Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

'Ghost bike thefts are on the rise'

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 06:56 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

https://www.abqjournal.com/1248175/g...-the-rise.html

No RIP for bicyclists. I don't like them but I respect others.
Old 11-19-18, 08:46 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
The dregs of humanity have no boundaries.
Old 11-19-18, 09:52 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Wow, that is sad. There are a few ghost bikes in my community that I ride past frequently. Even if you were able to get them detached from the signpost or guardrail they're attached to...you couldn't ride them. No chain, tires, brakes, etc. But... I've thought for a while that here on the BF, there ought to be a tribute forum/thread for posting pictures of ghost bikes.

Dan
Old 11-19-18, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I feel bad for anyone mourning the loss of someone killed while biking, but this is a social practice I'd really like to see go away. Are people really expecting these to be eternal monuments? At some point, they need to get picked up.

People get killed on public streets and sidewalks all the time from all sorts of different causes. If only bicycle deaths leave this permanent reminder, people will get the impression that bikes are especially dangerous.

This isn't done for dead pedestrians, crime victims, people who just succumb to heart attacks on the street, or drivers. Why are bicyclists different? If you leave a permanent monument to everyone who dies in a city, soon there would be no room for living in that city.
Old 11-19-18, 02:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I have to agree with @livedarklions. Maybe give the bikes 6 months or a year, then it is time to move on.

Add 800 ghost bikes a year across the USA. 8000 a decade... 80,000 a century... it could be a pretty ghostly country.

Would any commercial cemeteries accept ghost bikes in perpetuity?
Old 11-19-18, 03:23 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
One thing I always thought was lame is most motorists, either a: Don't know what a ghost bike is or b: If they did know, they just don't care...Assuming they even took notice at all. There is just no relate for them.

I appreciate the ghost bike sentiment, but I think there are more effective ways to go about a public awareness campaign.

There is a "Do not drink & drive" road sign that I pass regularly. In smaller letters it says, "In memory of (some name) 'Pef' Pefley." I don't drink & drive, not because of "Pef", I don't drink & drive because of the $10,000 it would cost and the PIA of blowing in a straw to ask my car for permission to go to work. Sorry "Pef," You died in vain & nobody cares...It's the same with ghost bikes.

You want someone to care about cyclists? You hit their wallets.

Last edited by base2; 11-19-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 04:47 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
People get killed on public streets and sidewalks all the time from all sorts of different causes. If only bicycle deaths leave this permanent reminder, people will get the impression that bikes are especially dangerous.
In New Mexico and a lot of Hispanic America there are descansos, memorials to people killed in vehicle and other accidents.
Old 11-19-18, 06:08 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Wow, that is sad. There are a few ghost bikes in my community that I ride past frequently. Even if you were able to get them detached from the signpost or guardrail they're attached to...you couldn't ride them. No chain, tires, brakes, etc. But... I've thought for a while that here on the BF, there ought to be a tribute forum/thread for posting pictures of ghost bikes.

Dan
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...membrance.html
Old 11-19-18, 06:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

White Ghost Bikes, Many to Choose From (Price Each)

Ok, most of the original ad/photos apparently have been lost

The story was that the local church was doing some kind of exhibit with a dozen white bikes, and one red one, then later re-selling the bikes after the exhibit closed down.
Old 11-19-18, 08:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
While I empathize with people who put up the ghost bikes, what they are is a private memorial that someone erected on public property. Authorities are torn between leaving something that doesn't belong, or offending someone by removing it. Maybe they should require a permit, which is good for a specific time frame?

Like any other bike that's left out, it is/will be vulnerable to thieves. It's a bike, not a gravestone.
Old 11-19-18, 09:28 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Article is behind a paywall so I didn't read it, but the other side of the coin these are often put up, many times by someone in no way connected to the person who died, and then just left. There is one I know of that has been there well over a year now, that highway crews seemingly just mow around. Grass is generally tall under it, the paint is getting worn, it is obvious that no one is taking care of it. With all due respect, it is more of an eyesore than a memorial. It doesn't surprise me that at some point, it will be removed, especially the ones that get tossed up on private property.
Old 11-19-18, 09:38 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
While I empathize with people who put up the ghost bikes, what they are is a private memorial that someone erected on public property. Authorities are torn between leaving something that doesn't belong, or offending someone by removing it. Maybe they should require a permit, which is good for a specific time frame?
Most ghost bikes in New Mexico are on private property or have permission from the relevant authority.

Descansos are protected by law throughout New Mexico and can not be removed for other than safety reasons. There is no conflict, descansos can’t be touched.

Ghost bikes are are explicitly called out as descansos by the City of Albuquerque.
Old 11-19-18, 09:43 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
It's common in these parts to have markers commemorating motorist deaths. They've standardized them when alongside a State road on public land, but they can take any form if on private property.
Old 11-20-18, 12:06 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Looks like a cenotaph to me.
Old 11-20-18, 04:54 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It's common in these parts to have markers commemorating motorist deaths. They've standardized them when alongside a State road on public land, but they can take any form if on private property.

Many cities allow them as well.
Old 11-20-18, 07:50 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

White Ghost Bikes, Many to Choose From (Price Each)

Ok, most of the original ad/photos apparently have been lost

The story was that the local church was doing some kind of exhibit with a dozen white bikes, and one red one, then later re-selling the bikes after the exhibit closed down.
I emailed the guy when the ad first appeared to let him know about the whole ghost bike thing. He gave me the same church play story. Being that he was now fully informed of their meaning, I wished him luck. He said not to worry, "They'll still sell."

By way of random chance, on a bike ride a few months ago, I happened to see a large pile of them in his front yard near the street...I guess they haven't sold and are free for the taking. He lives just off of 15th & Perkins a half a block from the Synagogue...not that anyone else here is familiar with the area.

I'm still undecided if I need a project frame or not.
Old 11-20-18, 08:54 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

Many cities allow them as well.
We too have a program like this here in SD. its called X marks the spot. Familys can allow a sign to be placed where a loved one perished. We don't have too many memorials roadside here. Rarely do we see a ghost bike, if we do its for around 30 days and removed.

I get people mourn in different ways so not going to criticize anyone for anything......I do like the national ride of silence, I usually ride that and its a good ride to get the message out.
Old 11-20-18, 09:24 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
No disrespect intended to anyone suffering the loss of a loved one, but the idea of placing monuments in public spaces is simply unsustainable. I know the sentiment is heartfelt, but to strangers the ghost bike is nothing more than repurposed trash. I suspect the increase in “theft” of ghost bikes in Albuquerque is probably the actions of a community fed up with the practice.

-Kedosto
Old 11-20-18, 10:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle

Most ghost bikes in New Mexico are on private property or have permission from the relevant authority.

Descansos are protected by law throughout New Mexico and can not be removed for other than safety reasons. There is no conflict, descansos can’t be touched.

Ghost bikes are are explicitly called out as descansos by the City of Albuquerque.

I think the city will come to regret that. First of all, the first ghost bikes didn't appear anywhere until 2003, so it's not like the bike aspect of this is some sort of old religious tradition. Secondly the Duke City Wheelmen are engaged in a project to install ghost bikes, some of them commemorating long-dead people. The article linked says they have installed 35 of these, and says they're about to install one for a child who was killed in 1994. If they're going to go far back in history to find bike accidents, they could really clutter up the city with these things.

This isn't primarily about grieving families and other loved ones, this is about an advocacy organization making some kind of public relations statement, and it's one I really think will make people think bicycling is wayyy more dangerous than it really is.
Old 11-21-18, 08:11 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's not a thing here, but we do get shrines by the side of the road - flowers for someone run over or in a car crash.

Like, not for me, please. I'm not there. My memory is better forgotten than propped up by a bunch of dead flowers on a T-junction where I had my worst moment.
Old 11-21-18, 10:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
No disrespect intended to anyone suffering the loss of a loved one, but the idea of placing monuments in public spaces is simply unsustainable. I know the sentiment is heartfelt, but to strangers the ghost bike is nothing more than repurposed trash. I suspect the increase in “theft” of ghost bikes in Albuquerque is probably the actions of a community fed up with the practice.

-Kedosto
None taken. I agree, its fine for a time but someone has to be elected for cleanup once that time has expired.
Old 11-23-18, 08:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I feel bad for anyone mourning the loss of someone killed while biking, but this is a social practice I'd really like to see go away. Are people really expecting these to be eternal monuments? At some point, they need to get picked up.

The vast majority of deaths to cyclists, pedestrians and motor vehicle passengers are caused by negligent drivers. People need to be reminded that their actions have consequences. The law has been indifferent, favoring convenience over safety.

This isn't done for dead pedestrians, crime victims, people who just succumb to heart attacks on the street, or drivers. Why are bicyclists different? If you leave a permanent monument to everyone who dies in a city, soon there would be no room for living in that city.
It's done in many places for pedestrians, victims of crime and motor vehicle negligence. Our highways and some busy streets are lined with impromptu unofficial memento mori, reminders of the carnage caused by negligent drivers -- not only drunk drivers. Most of the negligent drivers who kill and injure others were not impaired by alcohol or drugs, prescription or illegal. Most are simply negligent and indifferent to their recklessness.

In my neighborhood a roadside memorial has been maintained carefully for five years. The hit and run driver was never caught. It's a six lane divided boulevard that used to serve as a highway, but has long since served far less traffic as the nearby interstate system has taken over most traffic. In other words, there was no reason for the vehicle to strike the pedestrian. Plenty of lighting and clear visibility. No traffic. No extenuating circumstances. But I've seen how people drive here. I've seen drivers swerve across three lanes to deliberately brush-by cyclists and pedestrians. It's the unfortunate nature of the area, due to the declining economy, loss of jobs and influx of transient renters who have no stake in any sense of community and regard others as enemies and potential victims rather than neighbors. Where life is cheap and the law provides no deterrents or consequences, some people will use vehicles as weapons. And they often get away with murder.

Until the laws change and the entire US paradigm changes to prioritize life and safety over convenience, those memorials serve as a necessary discomforting reminder of our misplaced priorities.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-23-18 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 12:43 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
.............I appreciate the ghost bike sentiment, but I think there are more effective ways to go about a public awareness campaign...............

Other than a 24/7/365 + 1 for leap year in your face type of campaign, I don't believe public awareness/compassion will improve. Hasn't worked for Don't Drink and Drive why should the lowly bicycle rider command any equal or great concern.

A memorial tribute for a great man-friend-rider, Pete Cornell Memorial Bicycle Tender, Port Charlotte, Florida, USA - Bicycle Tenders on Waymarking.com was placed at the beginning of local trailhead where we gather to start rides.

On July 26th, the anniversary of his being hit and killed, I bicycle 100 miles. This year I placed a gel in the "hands" and it remained there for 2 weeks.
Old 11-24-18, 01:11 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
In New Mexico and a lot of Hispanic America there are descansos, memorials to people killed in vehicle and other accidents.
Si.
Old 11-24-18, 08:04 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Other than a 24/7/365 + 1 for leap year in your face type of campaign, I don't believe public awareness/compassion will improve. Hasn't worked for Don't Drink and Drive why should the lowly bicycle rider command any equal or great concern.

A memorial tribute for a great man-friend-rider, Pete Cornell Memorial Bicycle Tender, Port Charlotte, Florida, USA - Bicycle Tenders on Waymarking.com was placed at the beginning of local trailhead where we gather to start rides.

On July 26th, the anniversary of his being hit and killed, I bicycle 100 miles. This year I placed a gel in the "hands" and it remained there for 2 weeks.
That's the thing...It means something to us. The meaning is lost on people who have no relate to either the person or the activity. I wish this were't so. I wish people were just responsible, considerate, & patient. A bit of empathy towards cyclists would do us all good. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. So, I am ok with a penalty being applied to a driver for irresponsible, inconsiderate, impatient behavior.

The reason an automobile requires a license is because of the cost & risk involved of not respecting someone elses rights. If a driver hits a cyclist, pedestrian, whoever, that person no longer has life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness...they're injured or dead. So in response, a certain minimum proficiency must be demonstrated to ensure the risk to others is minimized. A penalty of equal measure to the consequences should be applied.

That penalty forces accountability, due care & caution. The vast majority of people who get DUI/DWI/Drink driving, only get 1 before they shape up. The penalty is effective, the road sign by my house, inconclusive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.