Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front Basket

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Front Basket

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 05:51 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Front Basket

I'm looking to add a front basket to the commuter bike but which one? Ward has always been a top leader but there are so many other brands out there that seem good too. So I have to ask, which one is the best and why?
Old 04-30-16, 07:56 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you plan to hang it from your handlebars or mount it to a rack? Which you choose should depend on how much weight you plan to put in there. More weigh = put it on a rack or get a basket with struts.

All of that is preface to this: I have a basket zip tied to the handlebars of one of my bikes. I went into Michael's and picked one that looked sturdy and about the right size. It was on sale for $7. I only use it for storing extra layers like gloves or a fleece layer in the "between" seasons. One thing to be cautious of: without a cargo net, things will bounce right out if you hit a bump.
Old 04-30-16, 10:08 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I like my Steco folding crate, and with a Racktime quick release it takes one second to put on and take off.

Racktime makes a front rack that would work with the same setup
https://ortliebusa.com/product/top-it/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2707.jpg (100.5 KB, 450 views)
IMG_2716.jpg (100.2 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by kickstart; 04-30-16 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 08:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Popular at The Local Here, is one that simply hooks ober your handlebars. It has 2 parts .

lifting the handle of the basket releases it from the support hooked over the bars (& leaning against the head tube, to further support the weight .

buyers are typically just cruising..

Wald newsboy baskets can really carry a lot of stuff , braces go to your front axle.

wicker and ash baskets look nice . there are plastic coated wicker looking baskets too .

Then there is the whole Porteur front rack thing..

CETMA racks https://cetmacargo.com/pages/cetma-racks-info

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-01-16 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 09:25 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been casually researching this question, as I've considered adding a front basket to a new bike, for my typical commuting needs -- carrying my lunch, rain gear, and occasional stops at the store on the way home. I've also attached baskets to other bikes in the family.

Here's the problem, as I see it: Nothing fits the modern bike, due to short head tubes, creative handlebar designs, and the mess of cables in the typical cockpit. Those old Wald baskets (had one as a kid) are perfect for the relatively uniform bike designs of that era. Now, if you don't have good attachment points for the basket, on top and bottom, the thing will flop around just enough to eventually wreck itself, while also mangling all of your cabling.

The one thing that might help is a front rack that attaches to those two threaded inserts that are on a lot of newer forks. The Top-It rack linked by @kickstart is the only product I've found with that mounting scheme. REI also has those, same price. There are also some quite inexpensive racks that attach to the vee-brake posts, but I don't know how those would affect operation of the brakes.

On my other commuters (old Schwinn beater and an old winter Salt-O-Cross bike) I have a regular rigid rear rack and Wald 585 non folding basket attached with stainless hose clamps. Those baskets have taken a beating -- years of constant use and heavy loads from the supermarket.
Old 05-01-16, 11:56 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Deluxe Porteur Rack ? Stainless Steel | SOMA Fabrications

You can get it with fence to serve as basket and still attach two ortlieb front panniers.
Old 05-01-16, 01:52 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I'm looking to add a front basket to the commuter bike but which one? Ward has always been a top leader but there are so many other brands out there that seem good too. So I have to ask, which one is the best and why?
Are you looking for a front basket that can be easily removed and put back on again, or will it be fixed in place?

A permanently fixed in place basket will be cheaper, but if you want the convenience of being able to take your basket off and on again easily, I recently purchased the Racktime front rack and Racktime front basket and I am very, very impressed with the connection system they have, that allows for easy removal.

I would recommend it without hestitation.
Old 05-01-16, 02:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have a front basket here somewhere that's a lot like an open handlebar bag. There's a mount just like a hanblebar bag mount and the basket clips into that. The basket has a carrying handle that folds down out of the way when the basket is on the bike. It'd be very useful for commuting or small shoping trips.

Cheers
Old 05-01-16, 02:44 PM
jetta_mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these on the way.

Origin8 Classique front rack
Old 05-02-16, 07:24 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a big fan of Wald...but Topeak also makes some nice front baskets. Quick release - so easy to take on/off. As much as I love Wald, if I were to go with a front basket I would probably choose the Topeak so I could take it off when not planning to use it.
Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Baskets > Korb vorn
Old 05-04-16, 05:34 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The Wald is inexpensive and functional. This one zip tied to a Nitto rack.

On a porteur rack. (I really liked this for the heavy loads).

Old 05-04-16, 06:14 AM
okane

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid

Carried my 20 pound dog around in it for a number of years. I set it up on a Breezer with QR skewers at the axel, and weld nuts at handle bar. Takes about 3 minutes to remove or install with 1 hex wrench and is rock solid when riding. Previously used it on a World Sport and both dog and I had many happy miles together until he became blind and is now fearful of riding.

Let me know if you want further info. PS--taking an identical setup to Trexlertown to sell this weekend

Attached Images
b1.jpg (108.2 KB, 328 views)
Old 05-04-16, 05:16 PM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I've had handlebar mounts, fork mounts, and frame mounts. I'm a huge fan of the latter. Riding is much more comfortable and enjoyable without any weight making steering weird. The Azor rack below that we have on all of our bikes can be installed or removed in about 20 seconds as it simply slides in to the mounting tubes.

Azor/Steco Pickup frame mounting front rack
Old 05-05-16, 05:06 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always get a cheap big box store basket. They work decently enough, even if you have to bungee cord it to the handlebars and head tube. Probably work even better if you have a front rack to zip tie it to.
Old 06-06-18, 01:06 AM
jaydee33

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
I've had handlebar mounts, fork mounts, and frame mounts. I'm a huge fan of the latter. Riding is much more comfortable and enjoyable without any weight making steering weird. The Azor rack below that we have on all of our bikes can be installed or removed in about 20 seconds as it simply slides in to the mounting tubes.
Where did you get that Azor Steco pickup rack. I would love one and am in Los angeles.
Old 08-15-18, 02:20 PM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jaydee33
Where did you get that Azor Steco pickup rack. I would love one and am in Los angeles.
Sorry about the late reply. They're available from Workcycles and Dutch Bike Bits

https://www.workcycles.com

https://www.dutchbikebits.com
Old 08-15-18, 05:40 PM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I like my Steco folding crate, and with a Racktime quick release it takes one second to put on and take off.

Racktime makes a front rack that would work with the same setup
https://ortliebusa.com/product/top-it/

Kickstart - did you have to buy the crate and the quick release separately?
Old 08-15-18, 06:13 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
I ordered a Wald 137 for my old Peugeot earlier this summer. Installation was simple and solid. It's become my favorite grocery bike.

Last edited by blackieoneshot; 08-15-18 at 08:22 PM.