Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Old 08-15-17, 10:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
yeah I'll be starting to ramp it up in September. Between now and then I'll be doing whatever I have to do make sure my CTL doesn't continue to drop... Currently at 60
Old 08-15-17, 10:16 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
My CTL's at 33, but my TSB is down to 1.4 from a high of 40 or so. Yay progress! CTL was in the 90s before I crashed. Gonna take a while to get back there!

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-15-17, 08:55 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
RMR Crit tonight in South SLC. Usually just a weeknight crit, but there was USAC points on the line tonight. Flat, racetracsk course, Easy 90* sweep, small Right-Left chicane and then a long 180* bend back to the drag strip. Back side was real bumpy. B grade, 45 minute race.

Race started out chill for the first two laps then the attacks started coming. It didn't look like anything was going to stick due to the headwind on the drag strip. Tried jumping int othe tailwind as everyone was taking it real slow out of the headwind and into the 90* bend. Came real wide and got a pretty good gap. Was watching shadows and saw one other had come up to me. Kept the head down pulling (I've been working on...DON'T LOOK BACK) until the chicane where I pulled off to see it was two. Caught the wheel and realized we had a sizeable gap. Guy who pulled trhough was toast though and didn't put in a big enough effort in the headwind and when I came back through, it was too late. Back to the pack and recovered in about a lap and a half.

Little later, heard some guys talking about a coup to go for it next lap. Anticipated and jumped to them. Head down pulling but the group got too big so back in the pack. Another lap to recover.

Few more tries to wait for breaks to go and bridging across, but nothing was going to stick. Saw some teams start to mass at the front at 3 to go so I moved up and caught the back of a train. 2 to go and we catch the last straggler. Had planned to go in the same spot with 1 to go, about a mile out into the tailwind, but someone else took that jump. Caught onto about 6th wheel and waited about 25 seconds and he was back in the group. Remembered something I read on here about "race to win, leave nothing behind" and went for it. Jumped hard, got the gap into the chicane and headed into the last corner. Balked at it and touched brakes. ****. Lost a ton of momentum and came out really wide. Got back on the pedals with about 500m headwind to go. Couldn't hear anybody coming and knew I had a gap coming out of the corner. Out of the saddle sprinting until the legs were giving out and I got caught with about 40m to go to the line. Ended up 6th or 7th.

Summary... I'm feeling real good for crit racing. Like some of the best I've ever felt. Too bad there are so few opportuniteis here and it's practically the end of the season. My recovery is excellent, power is there and I played the race tactically correct and to my strengths. Looking at my power graph, I crossed into Negative W` about 200m to go. Had I held my speed better through the last corner, who knows? Maybe I could have held on for the win or at least a top 3 and some upgrade points.

Man, I've missed crit racing.
Old 08-15-17, 10:45 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
My CTL's at 33, but my TSB is down to 1.4 from a high of 40 or so. Yay progress! CTL was in the 90s before I crashed. Gonna take a while to get back there!
You'll get there! Many of us have been through a similar struggle - you feel like you're at rock bottom and will never get back to where you were.

But you will, just need patience.

The nice thing is that getting CTL up from a lower level is easy. It's when you get it up to 70+ that it takes a lot more work to get it up..

my race videos
Old 08-16-17, 06:49 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, when you are rocking that high CTL sometimes fatigue really hurts the performance...
Old 08-16-17, 07:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I think I was at 85 for my peak CTL in early July. That's enough for me.
Old 08-17-17, 01:58 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
9th at the Habbie Habble 3/4 RR. 4 laps of a hilly circuit. Positioning was good in a reduced bunch, but I'm lacking fitness after a mid-season break.

I've got 4 races left to nab my 2nd cat license. This has been a season of owning 9th through 6th place, but I guess it could be worse.
Old 08-19-17, 10:50 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
At what point should I just quit racing? Cuz thats obviously want the gods want. That's now a flat in the last 4 fun road races.
Old 08-19-17, 11:08 AM
aaronmcd

I should just get tubeless tires for race day so they can't pinch flat, and buy training wheels for the follow car and every other day. I feel like its been a big fat waste of a season
Old 08-19-17, 12:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Mount Washington gton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6947.jpg (96.7 KB, 77 views)
IMG_6948.jpg (100.1 KB, 75 views)
IMG_6949.jpg (92.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-19-17, 02:28 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Mount Washington gton
Mega congrats, @gsteinb!
Old 08-19-17, 02:29 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
At what point should I just quit racing? Cuz thats obviously want the gods want. That's now a flat in the last 4 fun road races.
what tires are you using?
Old 08-19-17, 02:37 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by hack
what tires are you using?
All sorts.
I think it may be because my tire clearance limits me to 23s but my wheels are Flo 30s which have wide rims. So I guess Ill buy new wheels or a new frame or both. Shoulda figured this out before the last 2 weeks. (Last week was a ginormous pothole, but today it was just a rough bridge that shouldn't have caused a pinch).
Old 08-19-17, 04:31 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Congrats gsteinb!
Old 08-19-17, 04:46 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Way to go, Gary!

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-19-17, 04:56 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
All sorts.
I think it may be because my tire clearance limits me to 23s but my wheels are Flo 30s which have wide rims. So I guess Ill buy new wheels or a new frame or both. Shoulda figured this out before the last 2 weeks. (Last week was a ginormous pothole, but today it was just a rough bridge that shouldn't have caused a pinch).
what pressure?
Old 08-19-17, 05:08 PM
revchuck 
OMC

All sorts.
My Allez Sprint frameset will easily take 28s, maybe even 30s. I'm currently running 26s. Just sayin'...

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-19-17, 09:00 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
what pressure?
this is the real question

my race videos
Old 08-19-17, 09:01 PM
mattm
**** that

sorry you flatted today - things were just starting to get interesting!

my race videos
Old 08-19-17, 09:19 PM
mattm
**** that

San Ardo RR p/1/2 - 92 miles. 4th.

Worse than I thought I'd do from looking at pre-reg, but better than I thought I'd do after seeing who actually showed up. Bunch of Socal guys including a KHS domestic pro.

I've never done this race before, but this year given the chase for BAR points (I'm 2nd overall) and Cal Cup points (5th) I figured why not. It sucked getting up so early to drive two hours but it ended up being worth it.

The course is in the central valley farm land, rolling with some small kickers, lots of wind. Main guy I was watching was Cory L from KHS/Elevate - you might have seen him on TV at the Tour of Utah recently. Plus he won this race last year.

An early break of four went on the first of four laps - with guys I wasn't too worried about. One dropped out, one flatted out, another dropped out, one held it ftw. (said he held just over 300w for the duration! and he weighed about as much as me, it looked like)

At the start of the final lap we had the break in our sights, maybe 30 seconds up the road. One guy sat up, the other kept going. I figured he wouldn't be able to hold it solo. But he did.

The field of ~25 chasers was whittled down to about 15 at the end. We chased, but not in a super-organized way. Cory attacked a few times, but I was always on his wheel when he did. I attacked a few times, but everyone was on my wheel. There was a lot of yelling, cajoling, etc, by some to get guys to chase more, but towards the end I figured I was willing to take the risk of the solo guy staying away, and just wanted to save energy so I sat in. I mean if I'm solo out there, what else am I gonna do? That said I did more work than a bunch of guys in our group.

The finish is a confusing one; you do half of the little climb, then take a left that you only do for the finish, just after a left that goes on to the freeway (101). They had signs and told us about this before the race, but four hours later it was easy to forget. So we're ramping up for the final left turn, I'm feeling good, wondering why we're not going harder, and one guy took the early left on to the freeway on-ramp! Luckily not on top of me but right in front of me, and a few guys almost followed him.

Soon after we take the correct left for the ~200m sprint for the line, and I'd lost a few positions but came around Cory for 3rd in the field sprint, 4th overall. Not bad for an fat old crit guy!

As a bonus, I was first out of the Norcal riders, so I should get max BAR point and move in to 1st overall, or close to it!

my race videos
Old 08-19-17, 09:42 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@aaronmcd -- new frame or wheels that allow you to run wide tires may not help you with preventing pinch flats.

If you do that, you'll then want to lower pressure. Lowering pressure will make you more prone to pinch flats with tubes.

Tubeless....think carefully about that one.

Hitting square edges is a reality in mass start racing and is a good case for tubulars. There is a real reason why they are useful, though there are plenty of reasons people find not to use them. They're also safer (just a bit) in many scenarios; you can often find amazing deals on them, too.
Old 08-19-17, 09:46 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by mattm
San Ardo RR p/1/2 - 92 miles. 4th.

Worse than I thought I'd do from looking at pre-reg, but better than I thought I'd do after seeing who actually showed up. Bunch of Socal guys including a KHS domestic pro.

I've never done this race before, but this year given the chase for BAR points (I'm 2nd overall) and Cal Cup points (5th) I figured why not. It sucked getting up so early to drive two hours but it ended up being worth it.

The course is in the central valley farm land, rolling with some small kickers, lots of wind. Main guy I was watching was Cory L from KHS/Elevate - you might have seen him on TV at the Tour of Utah recently. Plus he won this race last year.

An early break of four went on the first of four laps - with guys I wasn't too worried about. One dropped out, one flatted out, another dropped out, one held it ftw. (said he held just over 300w for the duration! and he weighed about as much as me, it looked like)

At the start of the final lap we had the break in our sights, maybe 30 seconds up the road. One guy sat up, the other kept going. I figured he wouldn't be able to hold it solo. But he did.

The field of ~25 chasers was whittled down to about 15 at the end. We chased, but not in a super-organized way. Cory attacked a few times, but I was always on his wheel when he did. I attacked a few times, but everyone was on my wheel. There was a lot of yelling, cajoling, etc, by some to get guys to chase more, but towards the end I figured I was willing to take the risk of the solo guy staying away, and just wanted to save energy so I sat in. I mean if I'm solo out there, what else am I gonna do? That said I did more work than a bunch of guys in our group.

The finish is a confusing one; you do half of the little climb, then take a left that you only do for the finish, just after a left that goes on to the freeway (101). They had signs and told us about this before the race, but four hours later it was easy to forget. So we're ramping up for the final left turn, I'm feeling good, wondering why we're not going harder, and one guy took the early left on to the freeway on-ramp! Luckily not on top of me but right in front of me, and a few guys almost followed him.

Soon after we take the correct left for the ~200m sprint for the line, and I'd lost a few positions but came around Cory for 3rd in the field sprint, 4th overall. Not bad for an fat old crit guy!

As a bonus, I was first out of the Norcal riders, so I should get max BAR point and move in to 1st overall, or close to it!
Nice finish!

Who held it solo? I guess I can check results. How about the start of that second lap when out of nowhere we suddenly had to sprint back on lol
Old 08-19-17, 09:48 PM
aaronmcd

"What pressure?"

90-100
I'm telling you, its the rims or rim/tire size combo. Not the pressure, tire or tube
Old 08-19-17, 09:49 PM
mattm
**** that

Nice finish!

Who held it solo? I guess I can check results. How about the start of that second lap when out of nowhere we suddenly had to sprint back on lol
Nobody I knew, not sure anyone knew who he was. Duncan I think. Seemed like a generic kit, didn't see any logos on it. Apparently he's super ****ing strong, and not one to let ride away.

Yeah that time we got gapped was one of the hardest parts of the race for me! I did get that on video and was just watching it, the gap appeared out of nowhere and grew quickly. Glad we closed it down or we'd have been done.

my race videos
Old 08-19-17, 09:51 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by tetonrider
@aaronmcd -- new frame or wheels that allow you to run wide tires may not help you with preventing pinch flats.

If you do that, you'll then want to lower pressure. Lowering pressure will make you more prone to pinch flats with tubes.

Tubeless....think carefully about that one.

Hitting square edges is a reality in mass start racing and is a good case for tubulars. There is a real reason why they are useful, though there are plenty of reasons people find not to use them. They're also safer (just a bit) in many scenarios; you can often find amazing deals on them, too.
What's wrong with tubeless vs tubular? (No experience with either.) It just seems to me (1) my rims are tubeless ready and (2) tubeless doesn't require a professional glue job and a boatload of labor when it does flat (as far as I know).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.