Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Solar panels that charge phone throughout ride?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 02:02 PM
Dksucharda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am using plan on using map my ride app to help me navigate my rides. I plan on using an I-phone mount to my handle bars. As I am sure many of you are aware this can drain the battery quick on a phone. I am looking at getting a solar panel that can mount on my rear rack. or maybe on a luggage carrier of my front handle bars. Either way I had envisioned the cord from the solar panel going to the phone and charging it. However, as I have begun to look at these, it has appears that typically the solar panel charges batteries and then you plug in your phone later in the the charged batteries. Are any of you aware any solar panels that directly charge I-phones. Also, is there a way to calculate how much juice (wats/amps; not sure of the proper terminology) a phone that is navigating uses, and subsequently direct what solar panels I should be looking for.
Old 12-19-18, 04:11 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
You can look at backpack panels. It likely involves far more effort and frustration than you expect in getting it to work.
Old 12-19-18, 05:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
The liquid crystal display meters (LCD) cost a bit more, the light emitting diode (LED) meters are cheaper but very hard to see in sunlight.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=usb+current+meter&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

I got one of these recently, works great and is readable in sunlight.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT658...C/232596812253

Stuff shipped from asia can take a bit over a month to get here, and if the trade war gets worse it might not get here at all.

I have not used the app you are using. Can you use that in airplane mode with the screen off? Or does it need to stay connected to internet? If so, about half of my tours are remote enough that I have no cell coverage, so if you need cell coverage that could be a problem. The screen takes a lot of power, if you can leave that off most of the time, that will help.

Bring a big power bank that can power your phone for a couple days if you have overcast skies.

Do you know where you are going? This can help estimate how much of the time you can expect clear skies. Enter your proposed location into it.
https://weatherspark.com/y/757/Avera...tes-Year-Round

This is several years old, thus a lot of the hardware described in here is no longer made, but overall it is a good discussion.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=9258
Old 12-19-18, 07:08 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
It's generally pretty frustrating to charge a phone directly (hence why panels are usually used to charge a battery which then charges the phone). As the solar radiation hitting the panel varies with clouds, angle to the sun etc... there may or may not be enough power to charge the phone. So it goes in and out of charging mode and generally, doesn't get there too fast. It's just not efficient.

J.
Old 12-20-18, 12:03 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
The solution I use when extended telephone operation is required is to carry a small 4.7Ah rechargeable battery pack in my pocket, providing power to the telephone, maintaining it at 100% state of charge.

This is a small iGO battery pack, about the size of a small telephone.

This has two USB receptacles. The output connector is a standard USB Type A receptacle, that accepts a standard telephone charging cord. The input connector is a USB Micro B receptacle. The battery pack includes a short (~3") USB Micro B plug to USB Type A plug cable, to plug the battery pack into a standard charging receptacle.

Just tap the only push button to turn on the output. It remains on if a load is connected. It times out and turns off if no load is connected.

This is small, light, easy, low-cost and effective.
Old 12-20-18, 06:56 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
If you have regular access to electricity (over night), using an external battery is the simplest/easiest thing to do.

Using batteries is very common. Using solar is much, much less so. There might be a good reason for that.

The energy produced by the panels is highly dependant on light levels and orientation. Not something that works well if you are moving.
Old 12-20-18, 10:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
RAVPower Solar Charger 16W Solar Panel with Dual USB Port Waterproof Foldable Camping Travel Charger Compatible iPhone Xs XS Max XR X 8 7 Plus, iPad, Galaxy S9 S8 Edge Plus, Note, LG, Nexus and More
Old 12-21-18, 02:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Power from a solar panel falls off when it is not perpendicular to the sun.. so it has to follow the sun as it transits across the sky..
Old 12-25-18, 10:05 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I do recommend an power converter with backup battery.
bumm.de/en/products/stromversorgung/parent/361/produkt/361.html?
bumm.de/en/products/stromversorgung/parent/3610/produkt/361bw.html?
bumm.de/en/products/stromversorgung/parent/461/produkt/461a.html?

It can be powered by dynamo.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/hub-dynamos/

Or check out this system for hub dynamos:
forumslader.de/automatiklader/erweiterungen/aheadspacer/
forumslader.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Individuelle%20Geraete/jensd/Download/FL-Ahead/V5_Allgemein/Forumslader_pricelist_english.pdf
forumslader.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Individuelle%20Geraete/jensd/Download/FL-Ahead/V5_Allgemein/English_Assembly_ForumsladerV5_kompakt.pdf

For cennoecting the phone to USB:
en.cinq5.de/stromversorgung/plug-iii/
supernova-lights.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/v0717_theplug_web.pdf

Last edited by angerdan; 12-25-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 05:55 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The cheapest way to do what you want is an external battery pack for your phone and a phine mount, here's one where they're integrated for $30 with a 10,000mAh battery (about 3x larger than average built in cell battery):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077FNHM4V/

If you need to do this for days or weeks at a time without recharging, a dynamo hhub inside the wheel is the most reliable way to go, but also it's expensive:

Prebuilt wheel ($230):
https://www.perennialcycle.com/dynam...amo-wheel.html

​​​​​​charger from dynamo ($120)
https://www.perennialcycle.com/sinew...b-charger.html

Or, a different charger that gives you a clean look $180:
https://www.perennialcycle.com/the-p...ower-port.html

Another one $150
https://www.perennialcycle.com/busch...-usb-werk.html

A dynamo light with charging circuitry built in, you can either use the light or charge your phone $240
https://www.perennialcycle.com/lumot...headlight.html

You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere as well, but you're looking at $300 or mor for a dynamo setup, vs $30 or so for an external battery.

Solar panels don't work that well. They're very awkward, they don't work well if it's cloudy, or they're tilted wrong, or they got dirty. Power output is inconsistent so they ususlly charge an external battery, then use that to charge the phone. Did I mention the awkardness and trying to bslance a large pnael behind you on the bike while riding?
Old 12-27-18, 06:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Lots of great suggestions for external batteries.

I bought a battery/panel charger, but frankly, the little panel doesn't deliver enough juice to be useful. The battery is good, but unfortunately it shuts itself off and won't do a float charge. Watch out for the auto-off "feature".

I very much dislike my Android style chargers, and think the cords and charging ports are very much vulnerable to damage if trying to use them when riding. I think the Apple chargers may be a little more robust.

An internal extended battery may be available for many Android phones, but not necessarily for Apple phones. Still, it is worth looking for a semi-integrated extended battery.

I use my Android phone for route recording and mapping. But, if doing 100+ miles, I'll set my screen time-out to 30 seconds are so (or manually shut off the screen), so open the screen, view what one wishes, and immediately shut it back down. Thus, just use the map for critical turns.

I haven't used MapMyRide. But, Strava has decent free mapping software, but has one issue that it likes to forget one's route if one hits the wrong button.

RideWithGPS charges for the mapping features, but has good speed tracking functions. One benefit of RideWithGPS (on Android) is that it has "Handlebar Mode", which allows you to click one button to re-activate. But, it also has the issue, that an accidental activation of the screen could drain your battery without you noticing it.

I keep intending to configure dynamo wheels on a couple of bikes for both lights and auxiliary charging.

There is a Busch & Müller USB-WERK designed to take dynamo power and create USB, including a cache battery.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&musbwerk.php

Old 12-28-18, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
FWIW got my iPhone battery replaced this week. it was down to 6% capacity. it had 751 charge cycles since it was originally sold in 2014 so likely the original battery (I bought it used a year ago). but anyway, holy cow! this thing is lasting for days w/o a charge now!

while at the Apple store met 4 other ppl getting their batteries replaced!
Old 12-28-18, 08:45 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
It is possible to DIY an iPhone battery replacement. I have done several w/ OEM batteries w/o any issues.
Old 12-28-18, 03:40 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Avoiding buying iPhones and choosing products with user friendly hardware is the easiest way to solve problems like battery replacements.
ifixit.com/smartphone-repairability?sort=score
Old 12-28-18, 04:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
Avoiding buying iPhones and choosing products with user friendly hardware is the easiest way to solve problems like battery replacements.
ifixit.com/smartphone-repairability?sort=score
Interesting comparison.

Apple's non-replaceable battery is a problem, although apparently the newer devices are somewhat easier to open.

I wonder if one should also compare quality and workmanship. I very much dislike the rather ubiquitous Android chargers. I've chewed up several cables, and repeatedly had issues with them, although my phones still seem to take a charge most of the time. 2 other devices won't charge.

Also availability of small parts. Standardization? I may be digging out charging ports sometime.

I believe the Apple plugs look more robust.