Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ahhh, no wonder! City's coldest winter in 40 years

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 03-03-19, 05:51 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts

So that is why it felt the way it did on the roads this year. The facial skin has really taken a beating. I'll admit, being this cold and also Canada's 4th windiest City makes me not want to ride in it. Yet, one must drag his carcasse from A to B somehow. In the future I won't be living here. I've had enough snow for this half of my life.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.5040320
Old 03-03-19, 06:30 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
When you ski downhill and get off a lift at top station, -30C (or close to it) is not that uncommon and in addition it might blow so that your head is about to fly off and maybe that head is not covered in any fashion because you did not take anything along, trusting some misguided forecast or not reading one. Some extreme weather people complain about in the flats can be bread and butter in skiing. Obviously those who do mountaineering encounter even harsher conditions, but they ask for it, while downhill skiing, at least in Europe where it is priced affordably, would be done by an average Joe.
Old 03-03-19, 06:53 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Hey, we're suffering in California too, we broke a 132 record in Los Angeles. It never hit 70 degrees once, during the entire month of Feb 2019.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...228-story.html
Home restaurant’s sprawling outdoor patio in Los Feliz, set under a canopy of large trees, was designed to take advantage of California’s temperate climate and typically sunny skies.But this February has been so cold that the restaurant scrambled to set up extra heaters outside the Craftsman-style house to keep diners and workers warm during the record-setting cold winter.“We had three heaters going for a while and this month it just hasn’t been enough,” said Sam Yoo, a manager at the restaurant. “I’m trying to have the waiters and hostesses wear warmer clothing, but I have one heater set up right by the host stand so they don’t catch colds.”For the first time since forecasters began recording data — at least 132 years — the mercury did not reach 70 degrees in downtown Los Angeles for the entire month of February.
Note: One day of data is missing from the year 1940. (Los Angeles Times)
The average high for the month was 61 degrees, significantly lower than the historical average of 68 for February. That makes it the eighth-coldest February on record, said Ryan Kittell, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Oxnard.
Old 03-04-19, 10:31 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts

Behold the Lake Superior Surfer.

@ Lemond
Ohhh, the suffering!

@ 2_i
I've dealt with the extreme cold for nearly 5 decades now. I figure that's a good enough tour of duty for a Mediterranean weather kind of guy. I have yet to get a proper balaclava setup though. Usually, just a good toque, a dickie and sometimes ski goggles. That's a fairly good combination, but the dickie gets all wet from expiration. Also, slathering coconut oil on the face beforehand really helps. I remember as way up north as a kid, we'd go out to school when it was -50. Walking through the wind break of the forest it was very still and tolerable.

I spoke with a black fellow last summer who was up here from Phoenix for some kind of football reunion. He said he couldn't wait to get back home because the humidity here was killing him! What??? Phoenix can be hot as hell, but it's dry. He couldn't handle the +28c with humidity. This place can be one of extremes, -40 to +40. Meanwhile Hawaii only varies 7 degrees all year. I've said to people that it has gotten far more humid up here (say increase over 15-20% of average) in the summers and this is just another anecdotal confirmation. One can only imagine what it's like in Louisiana in July. Give this guy 25 during the day and 15 at night!

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 03-04-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 12:59 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Well, that's impressive!

Hey, if it's at all encouraging, I hear the Winnipeg Jets are doing quite well this season. Come playoff time, a nice "polar vortex" will make for a nice home-ice advantage
Old 03-04-19, 01:00 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Hey, we're suffering in California too, we broke a 132 record in Los Angeles. It never hit 70 degrees once, during the entire month of Feb 2019.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...228-story.html
I heard that Los Angeles even caught some snow flakes this winter?