious reason that you are less likely to crash. It's most convenient to leave efforts above VO2max to a trainer or road.

The "motion rollers" are a cool trick, but noobs shouldn't be deluded into thinking their only option for roller training is to buy a $600+ set of rollers or spend a lot of time wood or metal working. Riding rollers is a skill. Once you learn it, you'll be able to ride in much tighter spaces and if you can learn to stand fluidly on stationary rollers, you will never again be That Guy who shoots his bike back into someone's wheel every time he stands up.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-17-14, 11:31 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
incorrect, by a wide margin. But it requires a lot of practice. I would term it an advanced skill. It ranks right up there with the ability to take off a shirt while riding no-handed.

Also, datlas is correct. Intervals are easiest done on a trainer, for the obvious reason that you are less likely to crash. It's most convenient to leave efforts above VO2max to a trainer or road.

The "motion rollers" are a cool trick, but noobs shouldn't be deluded into thinking their only option for roller training is to buy a $600+ set of rollers or spend a lot of time wood or metal working. Riding rollers is a skill. Once you learn it, you'll be able to ride in much tighter spaces and if you can learn to stand fluidly on stationary rollers, you will never again be That Guy who shoots his bike back into someone's wheel every time he stands up.

I can stand on rollers, but I can't do 1200-1400 watt jumps on them.
Old 01-17-14, 12:01 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I can say that even with motion rollers, intervals will be tough. I can stand easily enough and go medium-hard but it's really more for stretching than all out effort like intervals require. I love my rollers and use them more than my stationary but between resistance and stability have realized that if you're going to have to spend a lot of time indoors it's nice to have both types. If I couldn't have both I'd only do rollers though!
1+
Standing can be achieved, and also I believe it is easy with good core strength.
Old 01-17-14, 12:15 PM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacx Galaxia style rollers allow you get to out of the saddle, for extra resistance you might be able to add a Minoura Mag Coversion kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEYijdzW8yY

Last edited by kleng; 01-17-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 12:28 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can stand on rollers, but I can't do 1200-1400 watt jumps on them.
I can. Like I said, it takes practice.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-17-14, 12:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I can stand on my resistance rollers, but I can't sprint hard. I've been using them at least once a week for 15 years, so I don't think I'm going to get much better. Having roller bumpers would add peace of mind for sure. Still, real sprint training has to be done on the road. It's not the same either on rollers or trainer because you don't have the mass to accelerate or the momentum once you're on top of the gear. Different energy expenditure pattern and feel. Plus the rocking makes a trainer NA as has already been mentioned. That said, it is good to practice standing and going up and down on the rollers. I can do intervals up to VO2max fine on my rollers, just can't really sprint.
Old 01-19-14, 09:48 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I tried rollers while watching TV and surprisingly it seemed I did better when I was distracted. During the commercials I was even able to do intervals at 80-85% of Heartrate Max while seated. It is tempting to put bumpers on the rollers and wheels on the roller frame since I have all the stuff to do it. However, this spring I want to start riding in a paceline and being able to "hold a line" is critical skill for doing this safely. I was told rollers is one of the best ways to learn this skill. So for now I guess it is more important thatI learn bike handling skills than hit the really hard intervals on the rollers.
Old 01-19-14, 03:04 PM
BartJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hazben1
Bart J, not sure if I am ready to build the motion rollers just yet but, am curious what type wheels did you mount on the roller frame. Also what are you using for the "bumper" wheels? Could you maybe post some close-up pictures of your setup?
Has! Here are two shots. As I mentioned, the roller wheels are skateboard wheels. The other wheels are from the hardware store. I used longer screws with sleeves to raise them up the wheels.
Attached Images
image.jpg (95.2 KB, 41 views)
image.jpg (96.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-19-14, 04:23 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Things you can do on a trainer...

Old 01-21-14, 05:32 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BartJ, thanks for the additional photos and info. I suspect I could probably mount the wheels on the legs of the roller frame. The bumpers I could use a piece of angle iron bolted through the prexisting holes in the frame. For now, I will leave it as is but, will keep this in the back of my mind.
Old 01-21-14, 06:28 AM
robbyville

I always enjoy watching roller videos. When someone can bunny hop off the rollers, track stand and then hop back on... now that would be impressive!
Old 01-21-14, 02:15 PM
BartJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hazben1
BartJ, thanks for the additional photos and info. I suspect I could probably mount the wheels on the legs of the roller frame. The bumpers I could use a piece of angle iron bolted through the prexisting holes in the frame. For now, I will leave it as is but, will keep this in the back of my mind.
Your mention of angle iron gives me an idea. I have a ittle bit of flex in that aluminum stock I used for the wheel brackets. You can see how the wheel is worn on the inside in the picture. I may switch those out with some angle iron. That would give me a whole lot more suport and should eliminate any flex.