Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Desk jobs vs strength and flexibility

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 01:40 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

Just curious - those who have a desk job, have you had struggles with flexibility and core strength? What has worked for you in addressing this? Has it made any difference in your bike fit or riding experience?

EXAMPLE: When I first started commuting, I thought my 23" frame w/ drop bars was too big for me (at 6' tall), at first even fitting a hi-rise 60mm stem and riding on the bar tops, bars level-ish with saddle. I was in pain pretty much constantly and would gas out after much over 10-12 miles. After yoga, squats, correcting seated and standing posture and building a standing desk for work, I am comfortable on the hoods and in the drops on that frame now with a 3 1/2" saddle to bar drop and 130mm stem. Not quite a year between then and now, about 3,500 total miles, most of them on that bike. I'm not an athlete and never was, and am mostly inactive off the bike. I only turned to those things to help keep me on the bike. The changes I made were casual and gradual. I still have core strength and flex issues, but they're getting better slowly with time.
Old 08-09-18, 02:47 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I'm curious to see if anyone else has specific things that worked for them.

For me it was doing Limber 11:

After doing that many times (because of issues unrelated to biking), suddenly riding the bike was a ton more comfortable.

---------

For me personally, I could not find a pair of clipless shoes that didn't make my feet hurt after riding for a while. I switched to flat shoes (five tens) and flat pedals with pins, and riding got a lot more comfortable for me as I no longer was trying to awkwardly keep pressure off of my feet. That won't be the case for everyone but it was for me. And that was after I tried several different shoes, shoe inserts, 2 fittings, etc.

---------

The only other thing that comes to mind is I've been going to a physical therapist and he's been doing something called "dry needling". They basically run a small electrical current through muscles to stimulate them and getting them working again. It's not a casual thing to do, but it's been very helpful in getting me flexibility after I injured my leg (not biking related).
Old 08-10-18, 09:34 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Oh yeah-this has really become an issue for me the last few years. My job's become increasingly sit-at-a-computer-ey and my aging back and core have suffered. I've raised my handlebars and shortened my reach and I've tried to get into a core work routine I could stick to, but the honest, unfortunate fact is that I am a lazy, lazy man when it comes to exercise and I really HATE working out for it's own sake. I cycle for fun not so much for fitness, though I kind of become fit in some directions simply because I ride quite a bit. It unfortunately throws my body out of balance and my legs and lungs often try to write checks my back and shoulders can't cash and the results are often painful, up to and including a herniated disc in my neck a few years ago. So I try to do a few planks and push ups and crunches once or twice a week. If I make myself stick to it for a while it definitely helps. Sticking with it is hard tho...
Old 08-10-18, 09:53 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
hmmm. I've been sitting at desks in front of computers pretty much every day of work since 1986. I don't think that's a "cause" of any kind of fitness issues. A lack of exercise, however, is likely to "allow" such issues to take hold. Someone might have a job that gives them simultaneous exercise effects, but not most folks today who work indoors. If someone my age (54) doesn't want to dedicate time to exercise, which I completely understand, then, yep, that someone can expect to have aches and pains. I see dedicated exercise as a very effective offset to my desk job, and I do believe it helps prevent those physical issues.
Old 08-10-18, 08:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I should get a standing desk. Sitting is lethal.

I've had bad core strength and flexibility all my life, and I had bad upper body strength. I got a scare three years ago when I injured my shoulders. I'm better than before my injury now, because I do some weight work with a barbell in my bedroom. I should add to my routines, and I will eventually. Right now, I do one or two exercises a day, very briefly. I don't like working out, so I don't put much time into it, but I'm seeing real benefits to the little exercise I do. I do dead lifts, overhead presses, and push-ups. I do stretches occasionally like toe-touching, though I can't really reach that far.

Walking helps with flexibility. Really. The more I walk, the better.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-18, 11:37 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Doing a yoga class once a week that includes a 6 minute plank/core workout along with 3ish midweek 1minute plank with 30pushups each. Seems to be keeping my strength steady at 62. Should do more to build strength, though. Also 100-125 cycling miles per week.
Old 08-11-18, 02:05 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Are you doing an anaerobic (weight training) exercises? Particularly those surround the core muscles?
Old 08-12-18, 09:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I think that sitting at a desk for hours does cause fitness issues, over and above the fact that it's simply not exercise. If nothing else stand up and move around every hour or so.
Old 08-13-18, 10:15 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I desperately want one of those exercise balls to sit on. Barring that, there's this:

Old 08-13-18, 11:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Korina
I desperately want one of those exercise balls to sit on.
I sat on one for a few months. It wasn't so great. Yes, it kept me in motion, but it wasn't supportive enough.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-13-18, 12:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I sat on one for a few months. It wasn't so great. Yes, it kept me in motion, but it wasn't supportive enough.
Supportive? Back or backside?
Old 08-13-18, 12:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Supportive? Back or backside?
There's no back support at all, of course. But the place where I put my tush was too soft. As with my saddles, I like my seats hard.

Old 08-13-18, 07:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I had an instructor that had one of the exercise balls in his office instead of a chair. I guess its a stabilizing thing, but when I tried it out it wasn't so impressive. I think the more important thing is to never stay in one position for too long.

That said, I find the Herman Miller chairs to be a godsend when your jobs necessitates sitting for many hours. They are, by far, the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in. I only wish I could afford one of my own.
Old 08-13-18, 07:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My flexibility is worse than that of the average corpse. Unfortunately, I cannot blame this on sitting, because I have a rotten attention span and can't sit in once place for very long.
Old 08-13-18, 09:13 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I’m not aware of any current science about flexibility/fitness/whatever related to desk jobs vs overall sedentary lifestyle. My experience is skewed since I only cared about any of it to stay on my bike which is my only form of exercise and I only started doing it after I was already doing desk work. Probably most people’s experiences will be skewed. If you’re riding a bike at all in the first place, you’re way ahead of most people, around here anyway.
Old 08-14-18, 09:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Interesting thread.

Back when I was a cager, I developed a pinched nerve in my neck that gave me intense pain down my arm and around my shoulder blade. Got that resolved with anti-inflammatories (Aleve), an epidural injection, physical therapy, and a sit/stand desk at work. The medicine helped relieve the problem short-term, the physical therapy helped me improve my posture and flexibility, and the sit/stand desk I believe plays a significant role in keeping me in a better state.

I just recently learned about the book Becoming a Supple Leopard. An orthopedic surgeon friend of mine recommended it. Since it's a pretty expensive book, I haven't bought it yet, but my wife found this other book by the same author at the library: Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World. I've started reading it and I'm very impressed. The author has a PhD in Physical Therapy, and even though at first glance he looks like he would just be a Crossfit advertisement, the book does not read that way at all, it's very scientific, but presented in a very readable way. So far I've skimmed Section 1 on why bad posture is bad, and read Section 2: "Natural Body Principles: How to Organize and Stabilize Your Spine, Hips, and Shoulders". Very eye opening. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
Old 08-14-18, 09:27 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I should get a standing desk. Sitting is lethal.
I read an interesting article a while back (Outside magazine?) that explained pretty convincingly that it's not sitting specifically, it's being stationary. Standing still for 8 hours a day is not much better than sitting 8 hours a day. I'd love to see more research, but I would be inclined to think that the advice to move for 20sec every 20min may be more helpful than "just stand up instead of sitting".
Old 08-14-18, 09:31 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I desperately want one of those exercise balls to sit on.
Your body does have muscles that run through it that evolved to sit under tension all day. But one of the reasons why you end up with posture problems because of sitting is because the body recruites muscles that were normally used for other purposes to do this instead. Hip flexors, hamstrings, etc...you sit in a chair and your body uses this muscles to keep you upright, over time these muscles start to become physically shorter to the length they're sitting in when you're in the chair.

Ergonomic chairs are designed to support your body in such a way that you don't need to use these muscles. Having ideal posture and muscle activation is the other way people avoid these issues, if your body is capable of sitting in a chair and not needing to engage them in the first place.

An exercise ball though provides no stability and greatly increases your need to keep these muscles engaged to stay upright...not the way you want to go for better posture and less issues from sitting.

An exercise ball can have different improvements, mostly in not smashing your glutes and hamstrings into a hard chair surface, but so can a better chair.

At least this is my understanding of the pros and cons of different chairs based on reading combined with personal experience.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 08-14-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 09:52 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
This is a start, for those wanting science https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22890825

The studies they examined dealt with sedentary time, not exercise. Being sedentary for prolonged periods (desk job) by itself, regardless of exercise otherwise, is correlated to issues respective of health.