Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Lessons Learned

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubeless Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 12:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I was actually just wondering why he didn’t use his tire plug in the first place, before putting in a tube.
Oh, absolutely - that should have been the first option, but I think that his patch question was more of a "moving forward from here..." kind of thing.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-29-20, 01:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
OP may be the target market for those air-less tires that were discussed in another recent thread.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-29-20, 01:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Yeah you guys are right about trying the plugs first, but had read that on sidewalls they weren’t that effective. But on the interface they may have worked. OK I’m an idiot.

Nother question. It appears that seating new, or repaired, tubeless is a PITA, even with a good floor pump unless you get the special ones whic pressurize to X bar. I have a compressor which I want to use rather than forking out more moola.

Is there a decent shrader to presta converter I can use with the shrader connection on my compressor? (I have looked at 6 threads on presta/shrader, but none have addressed this issue, unless you can point me to a specific one). TIA

Old 10-29-20, 01:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Yeah you guys are right about trying the plugs first, but had read that on sidewalls they weren’t that effective. But on the interface they may have worked. OK I’m an idiot.

Nother question. It appears that seating new, or repaired, tubeless is a PITA, even with a good floor pump unless you get the special ones whic pressurize to X bar. I have a compressor which I want to use rather than forking out more moola.

Is there a decent shrader to presta converter I can use with the shrader connection on my compressor? (I have looked at 6 threads on presta/shrader, but none have addressed this issue, unless you can point me to a specific one). TIA
I think you want to remove the presta valve core, then just use a fitting (on your compressor hose) that will fit on it well enough to get air into it. At least, that's what I do with my neighbor's compressor when I have a tire that won't go on with a floor pump.

Yep, fitting and removing a tubeless tire a few times can stretch the bead. Not always a problem, but it can be. That's another good reason to maintain good sealant and carry plugs.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-29-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 01:47 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rsbob

A tubeless tire should be easier to seat after the initial install. If it's not, I'd wipe down the rim tape and make sure the beads are slippery enough to pop up and in to place.

All that said, nothing wrong with using a compressor, and the adapters sitting in the cup next to the cash register at the LBS have always worked for me.
Old 10-29-20, 01:49 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
….and if you feel up to it, do a double wrap on the rim tape with the appropriate width tape. It makes seating those problem tires easier.
Old 10-29-20, 01:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
You can get a presta to Schrader adapter at any bike shop, cheap. However, you might want to give it a try with your regular floor pump. I'm able to seat 42mm tires with a regular pump, just remove the valve core to increase the volume and pump fast.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-01-20, 08:07 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I recently took a dive into modern biking, building up a new Cinelli superstar disc with fulcrum racing 3 wheels that require no rim tape. I put the new michelin power road tubeless tires on those wheels. In the unlikely event of a puncture that won't seal, I carry a tube and two co2 cartridges. With a tube installed, a big blast of air to seat the bead shouldn't be required. I carry nitrile gloves too. I may have to practice such an event, but I've never had a cut tire in 35 years, so it's unlikely. Riding mountain descents, pinch flats from rocks are common. Tubeless should stop that.
Old 11-01-20, 08:10 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I recently took a dive into modern biking, building up a new Cinelli superstar disc with fulcrum racing 3 wheels that require no rim tape. I put the new michelin power road tubeless tires on those wheels. In the unlikely event of a puncture that won't seal, I carry a tube and two co2 cartridges. With a tube installed, a big blast of air to seat the bead shouldn't be required. I carry nitrile gloves too. I may have to practice such an event, but I've never had a cut tire in 35 years, so it's unlikely. Riding mountain descents, pinch flats from rocks are common. Tubeless should stop that.
Maybe
Old 11-01-20, 08:24 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can get a presta to Schrader adapter at any bike shop, cheap. However, you might want to give it a try with your regular floor pump. I'm able to seat 42mm tires with a regular pump, just remove the valve core to increase the volume and pump fast.
I'll suggest: a tube-ass mount should be able w a floor pump even w presta inserted. Haven't tried your route-- often touted, on schrader.

Rationale: when your tube-ass wears and stretches-- your CO2 roadside will almost always pop your bead back.. if your loose it. Rim to tire interference is critical... given both components vary so much in measurement/fits. I have even run 3 wraps of tape w some rubber for this fit.. see tire jack.

One dude pointed it right on cuts.. not always will your seal-not get it done. Suggest: dump a decent dose of DRY glitter in BEFORE you ad seal-not. Spin and distribute.. then the seal-not addition.

JOB ONE---- if your can't re-inflate your flat tube-ass roadside minus bead.. your dipped.
Old 11-01-20, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

Woof. This is surely the first time that I've used the Ignore function simply because it was taking too much time trying to make heads or tails of a user's (intentionally?) incoherent posts.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-01-20, 10:04 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Woof. This is surely the first time that I've used the Ignore function simply because it was taking too much time trying to make heads or tails of a user's (intentionally?) incoherent posts.

LOL.. an intelligent reader can get it. Keyboard queen types.. aka the senior element w bibs.. not so much. Go to wallyworld and buy a life.
Old 11-02-20, 12:22 PM
Goldrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
A AAA card, they will drive you home.

Have the Uber app on your smart phone.
We've used AAA before, but now because of COVID forget it.
Old 11-02-20, 01:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Some people seem to write more for self-amusement than for conveying information to others. A personal journal might be a better place for that type of post.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-03-20, 07:28 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Exactly, if I still need to carry a tube and a pump then I'm not seeing the advantage over tubes with tire liners and higher end gravel tires.
Old 11-03-20, 07:32 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by boozergut
Exactly, if I still need to carry a tube and a pump then I'm not seeing the advantage over tubes with tire liners and higher end gravel tires.
Sigh.

If you don't understand the advantages, you've learned nothing about tubeless. Try reading up a bit.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-20, 07:38 AM
WhyFi

This thought pops up from tubeless naysayers with surprising frequency. I find it odd that y'all seem to think that carrying a tube and pump is the problem that needs to be solved, as opposed to, oh, flats. Tubeless has eliminated something like 95% of my flats over the last four or five years - I'd say that's a pretty solid advantage.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-03-20, 07:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Sigh.

If you don't understand the advantages, you've learned nothing about tubeless. Try reading up a bit.
I have, and tubeless tires don't handle the kind of pressures that I run, very well at all. And the attitude alone of people who are die-hard tubeless advocates is enough to turn anyone off. When they have to result to insults, the logical inference is that this is due to defensiveness. But defensiveness about what? The fact that tubeless can't handle high pressures well?

I remain unconvinced.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-03-20, 07:46 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I have purchased "tubeless ready" gravel tires, but I still feel like we are in the Windows 97 era of tubeless technology.
Old 11-03-20, 07:59 AM
Koyote

Sigh.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have, and tubeless tires don't handle the kind of pressures that I run, very well at all. And the attitude alone of people who are die-hard tubeless advocates is enough to turn anyone off. When they have to result to insults, the logical inference is that this is due to defensiveness. But defensiveness about what? The fact that tubeless can't handle high pressures well?

I remain unconvinced.
@Lemond1985 : You realize that I wasn't responding to you, right?

The "attitude" that you mentioned is hard to suppress, when so many posters deride something that they clearly don't understand. To wit: if you think the only advantage of tubeless tires is that they may allow you to ride without a spare tube, then you really don't understand tubeless.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-20, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have, and tubeless tires don't handle the kind of pressures that I run, very well at all.
I've run tubeless on 25mm tires at 105psi (I was heavier at the time) and never had a puncture fail to seal on those tires, even a double puncture from a large construction staple that I had to pry out with pocket knife. Much of the "tubeless doesn't work at road pressure" stems from early road adopters thinking that Stan's, which works great at MTB pressures, should also work at road pressure... but it just doesn't.
Old 11-03-20, 10:30 AM
tomato coupe

It's not solely about the advantages; it's about weighing the advantages against the disadvantages.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-03-20, 10:38 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's not solely about the advantages; it's about weighing the advantages against the disadvantages.
Obviously, but if you don't know what the advantages are in the first place, then it's kind of hard to weigh them, no?
Old 11-03-20, 10:45 AM
tomato coupe

Obviously, but if you don't know what the advantages are in the first place, then it's kind of hard to weigh them, no?
Yes, that's true. It seems, however, that proponents gloss over the disadvantages while detractors gloss over the advantages. So, detractors could just as easily claim "if you don't know the disadvantages, it's kind of hard to weigh them."
Old 11-03-20, 10:45 AM
Koyote

Exactly.

On bf, when people express dislike for tubeless tires and Di2, they usually simultaneously demonstrate that they don't even understand the technologies.

There's no law against ignorance. But it shouldn't be spread around so casually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.