Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alfine 11

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alfine 11

Old 04-14-18, 03:15 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Alfine 11

Breezer Beltway 11+

Breezer Bikes - BELTWAY 11+ - Bike Overview

FAIRFAX SC6 DLX

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/fairfax-sc6-dlx

Old 04-15-18, 05:17 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Both are very nice and would make great commuters. There is a $550 price difference between the two with the Marin being more expensive. The only part I would like to see changed are the fenders, they could be longer especially in the front of the Marin. Otherwise what's not to love?
Old 04-15-18, 06:58 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
The Marin appears to have a shorter wheelbase. My Breezer Beltway had a layed-out geometry and was very stable, but a little dull. The Marin might be more lively, can you get test rides?
Old 04-15-18, 10:37 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Marin is better spec’d. Geo numbers indicate the Breezer will be slower handling and stable to the point of almost boredom. 465 chainstays?! If you plan on packing heavy and place a premium on stability, the Breezer would be where you start. I would expect the Marin to be far more nimble and lively, but agree the fenders are a bit too short. Spec differences favor the Marin, though the dyno hub on the Breezer is higher grade. If it was gonna be my money, I’d buy the Marin and snag me a scrap of conveyor belting and cut myself a nice looking mud flap to hang off the front fender. Tight budget? The Breezer is no slouch and could easily be one of the nicest bikes on the rack. Either bike raises concern for theft, so I’d have a plan for something extraordinary to keep it mine.

-Kedosto
Old 04-16-18, 03:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gates belts and cogwheels spares, are easier to find, than Continental.
Old 04-16-18, 10:42 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
The Breezer frame looks more sensible to me.
Old 04-16-18, 11:48 PM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I'd pick up a backup belt either way. Does the Continental have a good/bad reputation in terms of performance and durability? My Gates CDX has been bomber!
Old 04-17-18, 12:35 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
As in, the Continental components can't be found at all without contacting Continental directly.
Old 04-17-18, 01:35 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I have the beltway. My first foray into commuter bikes- and I've been happy. Other than changing the rim to go tubeless, it's had no problems- I like the quietness and lack of chain grease from the belt drive. It is a bit heavy, but very stable.
Old 04-17-18, 01:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As in, the Continental components can't be found at all without contacting Continental directly.

You search and tell pakeboi, It's not my issue, I have chain driven IGH bikes.. my nearby shop is not a breezer dealer..

At my Local shop the distributor selling Continental tires has nothing in their dealer catalog about their belt drive stuff.

even a broken Gates crank ring was a special order, so the touring cyclist got to buy local hospitality services for a few days

Which are many.. so no suffering..

Old 04-18-18, 04:15 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Both are very nice and would make great commuters. There is a $550 price difference between the two with the Marin being more expensive. The only part I would like to see changed are the fenders, they could be longer especially in the front of the Marin. Otherwise what's not to love?
lol that's exactly what I thought! $550 extra dollars buys you a shorter front fender! Breezer FTW!
Old 01-26-20, 06:54 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you satisfied ?

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
The Marin appears to have a shorter wheelbase. My Breezer Beltway had a layed-out geometry and was very stable, but a little dull. The Marin might be more lively, can you get test rides?
I am looking for an all-year-round commuter bike. I live next to Montreal, Canada and this means winter, slush and deicing salt.

A few weeks ago, I found some critics dating from circa 2012 complaining about the overall quality of the Breezer Beltway.

I am ambivalent between the Marin Presidio 3 or the Breezer Beltway11+.
The Presidio 4 DLX seems also nice much more expensive and some of the options I could retrofit later from an Presidio 3...

What about your Beltway ?

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 02-15-20 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 05:39 PM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
I am looking for an all-year-round commuter bike. I live next to Montreal, Canada and this means winter, slush and deicing salt.

A few weeks ago, I found some critics dating from circa 2012 complaining about the overall quality or Breezer Beltway.

I am ambivalent between the Marin Presidio 3 or the Breezer Beltway11+.
The Presiodio 4 DLX seems also nice much more expensive and some of the options I could retrofit later from an Presidio 3...

What about your Beltway ?
I gave my Breezer Beltway to my son in California a couple years ago - assume it is still fine. I upgraded to a BMC Alpinchallenge AC01 belt drive with Alfine 8.IGH, which is a reliable and fun ride.
Old 01-27-20, 06:32 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I gave my Breezer Beltway to my son in California a couple years ago - assume it is still fine. I upgraded to a BMC Alpinchallenge AC01 belt drive with Alfine 8.IGH, which is a reliable and fun ride.
Why would see say you upgraded ? Can you describe why it is a better bike than the Breezer ?

I was also looking for the BMC AC01 and a Tout Terrain Metropolitan.
From what I see on the AC01 pictures, there are no bosses for a rear pannier rack...

I find the European bikes quite nice and sturdy but they are a bit pricey. I guess it's probably that they are made in Germany or Swiss instead of tiered to China.
Old 02-01-20, 08:10 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would definitely like your input on the Alpenchallenge AC01.

Looking at the pictures, I was skeptical at this bike as beeing a real commuter I could not see any rack bosses. I wrote BMC and they explained how to install a Tubus EVO and now this AC01 is back for contender.
Old 02-01-20, 12:26 PM
Archwhorides 

I would definitely like your input on the Alpenchallenge AC01.

Looking at the pictures, I was skeptical at this bike as beeing a real commuter I could not see any rack bosses. I wrote BMC and they explained how to install a Tubus EVO and now this AC01 is back for contender.
I used trailer hitch nuts to mount an Ortleib Fly rack to the rear axle of the AC01. https://www.thule.com/en-us/accessor...ram-_-20100798 I carry a small crescent wrench to release the wheel for maintenance. This solution also requires a small Orteib adapter widget to raise the rack for wheel clearance.

The AC01 has a somewhat different frame geometry than the AC02 (which has rack bosses): the drive train is shorter and the rear wheel is compressed tight into the seat-tube, requiring proprietary BMC/Curana fenders and limiting options for studded tires (only a 30mm will fit). I forgive the limitations and irritations of this setup because I love the nimble AC01 ride and the bike has held up under significant abuse.

Old 02-03-20, 11:03 AM
Nikkon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can also look at cube editor and canyon commuter sport
Old 02-04-20, 06:06 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
the bike has held up under significant abuse.

That's a slight understatement.
Old 02-06-20, 02:40 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
[...] If you plan on packing heavy and place a premium on stability, the Breezer would be where you start. [...]

-Kedosto
I don't plan packing heavy. I have not weighted my Ortlieb panniers but it's sure under 9 kg (20 lb)

[...] If it was gonna be my money, I’d buy the Marin and snag me a scrap of conveyor belting and cut myself a nice looking mud flap to hang off the front fender. [...]

-Kedosto
I would have no problems adding a piece of conveyor belt. I think Pamela Blalock or Sheldon Brown have done it.

[...] Either bike raises concern for theft, so I’d have a plan for something extraordinary to keep it mine.

-Kedosto
I have read abour Pitlock and when I get a new bike, I will for sure invest in Pitlock for hubs, headset, saddle... I want to keep it mine as well.
Old 02-06-20, 02:49 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The BMC AC01 Two is now a serious contender.

I used trailer hitch nuts to mount an Ortleib Fly rack to the rear axle of the AC01. [...] I carry a small crescent wrench to release the wheel for maintenance. This solution also requires a small Orteib adapter widget to raise the rack for wheel clearance. [...]
Nice!
[...] The AC01 has a somewhat different frame geometry than the AC02 (which has rack bosses): the drive train is shorter and the rear wheel is compressed tight into the seat-tube, [...]
Have you tried the AC02 ?

[...]requiring proprietary BMC/Curana fenders and limiting options for studded tires (only a 30mm will fit). [...]
Do you ride studded tires, if yes, how does it handle in winter ?
I actually ride 26x2" which is 52mm and I worry about those 30mm...

You are very helpful. Thanks!

FWIW, I also looked at the Schindelhauer and it just happens that the first North American LBS is about to sell them in Montreal, a 40 minute drive.
Old 02-06-20, 10:50 PM
Archwhorides 

The BMC AC01 Two is now a serious contender.

Nice!

Have you tried the AC02 ?

Do you ride studded tires, if yes, how does it handle in winter ?

I actually ride 26x2" which is 52mm and I worry about those 30mm..

FWIW, I also looked at the Schindelhauer and it just happens that the first North American LBS is about to sell them in Montreal, a 40 minute drive.
Those Schindelhauer cycles are damn sexy.

As for your BMC questions:
  1. AC02 is a little heavier (by 1.4 KG) and more dull-feeling than the AC01. On the other hand, it accommodates a larger 35MM tire, has bosses for racks/fenders and accommodates more fender options than the AC01. The 35MM tire clearance is also interesting, because that allows more options for studded and winter tires, such as the Marathon Winter 35mm 4-row studded tire, which is invulnerable.
  2. I do ride studded tires in winter. It's like riding a rolling meat-grinder, with extra rolling resistance, but it gets the job done safely in icy conditions.
Old 02-07-20, 06:41 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[...]
  1. AC02 is a little heavier (by 1.4 kg) and more dull-feeling than the AC01. On the other hand, it accommodates a larger 35MM tire, has bosses for racks/fenders and accommodates more fender options than the AC01. The 35MM tire clearance is also interesting, because that allows more options for studded and winter tires, such as the Marathon Winter 35mm 4-row studded tire, which is invulnerable. [...]
Do you ride mostly downtown or does your commute include some rural or low trafic straight roads ?

I know next to nothing in bike geometry so I called the BMC's LBS (60 minute drive) to discuss about AC01 vs AC02 vs Marin Presidio 3. The guy told me much the same thing that what you express as beeing "joyfull" vs "dull". An AC01 would be better in quickly managing my way between car and busses in downtown Montreal whereas the AC02 would be more comfy on long haul. How one describes a long haul... I do not plan on touring.

Since the bikes are special ordered and the LBS sells more AMP (electric) version, the guy himself has not tried the both of them in a short period. His comments are solely based on the geometrys as he reads them on paper.

Now again, I would rely on your experience since you have rode so many nice commuters.

My immediate need is to commute 22 km (14 mi.), 44 km RT on a shi**ty road for which some portions are like the remnants of a civil war. A few trafic lights, 75% in agricultural fields. One way commute on Strava. I only ascent 36m over the whole trip. I'd like the gear ratios to be speed oriented as opposed to hill climbing.

Now, the carbon fork, the 1.4 kg lower weight and what you describe as fun ride of the AC01 would lean me that way.
The AC01 has 55T crank / 24T cog while the AC02 has an unspecified crank / 18T cog, which looks more highly geared, thus leaning me toward the AC02 unless I plan on paying for swapping some drivetrain gears if it's too low geared. How would you describe the gearing ratios ?

Since you have road tested both of them, I'd like your input on that...

Thanks again. If it existed, I would teleport you a wine bottle.
Old 02-08-20, 09:42 AM
Archwhorides 

Do you ride mostly downtown or does your commute include some rural or low trafic straight roads ?
. How one describes a long haul... .
My commute is a 20 mile RT, 1/3 on bikeway, 2/3 on urban streets, with few hills or climbs; my 8 gears are more than enough for this. I have ridden the AC01 30+ miles on hilly rural roads, and it is a blast if you have the fit, grips and saddle dialed in; I like straight bars, so no issues there.

My immediate need is to commute 22 km (14 mi.), 44 km RT on a shi**ty road for which some portions are like the remnants of a civil war. A few trafic lights, 75% in agricultural fields. One way commute on Strava. I only ascent 36m over the whole trip. I'd like the gear ratios to be speed oriented as opposed to hill climbing.
Even the Alfine 8 has more than enough gearing for your route. My only concern for the AC01 (8 or 11 speed) is the nasty pavement you describe, because this bike has a very rigid frame with only 30mm tires. Even with a carbon fork, that yields a fairly rough ride.
A bike with 650b balloon tires would give you a much smoother ride. Priority 600 The Pinion has way more gear range than you need and is heavier than you want, but the ride is super-cush and you can keep pedaling though the pot-holes better than a thinner-tired bike.

Something in-between is the Budnitz Alpha from Burlington VT: Budnitz Alpha This bike runs 40mm tires and carbon fork, which would still a fair amount cushier than the BMC. The fit and finish of Bunitz is superb.

Some guys would ride a light single-speed with cush tires on a rough route as flat as that, with so few starts and stops. Spot makes a really nice belt drive SS gravel bike for up to 40mm tires: Spot SS I've seen this one in the store and it's gorgeous. There are some 650b SS belt drive bikes out their with 47mm WTB tires, that would work very nicely on rutty roads. Bombtrack SS

Now, the carbon fork, the 1.4 kg lower weight and what you describe as fun ride of the AC01 would lean me that way.
The AC01 has 55T crank / 24T cog while the AC02 has an unspecified crank / 18T cog, which looks more highly geared, thus leaning me toward the AC02 unless I plan on paying for swapping some drivetrain gears if it's too low geared. How would you describe the gearing ratios ?
With thinner tires on rough roads, get the carbon fork. Honestly, any 3+ gear bike should meet your needs, and SS may even get the job done. The Alfine 11 will get you up some fairly steep hills if you go out for a longer road spin. Alfine 8 has about the same overall range, but some irritating gaps in the shifting.

Thanks again. If it existed, I would teleport you a wine bottle.
Allergic to wine, but good luck with your search.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 02-08-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-08-20, 04:43 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[...] My only concern for the AC01 (8 or 11 speed) is the nasty pavement you describe, because this bike has a very rigid frame with only 30mm tires. Even with a carbon fork, that yields a fairly rough ride.
The really nasty part is 3.5 km (2.2 mi). I could live with that.

I am really leaning toward the AC01 Two at the moment. Price/Features, it seems unbeatable.

What is more of a concern is that 12 months commuting demands fenders and I have read some user's reviews where they call them a bit flimsy (easy to dent) and they are expensive to replace. Any comments on the fenders ?

[...] Priority 600 [...]
I don't plan on touring. So, as much as I find the Pinion c.12 appealing, this is too much for my immediate needs.

[...] Budnitz Alpha This bike runs 40mm tires and carbon fork, which would still a fair amount cushier than the BMC. The fit and finish of Budnitz is superb.
That one is really nice but 2250 U$ = 2925 C$ + custom's clearance. Sad! I would have liked this one.

[...] Spot SS I've seen this one in the store and it's gorgeous.
This one's also nice. 1725 U$ = 2240 C$ + custom's clearance + autoassembly. But I can easily see myself riding it.

There are some 650b SS belt drive bikes out their with 47mm WTB tires, that would work very nicely on rutty roads. Bombtrack SS
Nice. It says it's fender ready but the picture is not convincing me about the clearance...

Schindelhauer Viktor 1900 C$ in an LBS. Damn, the promo video makes me badly want it

This shopping is both fun and stressful at the same time.........
Old 02-08-20, 10:30 PM
Archwhorides 

What is more of a concern is that 12 months commuting demands fenders and I have read some user's reviews where they call them a bit flimsy (easy to dent) and they are expensive to replace. Any comments on the fenders ?
The Curana fenders are very light, are designed to be easibly removable, and they were originally too delicate for my daily pounding.

My rear fender rattled around like crazy from the start and it drove me nuts. I siliconed it permanently into place against the seat tube and riveted a flexible plastic mudguard to the bottom edge, which improves the splash resistance and prevents the thin aluminum edge from cracking. That was a few years ago, and since these mods, the fenders have held up just fine.

In summary, I think they are cool fenders, but I recommend some pre-emptive modifications to toughen them up for your daily grinds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.