Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 10-26-20, 03:11 AM
Robmac123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
I love the bags! Where did you get that frame bag from?
Yes, that’s a great fit. I found one pretty close but not as good as that.
Old 10-29-20, 01:43 AM
Bym

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
https://www.aliexpress.com/ buying Rhinowak 24$
Likes For Bym:
Old 10-29-20, 03:18 PM
Robmac123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link.
Does the bike still fold ok, or is the bag so wide that you have to remove it before folding ?
Thanks
Old 11-03-20, 09:13 PM
paulwongkwan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried Rhinowak, it does not fold well.
Decathlon Frame bag 300 can fold well
Old 11-04-20, 03:31 AM
Robmac123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulwongkwan
I tried Rhinowak, it does not fold well.
Decathlon Frame bag 300 can fold well
Thanks Paul, I’ll look at the Decathlon 300 bag.
I have a Rockbros 1.5l that is a well made tough bag that’s fits quite well, but it’s a little wide. The bike folds ok, it definitely won’t roll along with the bag installed. Hoping to find something thinner.
Old 11-05-20, 04:12 AM
paulwongkwan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robmac123
Thanks Paul, I’ll look at the Decathlon 300 bag.
I have a Rockbros 1.5l that is a well made tough bag that’s fits quite well, but it’s a little wide. The bike folds ok, it definitely won’t roll along with the bag installed. Hoping to find something thinner.
I think decathlon one had same width as rockbrosRhine one is even wider
Likes For paulwongkwan:
Old 11-08-20, 09:38 PM
Bym

Old 11-15-20, 05:36 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Owner reviews?

I've looked! unfortunately (for me) I've been able to locate online only a few, short reviews. I'm interested in the Helix because it appears to have a relatively compact folded size with relatively light weight and "reasonable" diameter wheels. It also appeals to my sense of engineering aesthetics. The problem is that I'm old (73 ) with an old man's neck which requires me to seek out a relatively upright riding position and I'm wondering how the geometry of the Helix might fit my needs with or without bar +/or stem replacement (if such is even feasible). All thoughts appreciated!
Old 11-16-20, 03:30 AM
Robmac123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will depend a lot on your height. I’m about 5’11” and I like my seat high so my legs are well stretched out due to knee issues. I lean forward a little, but it’s still comfortable for me. I’m definitely not perfectly upright. If my wife rides it her riding position is much more upright, but she’s 5’5” and has the saddle pretty low. Folding bikes I’ve had before the handlebar tube was telescopic and I could get the bars high enough to give me an upright position even with the seat fairly high. I had a cheapo Citizen 20” bike that had a big comfy seat and a huge amount of adjustment in the bars. That bike was like riding an armchair, but it made for a very inefficient and slow ride.

With Helix you don’t have that telescoping adjustment so the stem height is fixed. You should be able to change the stem for one with extra rise, it doesn’t look to be part of the securing mechanism, you’d just have to remove the knob on the top and it should come right off. The handlebar tube that the stem clamps onto seems to be 1-1/8”/28.6mm which I’m pretty sure is a fairly standard size. The problem with adding rise in the stem is that it normally adds reach/effective toptube length also, so you can end up back where you started in terms of being upright.
Adding riser bars is another way to get a more upright position. I have some on mine. They only added about 2” of rise but that made a big difference to me. I have them raked slightly back towards me also, so it may have reduced the effective top tube length by an inch as well as adding 2” to the height. Bars with that extra rise didn’t affect the folded size, but a riser stem would likely add to the width of the folded bike a little, if that matters to you, as it will stick out further as well as up. If you added much more rise I think you’d have to swap out the brake/gear cables for longer. If I remember when I fitted mine I thought that was around about the limit for the cables.

I would look a the helix promotional video and the few other reviews on YouTube to get an idea of the riding position. If you pause it with a side on view you get a pretty decent idea, even though you’re guessing the riders height.
if you want any measurements I’m happy to take them for you.
Old 11-16-20, 04:31 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
I agree that l will depend of your height. Helix frame is relatively short and won't fit well for tall people.

I think you should also consider the comfort.

And I doubt that Helix is a comfortable bike.
It has no suspension at all, the lefty fork will be very stiff, the rear triangle will also be stiff and the tires are relatively narrow+ high pressure (no possibility to mount balloon tires like the Big Apple).

I think that even if it has smaller wheels, a Birdy will better fit your needs: full suspension+balloon tire, fully adjustable seatpost and stem (in height + two types with two different tilt to be chosen depending of your height).
Old 11-16-20, 02:17 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It will depend a lot on your height. I’m about 5’11” and I like my seat high so my legs are well stretched out due to knee issues. I lean forward a little, but it’s still comfortable for me. I’m definitely not perfectly upright. If my wife rides it her riding position is much more upright, but she’s 5’5” and has the saddle pretty low. Folding bikes I’ve had before the handlebar tube was telescopic and I could get the bars high enough to give me an upright position even with the seat fairly high. I had a cheapo Citizen 20” bike that had a big comfy seat and a huge amount of adjustment in the bars. That bike was like riding an armchair, but it made for a very inefficient and slow ride.

With Helix you don’t have that telescoping adjustment so the stem height is fixed. You should be able to change the stem for one with extra rise, it doesn’t look to be part of the securing mechanism, you’d just have to remove the knob on the top and it should come right off. The handlebar tube that the stem clamps onto seems to be 1-1/8”/28.6mm which I’m pretty sure is a fairly standard size. The problem with adding rise in the stem is that it normally adds reach/effective toptube length also, so you can end up back where you started in terms of being upright.
Adding riser bars is another way to get a more upright position. I have some on mine. They only added about 2” of rise but that made a big difference to me. I have them raked slightly back towards me also, so it may have reduced the effective top tube length by an inch as well as adding 2” to the height. Bars with that extra rise didn’t affect the folded size, but a riser stem would likely add to the width of the folded bike a little, if that matters to you, as it will stick out further as well as up. If you added much more rise I think you’d have to swap out the brake/gear cables for longer. If I remember when I fitted mine I thought that was around about the limit for the cables.

I would look a the helix promotional video and the few other reviews on YouTube to get an idea of the riding position. If you pause it with a side on view you get a pretty decent idea, even though you’re guessing the riders height.
This has been a very helpful response! You've answered all of my fit questions as capably and completely as anyone might without actually providing me with an opportunity to physically play with the bike. I infer from your apparent enthusiasm that you're pleased with the bike.

Thank you!
Old 11-16-20, 02:30 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I agree that l will depend of your height. Helix frame is relatively short and won't fit well for tall people.

I think you should also consider the comfort.

And I doubt that Helix is a comfortable bike.
It has no suspension at all, the lefty fork will be very stiff, the rear triangle will also be stiff and the tires are relatively narrow+ high pressure (no possibility to mount balloon tires like the Big Apple).

I think that even if it has smaller wheels, a Birdy will better fit your needs: full suspension+balloon tire, fully adjustable seatpost and stem (in height + two types with two different tilt to be chosen depending of your height).
I had an opportunity to test ride a Birdy 3 with the "comfort stem" about 18 months ago. I agree with everything that you've written about its fit and comfort. By the time I came to the point of finalizing a purchase decision, unfortunately, my local bike store owner had decided to discontinue selling+servicing them. That, and the fact that loading the somewhat awkward shape of the folded Birdy package into my car proved to be difficult for me ("bad back" limitations due to having had most of my vertebrae fused) has caused me to back off. (If I were to change my mind I do know how to purchase the Birdy from New York and Singapore, but that would not alleviate my other concerns.)

Still, I appreciate very much your comments.
Old 11-16-20, 04:15 PM
Jipe

Yes, its true that the folded shape of the Birdy cannot compete against the folded shape of the Brompton for instance. Folding the Birdy is also not as easy as folding a Brompton.

But I think that with its full suspension + balloon tires, it is the most comfortable folder on the market.
Old 11-16-20, 04:20 PM
Robmac123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkatz
This has been a very helpful response! You've answered all of my fit questions as capably and completely as anyone might without actually providing me with an opportunity to physically play with the bike. I infer from your apparent enthusiasm that you're pleased with the bike.

Thank you!
Thank you. I do try :-)
Yes, I’m very pleased with mine. Initially I did find it very rigid and bordering on uncomfortable. To some degree it was probably just more noticeable to me by comparison, as I was previously riding a borrowed Townie 21 speed bike which is all about comfort, suspension forks, seat post and very upright riding position. If you’re used to a commuter or road type of bike it’s likely not significantly different.
With the riser bars, a softer padded seat and a little less air in the tires it’s significantly improved. There’s really not much more you can do in terms of comfort as it doesn’t seem possible to add wider tires or any form of suspension, unless anyone makes a suspension seat post that was long enough and the right diameter.
It’s fair to say the bike it pretty rigid. It’s never going to be a beach cruiser, but it’s pretty comfortable as long as the surface is fairly smooth. I just ride for pleasure, nothing competitive or hardcore at all. I can cover decent distances without too much pedaling effort and without being uncomfortable. It’s about the right compromise of speed and comfort for me regardless of being a folder. The ability to fold it and throw it in the trunk of the car or take it with me pretty much anywhere is the icing on the cake.
Old 11-16-20, 04:36 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you. I do try :-)
The ability to fold it and throw it in the trunk of the car or take it with me pretty much anywhere is the icing on the cake.

That's my main requirement for a folder!
Likes For mkatz:
Old 11-20-20, 07:13 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
So we have arrived at a definition of why a folder: it takes us pretty much everywhere, and when it cannot then we can take it instead.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 11-21-20, 12:22 AM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bym

Looking at the tires pictured, I'm curious. Do they really fit the Helix? (tire clearance depicted looks awfully tight.)
Old 11-21-20, 10:23 PM
Bym

24x1.5

Vee 24 x 1.5 tires.
Some interference occurs when folding.
Due to the narrow helix frame, it is difficult to install various tires.

It would have been nice if there was some space in the spiral frame

Carbon parts exchange for light weight

Last edited by Bym; 11-21-20 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-22-20, 03:37 AM
Jipe

I do not like carbon seatpost on a folder because the seatpost must be inserted/extracted and decompressed/compressed at each fold unfold.

Carbon doesn't like to be compressed/decompressed too often and dirt on the seatpost make scratches at each fold.
Old 11-22-20, 10:39 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've looked! unfortunately (for me) I've been able to locate online only a few, short reviews. I'm interested in the Helix because it appears to have a relatively compact folded size with relatively light weight and "reasonable" diameter wheels. It also appeals to my sense of engineering aesthetics. The problem is that I'm old (73 ) with an old man's neck which requires me to seek out a relatively upright riding position and I'm wondering how the geometry of the Helix might fit my needs with or without bar +/or stem replacement (if such is even feasible). All thoughts appreciated!

I am the same height as Robomac123. I have both the Helix and the Brompton. The Helix is stiffer than my Brompton; then again, I'd say my Brompton is not stiff enough, particularly in the stem/handlebar (too much flex). The Helix is still fairly comfortable. The only change I would make would be to install a slightly longer handlebar stem extension to give me maybe an additional inch of horizontal compliance so that the "cockpit" feels a bit more roomy. I imagine you could install a more steeply angled one to give you a more upright riding position.

I don't know if I would say the Helix is the best upright riding folder; certainly, it is probably one of the best all around folders. One thing I like to emphasize is that ride comfort also includes handling, which doesn't get mentioned a lot. Because it is a 24 inch bike, it rides somewhere between my Brompton (16") and my full size 29" Rivendell. So, not as twitchy as the Brompton - but still responsive for urban riding - but not as sikly smooth as my big bike for long hauls. Ultimately, all folding bikes are exercises in compromises - pick the one that best one that compromises towards your preferences, or compromises the least in your mind if you want to view the situation in the negative. The fact that I can fold a 24" wheeled bike with an IGH, disc brakes, and strong frame... and put in the van beside my kids bikes, bike trailer, grocery bins full of non-grocery items, emergency supplies, bags of stuff needed for small kids (are you sure you're going to play with ALL this stuff? Yes dad! Uh-huh) is of course the whole point of a folder. I'm not looking ride a multiday grand tour with my folder (although some do): I'm looking for a good ride on most outings that last a day or less. Or the short trip where I have the peace of mind to take it inside and stow it away instead of leaving it locked up outside in front of thieving eyes.
Old 11-23-20, 03:53 AM
Jipe

How comfortable is Helix on bad road like cobbles vs. the Brompton ?

For the handling, wheel size isn't the criterion that define it.

My Birdy with exactly the same wheel size as my Brompton (this is what I have after having changed the original Birdy wheels for ETRTO349 wheels + 35mm wide tires) is not twitchy like the Brompton.
Old 11-23-20, 08:45 PM
Bym

Small change

Old 12-12-20, 03:56 PM
henry.yau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is interested in selling their kickstarter spot, could you please PM me?

Cheers
Old 01-14-21, 08:17 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Robmac, If I'm lucky , I will be able to place an order for a helix on Monday, when an order placement opportunity is scheduled to arise (and remain open for 60-90 seconds...). I'm 5'5 and am likely to install a riser bar, as per your suggestion. Noting your experience with a 2" rise (and, I think, some measure of added sweep), I wonder if you remember the name, model, source (and, perhaps, sweep) of your bar?
Old 01-15-21, 02:27 AM
Robmac123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robmac, If I'm lucky , I will be able to place an order for a helix on Monday, when an order placement opportunity is scheduled to arise (and remain open for 60-90 seconds...). I'm 5'5 and am likely to install a riser bar, as per your suggestion. Noting your experience with a 2" rise (and, I think, some measure of added sweep), I wonder if you remember the name, model, source (and, perhaps, sweep) of your bar?
Hi,
No, I’m sorry, I can’t help with the info on the bars. I had several sets left over from previous folding bikes and other projects and I
‘m pretty sure I used a set that I already had. I don’t have the bike with me to check for a brand or model on the bars, and likely won’t be home for several weeks. I don’t think the bars had much or any sweep, but I shortened the reach just by rotating them in the stem slightly towards me. It only brought the bars maybe 3/4” towards me, but in combination with the added rise the overall effect on the riding position feels much more significant.
Good luck with your order slot 🤞🏻

Last edited by Robmac123; 01-15-21 at 02:31 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.