Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Indianapolis bike law?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Indianapolis bike law?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 10:27 AM
2pedals5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indianapolis bike law?

Hello guys. Isaac is the name. I am the guy who just start getting into cycling/commuting to work. I have been looking everywhere (or at thr wrong places) for indiana bike law to ride on the road when it comes to no bike lane and no sidewalk...can you point me to somewhere I can get a proper information about it? Thank you.
Old 07-21-18, 10:40 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
https://bicycleindiana.org/images/Ind...cycle_Laws.pdf

9‐21‐11‐2 Riding on roadways; rights and duties
Sec. 2 A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and duties under this article that are applicable to a person who drives a vehicle.Except the following:
(1)Special regulations of this article
(2)Those provisions of this article that by their nature have no application
As with most other places, cyclists riding on the road have all rights and responsibilities that a motor vehicle driver has.
Old 07-21-18, 11:16 AM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you So much!!
Old 07-21-18, 12:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
HI am the guy who just start getting into cycling/commuting to work...
Oh, so YOU'RE the guy...

Welcome! This commuting forums is an exceptional compendium of shared experiences and knowledge. If you read through the posts you will find strategies for safer, more enjoyable commuting. You say you are new to bike commuting and you are asking for your local rules and regulations regarding biking in traffic. Great, those will keep you safe from legal infractions, but they won't keep you safe from motorists who fail to recognize your rights on the road.

So please search the forum for threads that cover the basics of safe bike commuting, etc.

Good luck, be safe, have fun and go, Go, GO!
Old 07-21-18, 12:27 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Oh, so YOU'RE the guy...

Welcome! This commuting forums is an exceptional compendium of shared experiences and knowledge. If you read through the posts you will find strategies for safer, more enjoyable commuting. You say you are new to bike commuting and you are asking for your local rules and regulations regarding biking in traffic. Great, those will keep you safe from legal infractions, but they won't keep you safe from motorists who fail to recognize your rights on the road.

So please search the forum for threads that cover the basics of safe bike commuting, etc.

Good luck, be safe, have fun and go, Go, GO!
Haha. Thank you.
Old 07-21-18, 06:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Indy has a 3 foot law - passing cars may not get closer than 3 feet to bikes - but Indiana doesn't yet. (Carmel has a new 3 foot law very recently.)
The Indiana bicycle laws link above goes to a 2015 version. Since then, the Legislature, for reasons unknown and with no publicity, removed the requirement for a bell or other warning device. All that part says now is that a siren or whistle cannot be used.
https://www.cibaride.org/page-1682255
Old 07-22-18, 04:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 2,056 Posts
Rules & Ordinances

Home

https://indycog.org/indianapolis-and...a-traffic-laws
Old 07-22-18, 10:04 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THIS is just what I need. Very helpful. Thank you.
Old 07-23-18, 05:37 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Carmel passed a bike ordinance back in 2013 which spells out pretty clearly the rules for riding on the road, sidewalks or on the MUP's. It does include the 3 foot law as well. I know Fishers just this past week passed the 3 foot law and I saw their bike ordinance which had some similar language to Carmel but if I read it right it looked like Fishers is mandating helmet use in their ordinance. I don't ride in downtown Indy or Broadripple so not sure what they have written but I know that there is not a universal 3 foot law in the State of Indiana. Also be aware that some of the MUPs have speed limits so if you plan to ride on them, just know that the posed limit on Carmel MUPs is 20 mph and in the more congested area's it is 15 mph.

I haven't ridden on the downtown Culture trail or the canal but I know you can ride them just know they might be more congested.
Old 07-23-18, 10:08 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by beachball42
Carmel passed a bike ordinance back in 2013 which spells out pretty clearly the rules for riding on the road, sidewalks or on the MUP's. It does include the 3 foot law as well. I know Fishers just this past week passed the 3 foot law and I saw their bike ordinance which had some similar language to Carmel but if I read it right it looked like Fishers is mandating helmet use in their ordinance. I don't ride in downtown Indy or Broadripple so not sure what they have written but I know that there is not a universal 3 foot law in the State of Indiana. Also be aware that some of the MUPs have speed limits so if you plan to ride on them, just know that the posed limit on Carmel MUPs is 20 mph and in the more congested area's it is 15 mph.

I haven't ridden on the downtown Culture trail or the canal but I know you can ride them just know they might be more congested.
Correct - Fishers is new to 3 ft law and Carmel already had one. I can't keep track of those faraway Northside communities - I live in the Southside suburbs.