Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking into getting a newer bike and was hoping for any advice you can give.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 09:35 AM
Jwspriggs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm looking into getting a newer bike. I've been borrowing a bike from friend but would like to get my own. I don't have the budget to spend several hundred on a bike, but have found what I think are two decently priced used bikes within my price range. The first is a Trek 7300 for $150 and the second is an older Cannondale SM500 for $225. I'm planning on using it mostly for a daily commute and then some occasional off road trails. Any help advice or tips you could offer me would be a great help.
h t t p: //imgur.c o m/gallery/IgRf0De
Thanks!

Last edited by Jwspriggs; 06-13-19 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 10:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
There might be ways to post links using a bit of c r e ativity. And without actually seeing the bikes in person no one here can tell if they are good or trash. And no one here knows if they fit you. And no one here knows how far you might commute, over what kind of roads, carrying what sort of load, in what sort of time frame, in what sort of weather. And no one here except you knows what you mean by "some occasional off road trails." Do you mean gravel trails, paved rails-to-trails, packed earth trails MTB trails, downhill trails?

The more people here know , the more bad advice they can give you. Help them out, please.
Old 06-13-19, 10:24 AM
Jwspriggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have links, just pictures unfortunately. The commute is only about 3 miles and it's all on decent enough roads and only has a few major hills and I'd only be carrying a regular backpack. Ive been riding it every day and just changing on days it rains. As far as trails going mostly paved rails to trails, gravel and maybe some packed.
Thanks!
Old 06-13-19, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
fortytwo

Some bike shops resell used bikes, as is, and some buy used bikes and refurbish them..

A used bike generally needs some work done, on it. a shop can tell you ...

how much? I cannot tell without seeing it in person..
Old 06-13-19, 11:31 AM
Jwspriggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to edit the original post and add a link to the pictures. Just needed to add a few spaces so that it was allowed on and you could see the bikes.
Old 06-13-19, 11:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

It seems the Trek was introduced in 212 ns is a basic Al-framed hardtail with a cheesy front shock. (TREK 7300 bicycle specifications. Bike weight, wheel diameter, frame, brake system, gear system, suspension.)

I personally wouldn’t want a shock on any bike I was going to r4ide unless it was a serious MTB …. For road use they are just weight and liability, and the chances of the shock being in good shape seven years later ……

Otherwise, pertty basic bike. The only questions would be, Does it fit? And Does it work. Unlss you know enough about bikes to be absolutely sure that everything works …. Well, you take your chances.

The Cannondale … the only thing I could find (I didn’t look hard, that’s your job) is from 1983 or so (https://community.vintagecannondale.c...0.262/)…. A rigid aluminum mountain bike which is a perfect commuter, actually, except that since it is so old 9if the one you are considering is) that the chances of it not needing a lot of work soon are pretty low.

On the other hand, it is all pretty basic if you have bike tools and a little experience.

Frankly, for a three-mile ride with only a few hills, any bike should do. You will want decent brakes if you plan to ride in the rain, but both these bikes would be fine. You would want to put on fat tires without out much tread… offroad-style tread blocks (called “knobs”) make you unstable on pavement and slow you down, too.

And either bike would be fine for trails, with tires that wide.

In both cases the issues are fit and condition. When buying a used bike you are buying the result of someone else’s care or carelessness, good, bad, or no maintenance.

If either of these look good and fit and seem sound …. It’s your choice. Either could be a ton of fun or a money pit.

Whenever buying a used bike count on needing new tubes (plus a couple spares) and consider whether you will need new cables---cables fray and rust and gunk up and five years is pretty old for a cable on a well-used bike. You might need a new chain but might get by with Thoroughly cleaning and Thoroughly drying the chain and relubing it. The tires might be dry-rotted or worn. Factor that into the budget if you need to.

Check to see how worm the brake shoes are, and how hard. Some can vulcanize over time and become useless. Brake shoes should be cheap and easy to replace but you will need to get the right ones. These might be fine, but it is better to check than to find out when you need to stop and can’t.

Also, I recommend a mini-pump, tire levers, and glueless patches, plus spare tubes. If getting to work matters, you will need to be able to do a quick tire repair sooner or later.
Old 06-13-19, 11:48 AM
Maelochs

Okay ... had to tell, but it looks like the Cannondale is set up for someone over six feet tall and the Trek for a much shorter rider. I don't see how both could fit.

I haven't looked much at the Trek but the Cannondale's drivetrain is Really rusty ... the owner didn't care enough to clean it up to sell it but is still asking a lot of money for a bike that old. That says some thing ... you have to decide what.

I love the C'dale as a basic bike, but I am not sure how much of it could be salvaged. The tires look good---it looks like he rode it a lot, but not sure he maintained it. Or maybe he replaced the tires before putting it in his shed and forgetting it. If he rode it the cables might be okay ... the chain will need to soak in gasoline or mineral spirits for a long time to get clean, I think.

Does it come with the front bag? I'd prefer a rear rack, but both would be better?

But the real issue is, does it fit. it looks like a big bike.
Old 06-13-19, 11:58 AM
Maelochs

The Trek is much smaller ... and much cleaner. You can tell a shop or an enthusiast really wants to get max money for it. Nice detailing. The bike looks ready to go, the paint isn't all chipped and scratched (that i can see) which tells me that the the bike wasn't abused. The tires look pretty pavement-ready (as opposed to the C'dale's knobbies.)

I'd say either one for $150 would be a good deal (the C'dale needs pedals but you could get junk pedals form any bike for a 3-mile commute.) Caveat: I cannot See either bike, I cannot touch either bike. I cannot pick up and shake either bike, or bounce them, or spin the tires or shake the cranks or squeeze the brakes or shift the gears .... either of these bikes could be junk.

But the biggest thing is fit---the Cannondale looks huge (those cranks look like clown-shoe cranks) and the Trek looks tiny. You will not ride a bike which doesn't fit .... you will not be abler to comfortably ride a bike which doesn't fit.

The Trek has obviously been gone over by a shop mechanic and probably comes with a warranty. The C'dale might have been sitting for who knows how long so it might need some work or it might not. Also, it looks as though the C'dale has off-road gearing---pretty low gears. I cannot tell without looking much more closely. (On closer inspection it might be 48-38-28---hard to tell the scale, but not an issue after all.)

I think the Cannondale is overpriced. it is an old, old bike but not a terribly desirable bike. But, if it fits and you want it, you have to make whatever deal you can.