Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bougie Bike Build

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Bougie Bike Build

Old 01-21-20, 07:32 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
New Bougie Bike Build

I finally got the bike I put on back order a week ago and put on accessories to give it the look I wanted. Thanks again for opinions on some of those! It’s a bit much for a commuter, and it’s most of the riding I do these days. Luckily I’m not worried at work, bike theft isn’t big here, and I carry a substantial lock.

This is a primarily commuter and all around build and the first road bike I’ve bought or built in about 10 years. I checked out all the local bike shops and brands they carried. Then, I went looking through catalogs and figured these new gravel bikes had what I wanted in an all around commuter. The mix of price, components, and color got me to order the Trek, and it’s the first of their bikes that I’ve owned. Others I saw had a bit small of a large chainring for my purposes and tended to go kinda cheaper on the crank but for little to no difference in price. Others also didn’t have hydraulic disc, which I fell in love with after riding around on a bike with them in Germany. I think my other consideration was a Specialized Sequoia, and I shied away from the weight before accessories. I still have to ride this thing up the foothills. The color immediately gave me ideas on what to put on it, and I like the way they change the look.

Bike specs:
Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 gravel bike in British Racing Green
Shimano 11-speed 105 group with hydraulic disc brakes
Compact double front and 11-34T rear
Swapped saddle for a Brooks B17 with the fancy copper rails and rivets
Swapped bar tape for Leh Cycles leather bar tape. The Brooks tape just didn’t look like great quality.
Swapped gravel tires for 700x35c Schwalbe Marathon Supreme touring tires
Installed Handsome Cycles hammered copper anodized aluminum fenders
Installed copper bottle cages
Installed Axiom rear rack I already had
Installed Crankbros Candy 3 pedals
The only other thing I’ll be doing here is using one of the Bontrager Blendr stem mounts for a GoPro and a Cygolite GoPro adapter to mount the headlight on the bottom (or top) of the stem.

Here she is together on the first commuting ride.

Last edited by Falkon; 01-22-20 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For Falkon:
Old 01-21-20, 05:58 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Nice, I would like it even better without the bright green trek logo but thats just me, very well put together.
Old 01-21-20, 10:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Solid.

Is the copper clear coated or intended to tarnish?

Really 12-42? That’s a lot
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-22-20, 07:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Sweet!
Old 01-22-20, 09:34 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Nice looking ride. You almost followed the maxim of no more than three colors. Close enough.
Old 01-22-20, 12:21 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Originally Posted by jdswitters
Nice, I would like it even better without the bright green trek logo but thats just me, very well put together.
Agreed. I don't mind it so much, but I could do without it. I'm trying to decide if I should try to match new panniers to that accent color or go with "good enough" dark green or black.
Old 01-22-20, 12:24 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Solid.

Intended to tarnish, but I'm not sure what will. It's just anodized aluminum fenders and copper plated steel seat. I love the wide range cassette. With the normal compact double, I've got enough gears to climb while loaded down but I'm not really close to topping out the gears. The 42t cog means I've got a 1:1 climbing gear. That's great, because this thing isn't light, and I'm out of shape.
Old 01-22-20, 12:34 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
Agreed. I don't mind it so much, but I could do without it. I'm trying to decide if I should try to match new panniers to that accent color or go with "good enough" dark green or black.
FWIW I think the leather and green seatbag looks good, and would try to match that. Over time the faded green canvas does not look as bad as my black canvas seatbag when it faded. But that may have more to do with the limited number of canvas bags I'm familiar with.
Old 01-22-20, 03:22 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Originally Posted by jdswitters
FWIW I think the leather and green seatbag looks good, and would try to match that. Over time the faded green canvas does not look as bad as my black canvas seatbag when it faded. But that may have more to do with the limited number of canvas bags I'm familiar with.
The whole bike is dark green. I want to get new panniers that are actually waterproof, and I’m probably going for Ortlieb. They make a PVC-free bag that looks like a close match to the Miami green accents and logo on the bike. These in the lagoon color could be a close match. I dunno, it’s already kinda loud, and I’m not a huge fan of that color. Bright is good for visibility, but I’m not sure just how close a match the colors are without seeing it in person. I knew I wanted to do the tan leather, dark green, and copper combination. The Brooks saddle bag has a matching color leather to the saddle, but I was quite surprised at how big a medium size is. I could put a tallboy beer in there along with my normal tools, patch kit, and spare tube. Ortlieb also makes this bag in dark green that is a close match to the frame color. There’s always the option to just go with black. I’m kind of leaning towards the second bag in the pine green color. I’ll take your opinion on that though.
Old 01-22-20, 04:24 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Good-looking and unique, that must have been fun to build up.

Can I put in a request to see the drive side please?
Old 01-22-20, 05:26 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Solid.

Oops, I'm off. It's an 11-34t.
Old 01-23-20, 08:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Distinctive! Well done.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-23-20, 09:32 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Wow! Beautiful bike. Tastefully done with components reflecting a thoughtful approach. Who says commuters have to be any less beautiful? Have you considered Portland Design water bottle cages? I’d say you really nailed it with this one. Once you start getting a little patina on that saddle, grips and fenders the natural beauty will get even better. Bravo!

-Kedosto
Old 01-24-20, 08:26 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
Slick - very nice!

Old 01-25-20, 09:58 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
That bike is gorgeous!!

I finally got the bike I put on back order a week ago and put on accessories to give it the look I wanted. Thanks again for opinions on some of those! It’s a bit much for a commuter, and it’s most of the riding I do these days. Luckily I’m not worried at work, bike theft isn’t big here, and I carry a substantial lock.

This is a primarily commuter and all around build and the first road bike I’ve bought or built in about 10 years. I checked out all the local bike shops and brands they carried. Then, I went looking through catalogs and figured these new gravel bikes had what I wanted in an all around commuter. The mix of price, components, and color got me to order the Trek, and it’s the first of their bikes that I’ve owned. Others I saw had a bit small of a large chainring for my purposes and tended to go kinda cheaper on the crank but for little to no difference in price. Others also didn’t have hydraulic disc, which I fell in love with after riding around on a bike with them in Germany. I think my other consideration was a Specialized Sequoia, and I shied away from the weight before accessories. I still have to ride this thing up the foothills. The color immediately gave me ideas on what to put on it, and I like the way they change the look.

Bike specs:
Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 gravel bike in British Racing Green
Shimano 11-speed 105 group with hydraulic disc brakes
Compact double front and 11-34T rear
Swapped saddle for a Brooks B17 with the fancy copper rails and rivets
Swapped bar tape for Leh Cycles leather bar tape. The Brooks tape just didn’t look like great quality.
Swapped gravel tires for 700x35c Schwalbe Marathon Supreme touring tires
Installed Handsome Cycles hammered copper anodized aluminum fenders
Installed copper bottle cages
Installed Axiom rear rack I already had
Installed Crankbros Candy 3 pedals
The only other thing I’ll be doing here is using one of the Bontrager Blendr stem mounts for a GoPro and a Cygolite GoPro adapter to mount the headlight on the bottom (or top) of the stem.

Here she is together on the first commuting ride.

Very nice build.
Old 01-26-20, 01:34 PM
Lidatation

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whow! That is a nice build!
Old 02-10-20, 02:18 PM
Scott6283

Bikes: Early 90’s specialized Hardrock , ska fenders, Tunis rear rack, sublime front rack, trekking bars

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very classy and tastefully done! I love the copper and leather accents. Looks great!