Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Multi-painted frame. Any ideas what it is??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 10:09 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked 2,343 Times in 1,384 Posts

Got this as an "Italian Bike"

No sign of a head badge and no sign of rivets where one sat.

Frame paint is really rough and at least two coats of paint present and on thick. These are a pinkish-red inside the headtube and on the shifter bosses (possible primer??), a blue and the greenish colour. The paint thickness suggests rattle can.

Seat stays have a deep fluting at the seat tube.

Can't measure seat tube inner diameter as caliper "vanished", but a 27.4 post wouldn't fit. This may be due to ovalizing or some such due to the way it's been treated. Seems doubtful it would take a sub 27.4 post, based on so much else below being Gipiemme Sprint.

There is a neat chain stay bridge, I like it's look

The frame lugs have a triangle embossed in them at various locations, even on the seat stay brake bridge. I thought these might be Gipiemme but unsure.

The bottom bracket has two oval cut outs and has been painted so much that only the number "48" is visible.

There is no visible name on the rear drop outs.

The headset is a Gipiemme Sprint as were the BB, the crankset, the pedals and the headset.
I believe that the forks are original, if only because they have Gipiemme drop outs. Forks are marked "54".

Shifters are Gipiemme Sprint 870 which are really Simplex.

The stem was an aftermarket two piece that had snapped at the join and the bars (Cosmos) were hanging on by the brake cable. The levers were Modolo

The front brake was Modolo Speedy and the rear was a Modolo Flash.

There was no Fd and the RD is a Shimano 600 Arabesque.

The stem was a two piece which had snapped off at the joint and the bars were hanging on the brake cables.

The wheelset is Mavic MA 40 rims with a Gipiemme hubset which is again Sprint. Too bad the wheelset wasn't tubular..... The freewheel was not a Gipiemme but I could only read "Made in Italy" due to severe rusting. However the interior of the hubs was remarkable as they were still brightly polished.

Q 1) Anybody know how to pronounce Gipiemme? Is it "G-P-em"??

Q 2) Anybody know this frame maker?? I get it needs a sand or bead blast but it seems good quality. I think it will clean up quite well.
Old 10-13-20, 10:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 734 Posts
Why is a sub 27.4 post doubtful? I've had 6 different Italian steel bikes, 26.8 for one and the rest were 27.0 and 27.2 and I've yet to have a steel bike bigger then 27.2. Don't really recognize anything about it but I'd suspect smaller post or poor repaint quality before ovalized seat tube.
Old 10-14-20, 07:19 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,333 Times in 787 Posts
Get a sheet of that abrasive cloth used for drywall sanders and wrap it around the tubes where any name/logo might be. With careful sanding you can take the paint off in layers. Rattle-can paintjobs that bad wouldn't suggest careful prep. I had a frame decaled Mercier - with a Mercier panto-ed fork - over a not-bad rattle-can job and it sanded down to reveal Lejeune; someone had arranged a marriage. Yes, it has two chainstay stops (*and* a loop for the cable outer, if using the upper stop), I don't know why.

After *my* rattle-can paintjob it got Mercier on the downtube again - this clearly is not original and yet in a way because it is someone else's lie I can shrug (gallicly, I hope) and say that if one cannot have originality then hints as to provenance will have to suffice:

Last edited by oneclick; 10-14-20 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 08:46 AM
WGB 
WGB

Russ Roth Velo base was down last night so I just assumed that Gipiemme wouldn't have built a smaller post than 27.4, in fact I thought they'd be bigger.

oneclick. I think there's something nice under that paint but because the frame is way too small for me to ride, it'll be low on the list for me to work on. Hoping someone recognizes it.

Still as how to pronounce Gipiemme....
Old 10-14-20, 09:37 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 795 Posts
it's "phonetic" for the Italian letters G.P.M. so: Ji -Pee- Emmay more or less in exaggerated 'Murican English. That's a short "i" sound in "Ji" but some Italian speakers would make it more like "Gee", not my Italian professor...
I also believe this has to be 27.2 if you're lucky to have DB tubing such as Columbus SL, could be 27.0 if SP and 26.8 if Aelle. The only vintage steel frames I know of that used 27.4 were built with Reynolds 753, which this (I would bet) is not.
Old 10-14-20, 03:08 PM
WGB 
WGB

Surely someone recognizes that bottom bracket shell and the chain stay bridge?

Might have to either get bead blasted or chemical stripped and see what lies beneath
Old 10-14-20, 04:07 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Russ Roth Velo base was down last night so I just assumed that Gipiemme wouldn't have built a smaller post than 27.4, in fact I thought they'd be bigger.

oneclick. I think there's something nice under that paint but because the frame is way too small for me to ride, it'll be low on the list for me to work on. Hoping someone recognizes it.

Still as how to pronounce Gipiemme....
Uhmm..... Yes, Gipiemme built smaller than 27.4 mm seatpost..... the aero seatppst on my 86 ALAN Record Carbonio is a 25mm dia. Gipiemme.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-14-20, 04:07 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by WGB
Surely someone recognizes that bottom bracket shell and the chain stay bridge?

Might have to either get bead blasted or chemical stripped and see what lies beneath
Sorry but both those are off-the-shelf items used by MANY (mostly Italian) builders so not good clues, The stay cap treatment is a "bit" distinctive but not enough to point to a name (for me, anyway). this is one where sometimes the super-sleuth MauriceMoss can find clues where nobody else sees them
Old 10-14-20, 05:21 PM
WGB 
WGB

Funny, I was googling bottom bracket shells with oval slots and an old thread on here of mine from last year popped up. It was https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tery-bike.html.
Back then it was a weird chrome bike that had stars embossed in it. The bottom bracket shell however was the same as this one and juvela recognized it as possibly a Fischer part. MauriceMoss thought that one was a Vetta contract made bike.
I'm wondering if the combination of the small triangles in the lugs and the slotted shell might be the key but then I also thought these might be Gipiemme lugs....

Last edited by WGB; 10-14-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 06:04 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 162 Posts
Hey oneclick, you might consider putting that Lejuene of yours back to correct...looks like you have nice willow leaf seat stay caps and that little rear derailleur cable guide at dropouts. Look on YouTube for Jim Langley's Lejuene restoration..
Old 10-14-20, 07:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by WGB
Funny, I was googling bottom bracket shells with oval slots and an old thread on here of mine from last year popped up. It was https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tery-bike.html.
Back then it was a weird chrome bike that had stars embossed in it. The bottom bracket shell however was the same as this one and juvela recognized it as possibly a Fischer part. MauriceMoss thought that one was a Vetta contract made bike.
I'm wondering if the combination of the small triangles in the lugs and the slotted shell might be the key but then I also thought these might be Gipiemme lugs....
I am not sure if GPM made LUGS, they made a lot of other frame bits but I don't recall ever seeing lugs in any catalog of theirs. These with the triangle cut-outs are again a very often-used lugset that probably was copied by more than one supplier and I don't know if there's any definite ID for it/them. The good news if even tho you may have another no-name Italian frame you still probably will find it's a fine riding bike
Old 10-16-20, 09:29 PM
WGB 
WGB

Just wanted to add that the seat post size would have been 26.8mm. Also it's been suggested that the lugs were Prugnat lugs and the frame would have been (possibly) a Miele. Never seen a Miele with these cut out lugs.
Old 10-17-20, 07:00 AM
dbalu 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I have the same chainstay bridge and seatpost clamp on a swiss made Reynolds 531 tube frame that I own, seatpost diameter is 27.2. Stripping down the paint to the metal might reveal some hints, Reynolds frames sometimes have the model marked on the tubes (seat-tube usually).

Cheers!