Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

This is not fair - parked motor vehicle

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

This is not fair - parked motor vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 07:13 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Those guys are just doing their job, trying to make a living. It's annoying but not enough to make their life harder over it.

On the Greenway I see everything from gasoline motor carts to large utility trucks. Emergency service vehicles now and again. Tow trucks, police cars. I just go around with a wave and good morning, or just wait in the case of EMS, and things go easier for all of us.
Old 09-25-17, 08:41 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
I was riding home, I was on a public path (not private land) that is part of the public road it parallels, the path is clearly marked in several areas "Pedestrians and Bicycles Only", and I see this:

How is this even legal?

Motorists don't want us on their roads, but when we are provided a suitable alternative, they want to take that for themselves too? Not cool. I'm debating on whether it's worth it to call the police non-emergency number. That and the business the truck belongs to.
Rachel,

Sadly, I encounter that far too often here as well. Only instead of parking on MUPs, but I have encountered people, usually lawn care crews, parked in bike lanes.

I encountered a driver from AAA parked in a bike lane and when I pointed out that he was parked in a bike lane he tells me to shut up. The irony is that directly across the street from where he was parked was designated on street parking. . .
Old 09-25-17, 08:50 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
On my way to work this morning (in a car), someone blocked off an entire lane of a well traversed road to park trucks and equipment to dig up a sidewalk. I went around it, and that was that. All this spring the power company had heavy equipment parked in random locations on my regular trail, as they were replacing towers for the high voltage transmission lines that roughly parallel it in many places. Big deal.

No, people are not regularly allowed to drive on that path. Yes, unfortunately, delivery and utility trucks block all sorts of routes, both for cycles and motorists. It is part of living in society, and generally a legal maneuver. I can't telly what they are doing, but as it appears it could be some sort of concrete contractor, they may well have needed to be there.
I don't know about what the law is there in Michigan, but at least here in the Bay Area if not the State of Florida in order for someone to park in the roadway they have to apply for a permit. No permit, then it is NOT legal to park so as to block the the roadway.
Old 09-25-17, 10:22 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
At least a few times a week, I approach a vehicle stopped in the clearly marked bike lane. Sometimes hazards on, sometimes just brake lights. Ten times out of ten, it's someone talking on their cellphone. So sure, they're stopped in the bike lane-- but they're also not driving while on the phone. A stationary vehicle poses an exceptionally low risk to a bicycle.

The truck in the top photo is bristling with wheelbarrows, and from the shadow the lift gate appears to be down. Work trucks gon' work.
While I agree with you that it was a good thing that they had pulled over to use their cell phone instead of continuing to drive and use it. It was out of a sense of entitlement that they choose to park in the bike lane. As sadly it seems like the vast majority of motorists do not have the slightest bit of respect for either cyclists or pedestrians. This is reflected in the fact that so many motorists will stop so that they are blocking the sidewalk or MUP when pulling out of a driveway. And that when they pull up to an intersection that instead of stopping behind the stop line they'll pull up and stop in the crosswalk and then look at pedestrians as if they're the one's who are doing something wrong for not wanting to cross in front of their car.

Also think about most of the commercials for cars. What do they emphasis the most? Answer SPEED, I mean think about the typical Mazda commercial. And what is their "catch phrase?" It's "zoom, zoom." Then we have insurance commercials like "The General," and "Good2Go," that mock and poke fun at people who for whatever reason do not drive. One shows a woman who talks about how her shift is over, but her day isn't over, because she has to take the subway, and the bus and then I think walk home. There's another with a woman with children who is complaining about having to walk to the grocery store with her children. Then there's the one where the office worker rode a bike to work, and his co-worker shows him "The General's" web site. They end the commercial with the co-worker saying, "Now can we lose the bike and put on some pants."

In this country we are WAY too dependent on privately owned automobiles. Cities, counties and states NEED to invest MORE money in public transportation. Making the routes so that they are convent for the average person to use, as well as making the fare so that it is affordable for the average person to use.

I spend three days a week at one of the two local VA facilities. It takes three buses one-way for me to get to the VA (if I was to take the bus), regular fare ONE-WAY is $2.25. That's $6.75 for the three buses, just one-way. And that's $13.50 round trip and that is for just ONE day. For three days, it's $40.50 and for the month of just going to and from the VA it would cost, figuring an average of four weeks per month $162.00.

My local bus system used to have a daily pass, but looking at their web site it looks as if that might have been discontinued in favor of a three day pass which costs, $18.00, but if I am not mistaken it is only good for three days in a row of unlimited rides. Then we have a seven day pass that costs $25.00, but again if I am not mistaken it is only good for seven days in a row and not any seven days. The best option for someone in my position would be the 31-day unlimited pass, which costs $35.00. Here in the Tampa Bay area both HARTline and PSTA have an agreement, and they have an additional bus pass that is valid on both sides of the bay, but it costs $85.00. It should not cost more than twice a normal monthly pass to have one that is valid on both sides of the bay. But the "catch" is that the express bus that runs between both counties does not run on the weekend.

Sadly, far too many people treat both having a drivers license and driving a car as some sort of "god given right," and NOT the privilege that it is that can be revoked for any reason. And sadly, it is NOT revoked often enough.

Maybe IF more people permanently lost their drivers license it would finally sink in that owning one and driving a car is a privilege and NOT a "right."
Old 09-25-17, 10:24 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
"Motorists don't want us on their roads..."

Their roads?
The real irony is that not only do they not want us on "their" roads, but when they decide to become a pedestrian they all of a sudden do not want us on "their" sidewalk/MUP either. So we're "d@amed if we do, and d@med if we don't."
Old 09-25-17, 10:32 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They were there cutting grass around nearby homes. Seriously, it's a private landscaping company, and the guys were about 20 feet away with weed whackers. Not a government work crew, not cutting the grass in public area for ease in visibility, they were private contractors cutting around the homes there. That's such an oh god emergency to justify the vehicle there.

And if the path says "Pedestrians and Bicycles Only" then that means only. It's the same sort of thing as someone able-bodied using the handicap stall when all the rest are open. It's just plain wrong, it's just plain a**holeness, and just like the able-bodied using handicap facilities, I'm going to say something. It's not right and it breaks the rules.

And frankly I don't understand the mindset of "oh, blocking the entire thing isn't a big deal". I wasn't the only one affected, there's little kids that I doubt have hit 2nd grade using that path daily that would have to scoot around, same with the mothers that have jogging strollers, and at least one person in a wheelchair I've seen a few times. It's a big deal because they were lazy and they didn't belong on that path. And notice that they didn't even leave a driver in case it needed to be moved? It's there for the long term.
Rachel,

I've run into the same thing with private lawn care crews. The one that I spoke said "explained" it as saying that their trucks leak oil, and whatnot and that they do not want to make a mess in their customer's driveways. I guess it never occurred to him that if their trucks are leaking and they're now parked in the bike lane that they are creating a hazard for every cyclist that is going to be using that bike lane.

And do not even get me started about all of the morons who think that it is okay to jog, walk, roller skate/blade, run, skateboard in the bike lane.
Old 09-25-17, 10:44 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
The real irony is that not only do they not want us on "their" roads, but when they decide to become a pedestrian they all of a sudden do not want us on "their" sidewalk/MUP either. So we're "d@amed if we do, and d@med if we don't."
If anyone thinks they get no respect while riding on the road, try riding on the sidewalk sometime. Sidewalk riders are hated by absolutely everyone:

-Walkers
-Joggers
-People Pushing Baby Strollers
-Blind People
-People in Wheelchairs
-Other People Riding Bikes on the Sidewalk
-People Walking Dogs
-Cars Making Right Turns
-Cars Making Left Turns
-Cars Pulling Out of Driveways
-Cars Pulling Into Driveways
-Passengers in Cars Glaring Out the Window at You

If you wanna become Public Enemy #1, just try riding on the sidewalk sometime, it's a freaking nightmare.
Old 09-25-17, 10:49 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I don't know about what the law is there in Michigan, but at least here in the Bay Area if not the State of Florida in order for someone to park in the roadway they have to apply for a permit. No permit, then it is NOT legal to park so as to block the the roadway.
No clue, but I seriously doubt that is law here. Hit it three times this morning, like most annoyances in life I deal with it and move on.
Old 09-25-17, 10:52 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You guys are...wow. Kinda like my husband, when I point out the patterns everywhere in everything he dismisses it as "coincidence". No matter what the patterns are, it's "coincidence" and "meaningless" and "people being stupid" and "not deliberate". No, I know better. Everywhere it's the same thing, everywhere, in all aspects of life. It's deliberate to hinder, always.

But as far as dedhed's comment, the wooden fences are patio specific. You can't see the property fence line in the pictures, and the workers 20 feet to the right were within the property fence line.

As far as Daves_Not_Here, it's the slippery slope thing. Call people out on their deliberate actions, or call nothing. Anything in between is the slippery slope that will only take you to one extreme or the other in end, so define what end you want in the first place.

You'd think there'd be a tad bit of sympathy over how no matter where people not in cars go, cars are going to do whatever it takes to take it away. All the time, everywhere. I don't talk about the other stuff since it's not bike related, but people try to take over and over, manipulating their way in, making it look meaningless and thoughtless so most people are fooled into thinking that.
Rachel,

What I have to laugh at is that most of these people would rather inconvenience cyclists and pedestrians instead of applying for the proper permits to park in the road. As it would be too much to inconvenience their fellow motorists.
Old 09-25-17, 10:56 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Thank you! Landscaping and manual labor isn't the easiest time, especially when compared to manufacturing grievances and taking offense at trivialities (awesome YTD elevation, btw)
That does NOT give them the "right" to block the MUP, sidewalk, crosswalk or whatever right of way that they feel like blocking. As I am sure that in most cities, counties, states that there is a process to go through in order to get the proper permits to park in the street.

While we are at I am also NOT a fan of on street parking, particularly on narrow roads.
Old 09-25-17, 11:06 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Those guys are just doing their job, trying to make a living. It's annoying but not enough to make their life harder over it.

<Snip>
That may be, but it still does not give them the right to block the bike lane.
Old 09-25-17, 01:45 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Do you feel better now?
Old 09-25-17, 01:56 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Am I the only one who sympathizes with the OP?
A private landscaping company has no right to block the bike path when there are other options (i.e., park at one of the clients!)
Old 09-26-17, 06:46 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
If anyone thinks they get no respect while riding on the road, try riding on the sidewalk sometime. Sidewalk riders are hated by absolutely everyone:

[snip]

If you wanna become Public Enemy #1, just try riding on the sidewalk sometime, it's a freaking nightmare.
In the town I work in, the police Community Resource cycling class instructs riders to be on the sidewalk whenever possible. This is for both children and adults.
Old 09-26-17, 07:04 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
A private landscaping company has no right to block the bike path when there are other options (i.e., park at one of the clients!)
No you are not. Thought experiment - imagine a private landscaping company blocking an entire ROAD.

-mr. bill
Old 09-26-17, 08:03 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by mr_bill
No you are not. Thought experiment - imagine a private landscaping company blocking an entire ROAD.

-mr. bill
I've mentioned it before, it happens regularly around me. I don't have to imagine it.

The road behind my employer is regularly obstructed with trucks prepping to load or unload at the factories next to us, when there is a giant disused parking lot right there that they would just rather not deal with pulling into. Is it annoying? Sure, but getting that worked up over it is simply not a rational reaction.
Old 09-26-17, 08:05 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've mentioned it before, it happens regularly around me. I don't have to imagine it.

The road behind my employer is regularly obstructed with trucks prepping to load or unload at the factories next to us, when there is a giant disused parking lot right there that they would just rather not deal with pulling into. Is it annoying? Sure, but getting that worked up over it is simply not a rational reaction.
COMPLETELY obstructed? The trucks can't get past the trucks? A car can't get past the trucks?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-26-17 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 09:07 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by mr_bill
COMPLETELY obstructed? The trucks can't get past the trucks? A car can't get past the trucks?

-mr. bill
If you want to be deliberately obtuse to the fact that the ways one can can easily get around that truck, or the fact that there is a very large difference in the maneuverability of a pedestrian or a cycle compared to a car, it is simply not an argument I am going to be drawn into. Nor do I believe if the truck was only blocking half the trail, that the outrage would be any less in A&S.

Last edited by jefnvk; 09-26-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 11:05 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Those guys are just doing their job, trying to make a living.
And of course, everybody on a bicycle is just out playing. Nobody would use one to try to get to or do a job.
Old 09-27-17, 03:06 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That does NOT give them the "right" to block the MUP, sidewalk...

While we are at I am also NOT a fan of on street parking, particularly on narrow roads.
Somehow those two statements look diametrically opposed.
Old 09-27-17, 05:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
And of course, everybody on a bicycle is just out playing. Nobody would use one to try to get to or do a job.
When I said that I see utility trucks, police cars, emergency vehicles, and other working vehicles on the Greenway, in the mornings, it is on my way to work. I haven't used the car to get to work in years. I don't get why your sarcasm, or why you think it makes a difference whether a person should be upset or not.
Old 09-27-17, 11:32 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing that they have a "right" to do this.

But rather that it simply isn't a big deal and not worth making an issue over it.
Old 09-27-17, 03:07 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Don't get your spandex in a knot unless you find out why the vehicle is where it is. Utility, service, construction and delivery vehicles routinely block lanes of traffic, parking lanes, sidewalks, paths, etc. often with legitimate reasons to temporarily do so. Far more irritating, than a random utility vehicle on a path, are inconsiderate drivers who think the bike lane is just extra parking.
Old 09-27-17, 04:19 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Myosmith
Far more irritating, than a random utility vehicle on a path, are inconsiderate drivers who think the bike lane is just extra parking.
That’s not a “random utility vehicle.” It’s an inconsiderate driver who thinks bike paths are just extra parking.

-mr. bill
Old 09-27-17, 08:27 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1,000,000

I agree Jimmie, like I said in the past when I've asked why they're parking in the bike lane, I've been told it's because their trucks leak and they don't want to get their clients driveway messy. But apparently they have NO problems whatsoever in creating a dangerous situation for cyclists. . .How asinine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.