Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First time trying tubeless plug, is this correct?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 11:14 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts

Decided I’d start to carry these with me for those just in case situations where the sealant may not work. In 4 full years it’s happened to me twice both within the last year which is why I must be thinking about it.

i realize that normally this would be done on a freshly punctured tire still mounted to the rim and presumably with some air still in the tire.

this is a brand new Schwalbe with a cut that seems pretty small. It didn’t seal (at the time). I put this plug in for practice but I’m hoping that I can use the tire again. Does this look right? The plug was incredibly sticky (very hot in the garage) and would not easily come off the tool. In fact I kept pushing it through the hole and had to sort of remove from the tool with my hand pushing the plug down so that it would not come out of the hole.

Do I ride on it like this or cut off the protruding exterior part?

thanks as always!

Old 08-15-20, 11:26 AM
b5s4mike
lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I only use bacon strips to get home when sealant won't do the job. Once home and able to dismount the tire I use Hutchinson tubeless patch kits. I don't think I would want to head out on a long ride with the bacon strip hanging out if I can avoid it.

*Edit- the strip looks like its installed correctly but I would want more in the inside of the tire so it doesn't work its way out
Likes For b5s4mike:
Old 08-15-20, 11:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
When and if you run out of those, I don't hesitate to recommend Dynaplugs. No guesswork as to whether they've engaged, and they'll last the life of the tire.
Old 08-15-20, 11:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^^ Ya.
If it was a low pressure MTB tire I would ride it. But looks like a High pressure road tire, I would buy a new tire. I think you could cut off most of the outside part but I wouldn't ride it myself.
Old 08-15-20, 11:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

No need to replace a tire with a hole/cut that small. I've had Dynaplugs go ~3k miles (getting a cut on like the 2nd or 3rd ride on a new tire) and other tires go to their treadwear indicators with numerous Rema patches on the inside. If cords aren't cut (meaning the hole isn't getting any bigger) the tire is good to go IME.
Old 08-15-20, 02:59 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
No need to replace a tire with a hole/cut that small. I've had Dynaplugs go ~3k miles (getting a cut on like the 2nd or 3rd ride on a new tire) and other tires go to their treadwear indicators with numerous Rema patches on the inside. If cords aren't cut (meaning the hole isn't getting any bigger) the tire is good to go IME.
thanks! I will order some dyna plugs. These were from Lezyn not sure but based on thickness I would t be surprised if they are mtb specific
Old 08-16-20, 08:45 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I recently used a DynaPlug to fix a flat, and have had no problems. Some of the plug does stick out a little bit, but since it does not touch the road surface it has not been a problem. I have left it as it is.
Old 08-16-20, 11:51 PM
thecycleclinic
Shop owner

Bikes: alot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 08-16-20, 11:52 PM
thecycleclinic
Shop owner

Bikes: alot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
two problems here

First have you plugged from the inside of the tyre? Also you have more plug outside the tyre than inside. That a plug thag could blow out.
​​
second you leave the tyre in seated. Your not meant to remove the tyre to plug it.

never remove your tyre unless your planning to replace it. You have added work here for no gain.

Last edited by thecycleclinic; 08-16-20 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 07:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
FWIW, for a cut too big to seal with OS and with that type of bacon strip plug, I've found that they'll push out sooner rather than later. What I've done is tie the strip in a knot, not always easy with how sticky it is, and then shove it in so that the knot is on the inside of the carcass. I tried leaving a knotted plug in a ~5mm / 1/4" cut permanently, but it ended up blowing out a few hundred miles later, so I'll probably treat them as a get-me-home fix and then internally patch (assuming that there's not enough casing damage to warrant tossing the tire).

If Dynaplugs are more likely to stay put in that type of cut, I'm all ears - that would be a good reason to for me to switch.
Old 08-17-20, 11:21 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
FWIW, for a cut too big to seal with OS and with that type of bacon strip plug, I've found that they'll push out sooner rather than later. What I've done is tie the strip in a knot, not always easy with how sticky it is, and then shove it in so that the knot is on the inside of the carcass. I tried leaving a knotted plug in a ~5mm / 1/4" cut permanently, but it ended up blowing out a few hundred miles later, so I'll probably treat them as a get-me-home fix and then internally patch (assuming that there's not enough casing damage to warrant tossing the tire).

If Dynaplugs are more likely to stay put in that type of cut, I'm all ears - that would be a good reason to for me to switch.
Mine have stayed in for over 1,500 km after which I tossed the tire as it was its time. I always carry a small pocket knife to trim the end.
Old 08-17-20, 11:47 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by velopig
Mine have stayed in for over 1,500 km after which I tossed the tire as it was its time. I always carry a small pocket knife to trim the end.
Dynaplugs?
Old 08-17-20, 11:53 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Dynaplugs?
Yup. Use Dyaplug Racer. Used the big plug as well once due to a large cut and it sealed enough for the 45km to get home. Schwalbe G One Speeds 30 mm
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-17-20, 05:37 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by thecycleclinic
two problems here

First have you plugged from the inside of the tyre? Also you have more plug outside the tyre than inside. That a plug thag could blow out.
​​
second you leave the tyre in seated. Your not meant to remove the tyre to plug it.

never remove your tyre unless your planning to replace it. You have added work here for no gain.
Understood and thanks. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I knew that normally the plug would go onto a mounted tire, this was more for practice but good to know that it's too short on the inside. FWIW I installed it from the outside as would traditionally be done but since this was a first I had no idea how much should go in.

Awesome, good call as always thanks! So what internal patch would you recommend? The tire is obviously just waiting for its next use. But I doubt there were even a few hundred miles on it when this happened, so if I can have a reliable patch and get a normal life out of this tire I would be incredible happy.

Originally Posted by velopig
Yup. Use Dyaplug Racer. Used the big plug as well once due to a large cut and it sealed enough for the 45km to get home. Schwalbe G One Speeds 30 mm
I will definitely get those once done with these Lezyn ones. Hopefully I won't have to use them for a while but happy to be carrying them in the short term..
Old 08-17-20, 05:44 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by robbyville
Awesome, good call as always thanks! So what internal patch would you recommend? The tire is obviously just waiting for its next use. But I doubt there were even a few hundred miles on it when this happened, so if I can have a reliable patch and get a normal life out of this tire I would be incredible happy.
I've only ever done it once and it was just the normal tube patch and vulcanizing fluid from the Park patch kit. I ended up wearing that tire down to the cords, so it seems to have worked fine.
Old 08-17-20, 07:23 PM
robbyville

I've only ever done it once and it was just the normal tube patch and vulcanizing fluid from the Park patch kit. I ended up wearing that tire down to the cords, so it seems to have worked fine.
Well there’s a reason to press the now defunct “easy” button. Thanks!
Old 08-17-20, 09:30 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
When and if you run out of those, I don't hesitate to recommend Dynaplugs. No guesswork as to whether they've engaged, and they'll last the life of the tire.
+1 for dynaplug. expensive but totally worth it.
Old 08-18-20, 11:37 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Honestly, I would patch that from the inside, not put a plug in it. I always patch mine after I get home with a plug.
Old 08-18-20, 11:39 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, if the tire is already off (and cleaned, from the looks of it,) might as well patch it.
Old 08-19-20, 08:10 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by jadocs
Honestly, I would patch that from the inside, not put a plug in it. I always patch mine after I get home with a plug.
Yeah, if the tire is already off (and cleaned, from the looks of it,) might as well patch it.
makes total sense thanks so much. I didn’t realize that the plugs were more a roadside fix (which is what I was wanting in the first place), and that I could patch from the inside after.

funnily enough, I just threw away a Tube patch kit that I found in my tool box that must have been a decade old. I haven’t patched a tube in probably 25 years opting for the easy way out and just replacing with new.

Going to pick up a patch kit today!
Old 08-19-20, 09:59 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Hutchinson sells a patch kit that is meant specifically for sidewall cuts and the like - was thinking of getting a set of those, but if a regular tube patch works, i'm on the mofo.
Old 08-19-20, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Hutchinson sells a patch kit that is meant specifically for sidewall cuts and the like - was thinking of getting a set of those, but if a regular tube patch works, i'm on the mofo.
There wasn't any bulge at the cut, so I assumed that anything that made it airtight (or close enough for the sealant to finish it off) would be fine.

That and I had 'em on hand and couldn't be bothered to seek out another solution.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-19-20, 12:09 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
There wasn't any bulge at the cut, so I assumed that anything that made it airtight (or close enough for the sealant to finish it off) would be fine.
Ah, you patched on the outside? I was thinking of patching on the inside - but if outside works, so much the better, I guess. I assume this is sidewall only - cant imagine a patch staying on the tread.
Old 08-19-20, 12:22 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Ah, you patched on the outside? I was thinking of patching on the inside - but if outside works, so much the better, I guess. I assume this is sidewall only - cant imagine a patch staying on the tread.

No, no - I patched the inside.
Likes For WhyFi: