Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted: Shimano wheelset vs Velocity wheelset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 07:57 PM
vitt_5

Bikes: Scott Addict 10 Argon 18 E114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some opinions on which set you would run. I recently upgraded to a new to me bike and it came with a set of Velocity wheels. I had been running Shimano RS81s on the previous bike that I anticipated using. I plan on running 25c Conti 4000s on either set. Now I'm not 100% sure which are actually better (reliably/performance). Any input would be appreciated.

The 2 sets:
Velocity A23s with DT Swiss 240 hubs
Shimano RS81 C24
Old 02-27-19, 11:19 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
OK - the Velocity setup you mention isn't necessarily a Velocity wheelset unless you actually bought it from Velocity. They have a "Wheel Department" business unit that does do handbuilt wheels that could most likely build you a DT 240 on an A23 rim but odds are high that it was from elsewhere. That doesn't mean it's good or bad but it throws the knowledge of the build quality on that set of wheels into question.

You neglected to include the most important things when considering wheels - your rider weight and intended use.

I'm not going to go look up the specs on the Shimano pre-built wheel. I can tell you they have done some great work in the past and some of their wheels will last a long time. Many won't. On the lower end of their offerings you're just playing a waiting game until a spoke breaks or you have some other issue. You'll feel like they're the best wheelset ever until that happens and leaves you stranded.

Old 02-27-19, 12:24 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Shimano hubs are mostly dead silent coasting and I love it. I hate loud freehuds that sound like a ��.
Old 02-28-19, 05:22 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Shimano wheels are skinnier than I prefer but the two sets I’ve had (6800 and RS700) have been faultless. I still think Shimano hubs are grossly underrated. Because of their internal width, I run a 23mm Conti GP4k but that’s a whole other debate.
Old 02-28-19, 04:20 PM
vitt_5

Bikes: Scott Addict 10 Argon 18 E114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
OK - the Velocity setup you mention isn't necessarily a Velocity wheelset unless you actually bought it from Velocity. They have a "Wheel Department" business unit that does do handbuilt wheels that could most likely build you a DT 240 on an A23 rim but odds are high that it was from elsewhere. That doesn't mean it's good or bad but it throws the knowledge of the build quality on that set of wheels into question.

You neglected to include the most important things when considering wheels - your rider weight and intended use.

I'm not going to go look up the specs on the Shimano pre-built wheel. I can tell you they have done some great work in the past and some of their wheels will last a long time. Many won't. On the lower end of their offerings you're just playing a waiting game until a spoke breaks or you have some other issue. You'll feel like they're the best wheelset ever until that happens and leaves you stranded.
Yep completely forgot to add in weight & use. I'm about 168 - 173 lbs depending on the week. Most of my riding is flat with some rolling hills (NE Kansas) so no hardcore climbing. I race some, mostly triathlons though.

I really like the Shimano's but didn't know if the Velocity rims on Swiss hubs would be any better.

Last edited by vitt_5; 02-28-19 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 11:16 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
From personal use, I really like my wheels. I had them built using the Velocity a23's with dt swiss 350 hubs. They roll great, and look nice on the bike. Not sure if they are better or equal to the shimano wheels, but I like them, and well they are tons better than the wheels that came on my orbea lol