Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel Riders Rejoice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel Riders Rejoice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 04:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
$100 jerseys and $175-200 shorts? Looks like the brand is going for the hipster consumer. A hard pass from me. I'll just use a combo of roadie kit and mountain biker kit when on my "gravel bike". Kinda like by current "gravel" bikes - 650b converted 26er drop bar Ibis 26er trek drop bar and Warbird, the actual gravel bike. I just grab whichever is at the top of the drawer or hanging up.
Roadie and mtb clothing can cost the same.
I dont know why the hipster label is being used for this clothing specifically.

...I am mostly just tired of that term being overused as a lazy pejorative to describe many large groups or consumer behaviors.
Old 10-20-20, 05:06 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Roadie and mtb clothing can cost the same.
I dont know why the hipster label is being used for this clothing specifically.

...I am mostly just tired of that term being overused as a lazy pejorative to describe many large groups or consumer behaviors.
There is expensive clothing available for every niche.

Although I agree that the term hipster is broadly used to the point of becoming meaningless, when I looked at their advertising prior to reading the rest of the thread "hipster" is the term that crossed my mind. Their models certainly contribute to that image.
Old 10-20-20, 06:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The style of this gravel
line is clearly “lumbersexual” which is a type of hipster.
Old 10-20-20, 09:48 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
So you can blend in when you're riding through the flannel forest??
Duh! Its The Candy Cane Forest. Next time learn some elf culture before you bust out with those snappy zingers.
Likes For Bingod:
Old 10-20-20, 10:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
The style of this gravel
line is clearly “lumbersexual” which is a type of hipster.
Old 10-21-20, 06:17 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Ah, another "gravel is a pointless fad" thread.

1. Both road cyclists and mountain bikers have their own incredibly detailed and opaque-to-the-uninitiated dress codes. So do golfers, skiers, basketball players etc. I don't know why that's acceptable, but this is unacceptable. Of course it's completely reasonable to reject these (often ridiculous) "rules" of how to dress like a cyclist in a given discipline, but we should at least be consistent.

2. Cafe du Cycliste is a French luxury cycling brand. Their pricing is in line with the likes of other luxury cycling brands like Rapha and Assos. The pricing of this stuff is in line with the rest of CdC's collection. To those above complaining about the prices, have you seen what Kitsbow charges for a pair of baggies? Again, completely reasonable to not want to spend $250 on a jacket, but we should be consistent.

3. Many above seem to be objecting to the very idea of gravel cycling as a unique discipline. Around my house, there are lots of gravel roads, gravel trails etc. You can go hundreds of miles with no cars in some very nice areas, making gravel riding very enticing. These paths and roads are too much for my road bike but too little for a hard tail 29er. A 29ers would also be too slow and is not designed to be pedaled sitting down for 5 hours. A road bike is too skittish, aggressive and uncomfortable to ride over golf ball sized gravel for five hours. Hey look, they made a bike just for this purpose! I understand gravel has been a fad for the past couple of years and many people are buying gravel stuff because it's "cool" and not because they actually need it, but many, many people like me have a genuine use for gravel bikes. Also, given that bike brands already have micro-differentiation between "lightweight" vs. "aero" road bikes or "trail" vs. "enduro" mountain bikes, I don't understand why gravel bikes are uniquely objectionable. Again, we should be consistent.

Last edited by Hiro11; 10-21-20 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 10-21-20, 06:21 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Of course it could. It just so happened that it happened for me on gravel, and that the post about deerskin gloves made me think about perhaps getting something stronger than the suede palm ones I wore when I crashed.
You're all good; I was just having fun with the forum's tendency to get all agitated every time somebody mentions something about their favorite kinds of bikes.

The rule of the forum is: "Everyone else is doing it wrong!"
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-21-20, 06:26 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
You're all good; I was just having fun with the forum's tendency to get all agitated every time somebody mentions something about their favorite kinds of bikes.

The rule of the forum is: "Everyone else is doing it wrong!"
Haha, I see
Old 10-21-20, 06:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The style of this gravel line is clearly “lumbersexual” which is a type of hipster.
They have one checked jersey in two colorways - I don't see anything else remotely lumberjack-ish.
Old 10-21-20, 07:04 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
3. Many above seem to be objecting to the very idea of gravel cycling as a unique discipline. Around my house, there are lots of gravel roads, gravel trails etc. You can go hundreds of miles with no cars in some very nice areas, making gravel riding very enticing. These paths and roads are too much for my road bike but too little for a hard tail 29er. A 29ers would also be too slow and is not designed to be pedaled sitting down for 5 hours. A road bike too skittish, aggressive and uncomfortable to ride over golf ball sized gravel for five hours. Hey look, they made a bike just for this purpose! I understand gravel has been a fad for the past couple of years and many people are buying gravel stuff because it's "cool" and not because they actually need it, but many, many people like me have a genuine use for gravel bikes. Also, given that bike brands already have micro-differentiation between "lightweight" vs, "aero" road bikes or "trail" vs. "enduro" mountain bikes, I don't understand why gravel bikes are uniquely objectionable. Again, we should be consistent.
Excellent point. Currently my gravel bike is my only bike, it pulls road duty with a second wheelset, and does quite well. I can do 100 miles of gravel comfortably and at a good speed, and then still go do Tues Night Worlds with a quick wheelset swap. I wouldn't want to do a gravel century on a hardtail, nor would I want to do it on a road bike. A gravel bike is well suited to do both, even if it compromises a bit on the road side (I figure I'm prob giving up 30-40w to a full aero setup, even on road tires).

The other good thing about having a gravel bike that can pull double duty, is it makes my decision for my next road bike easier, it will be full aero/speed, no need for compromises since the gravel bike can pull road duty when I want something more comfortable.
Old 10-21-20, 07:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Ah, another "gravel is a pointless fad" thread.

1. Both road cyclists and mountain bikers have their own incredibly detailed and opaque-to-the-uninitiated dress codes. So do golfers, skiers, basketball players etc. I don't know why that's acceptable, but this is unacceptable. Of course it's completely reasonable to reject these (often ridiculous) "rules" of how to dress like a cyclists in a given discipline, but we should at least be consistent.

2. Cafe du Cycliste is a French luxury cycling brand. Their pricing is in line with the likes of other luxury cycling brands like Rapha and Assos. The pricing of this stuff is in line with the rest of CdC's collection. To those above complaining about the prices, have you seen what Kitsbow charges for a pair of baggies? Again, completely reasonable to not want to spend $250 on a jacket, but we should be consistent.

3. Many above seem to be objecting to the very idea of gravel cycling as a unique discipline. Around my house, there are lots of gravel roads, gravel trails etc. You can go hundreds of miles with no cars in some very nice areas, making gravel riding very enticing. These paths and roads are too much for my road bike but too little for a hard tail 29er. A 29ers would also be too slow and is not designed to be pedaled sitting down for 5 hours. A road bike too skittish, aggressive and uncomfortable to ride over golf ball sized gravel for five hours. Hey look, they made a bike just for this purpose! I understand gravel has been a fad for the past couple of years and many people are buying gravel stuff because it's "cool" and not because they actually need it, but many, many people like me have a genuine use for gravel bikes. Also, given that bike brands already have micro-differentiation between "lightweight" vs, "aero" road bikes or "trail" vs. "enduro" mountain bikes, I don't understand why gravel bikes are uniquely objectionable. Again, we should be consistent.
All 3 points are well said. Your last sentence is fantastic and needs to be a sticky atop every forum on the internet. Unfortunately, many in life and especially online, are anything but consistent.
Old 10-21-20, 07:10 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
(I figure I'm prob giving up 30-40w to a full aero setup, even on road tires).
To an aero road bike? There's no way you're giving up that much, not for a similar rider position.
Old 10-21-20, 07:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The gravel specific clothes may be more expensive, but think how much coin you'll save when you go all in and switch from expensive bike chain lube/waxing to chainsaw bar/chain lube. That's a definite positive.
Old 10-21-20, 07:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by WhyFi
They have one checked jersey in two colorways - I don't see anything else remotely lumberjack-ish.
Deerskin work gloves are not lumberberjack-ish?

But to be fair, I see they also have a 70’s teenager thing going with the 3/4 sleeves. All thats missing is the AC/DC or Blue Oyster Cult symbols.

Its like a boutique halloween store for cyclists. Maybe they wil throw in some Harry Potter stuff.
Old 10-21-20, 07:51 AM
WhyFi

Deerskin work gloves are not lumberberjack-ish?
Ah, so one jersey and one accessory makes the line lumbersexual - got it.
Old 10-21-20, 08:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

What I find absurd about this company’s attempt at “Gravel” clothing is not the idea that there might be some clothing trends among gravel riders, but rather that they get it so horribly wrong.

Yes, both MTB and road cycling (and dirt jumping and skateboarding) all have fashion trends (and a lot of it IS fashion) that seems odd or eye-rolling to the uninitiated. But I have never seen anyone riding a gravel bike or in a gravel race that dress like that.

I know some guys who ride bikes in flannel shirts as a warm layer, but they are actual flannel shirts, not ridiculous looking plaid jerseys trying to look like flannel shirts. And I have NEVER seen any one on road, gravel, or MTB dressed up like a teenager from the 70’s. (Well, not in the past 25 years at least)

If you are going to charge over $200 for a jersey designed for being a poser, at least get the poser part right.

I realize this contradicts my previous comment that this is the same as mtb and road fashion. I though about it more, and it is not.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-21-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-21-20, 08:08 AM
seypat

In all seriousness, deerskin/leather work gloves doesn't mean lumberjack. It just means a person grew up in an area where trees were cut down for lumber. In fact, the area I grew up in had specific type of leatherish work gloves available for handling square hay bales. It had a cinch on the top at the wrist so you could tighten the collar and keep the chaff out. The were referred to as "hay hauling gloves."

Last edited by seypat; 10-21-20 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-21-20, 08:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
The more I look at this "collection" the more it seems like a spoof or parody. I had to check to see if this place was even real. What moron would actually buy this stuff? $180 for a pair of baggie shorts? $220 for a jersey that is not even Merino wool?
The kind that would drool over over priced bicycle "stuff."
Old 10-21-20, 08:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah, so one jersey and one accessory makes the line lumbersexual - got it.
They are the premier, most expensive jersey they sell, and the one they lead with to advertise the Gravel line.

And they only offer 2 gloves.

They also have a lumberjack-themed head band.

So not all lumbersexual, but it is the main ingredient of the mix. With 70s awkward teenager as the second.

Surprised they don’t offer $85 tube-socks.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-21-20 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-21-20, 08:37 AM
seypat

They are the premier, most expensive jersey they sell, and the one they lead with to advertise the Gravel line.

So not all lumbersexual, but it is the main ingredient of the mix. With 70s awkward teenager as the second.

As a teen in the lat 70s-early 80s, those trends/fads were all the rage. I even had a red/black Elmer Fudd hat to be matchy matchy. Tube socks have made sort of a comeback in basketball. The basketball shorts have been trending slightly up the leg as well. Now that I think about it, the colored running shorts with contrasting piping have made a comeback as well, at least with the females.

Last edited by seypat; 10-21-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-21-20, 08:42 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
As a teen in the lat 70s-early 80s, those trends/fads were all the rage. I even had a red/black Elmer Fudd hat to be matchy matchy.
We must be about the same age. Weird to glance back at my old yearbooks and see all the flannel. Girls on the other hand were all wearing preppy sweaters. Total polar opposites.
Old 10-21-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

As you said before- from my persepctive, they missed the mark. It isnt that they have gravel specific clothing, it isnt that they have expensive clothing, its that the expensive gravel clothing isnt appealing to me.
I saw the Bad News Bears style shirts a couple months ago and cocked my head in confusion because it isnt appealing to me and I havent seen anyone out riding gravel wearing that sort of shirt. But maybe they do that sort of thing in France?...fashion is often location specific.

Sure I dont find the offerings they list to be appealing or beneficial to me. I went to that site a couple months ago and havent been back because its too expensive for me and doesnt have clothing I like.
But that is separate from the eye-rolling comments thru this thread about how one now has to spend hundreds to ride gravel or the other over-used comments about the discipline. Those are absurd comments and seeing them is just old.

For the record, I would rock their 3/4 sleeve Bad News Bears shirt if it cost $25. It is cut moderately close and has rear pockets, so I would use it for when I ride with my kids on road rides or singletrack. But at over 4x that, Ill stick with the generic drytech charity ride shirts I usually grab.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-21-20, 08:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As you said before- from my persepctive, they missed the mark. It isnt that they have gravel specific clothing, it isnt that they have expensive clothing, its that the expensive gravel clothing isnt appealing to me.
I saw the Bad News Bears style shirts a couple months ago and cocked my head in confusion because it isnt appealing to me and I havent seen anyone out riding gravel wearing that sort of shirt. But maybe they do that sort of thing in France?...fashion is often location specific.

Sure I dont find the offerings they list to be appealing or beneficial to me. I went to that site a couple months ago and havent been back because its too expensive for me and doesnt have clothing I like.
But that is separate from the eye-rolling comments thru this thread about how one now has to spend hundreds to ride gravel or the other over-used comments about the discipline. Those are absurd comments and seeing them is just old.

For the record, I would rock their 3/4 sleeve Bad News Bears shirt if it cost $25. It is cut moderately close and has rear pockets, so I would use it for when I ride with my kids on road rides or singletrack. But at over 4x that, Ill stick with the generic drytech charity ride shirts I usually grab.
Good point that it could be a french thing. Hey they are into Jerry Lewis, so I guess anything is possible.
Old 10-21-20, 09:13 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
We must be about the same age. Weird to glance back at my old yearbooks and see all the flannel. Girls on the other hand were all wearing preppy sweaters. Total polar opposites.
I'm 55 and grew up in north Texas. Watch the movies Dazed and Confused and Urban Cowboy. As much as I hate to say it, those movies pretty much nailed it. Well, at least for those genres/demographics.
Old 10-21-20, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Yawn. You're reaching. They sell two "jerseys," the checked one being slightly more expensive, and one glorified technical t-shirt.

You're awfully invested in the fashion choices of others, though... it could be argued that you protest too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.