Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tires + mud + rock = drivetrain fun.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 02:59 PM
tclong03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Need help on finding a issue with this setup. A cx bike running 35 GK sk in rear with ok clearance. Last two rides with mud was bad. First one 100 feet into some tacky mud derailleur blows in back. Mud built up in normal spot on both rides. Last ride rock then mud not as tacky happened. This time chain wanted to be a rabbit on front small crank. Mud was really not bad cause on my bike i had no issues riding all of the road. The short of it what the hell is happening on this bike? Tires? Drivetrain? Clearance? We are stumped. Anyone have ideas?......

Tim
Old 07-09-19, 06:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
You might need to provide more detailed information in order to get helpful responses. For example, I don’t know what “rabbit“ means in this context. (Though perhaps others understand.) Also, how exactly did your rear derailleur “blow”?
Old 07-09-19, 06:44 AM
tclong03

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
On that 1st ride the derailleur got ripped to the side and broke off hanger. It was like someone grabbed it and yanked it off. The second ride was the chain would jump off on the front small crank constantly. Even with us stopping to clean mud out often. It is a sram rival groupset on cx bike. Mud was everywhere, even more so then it was on my bike. Only thing we can think is it was the gravel kings holding onto mud. I am running on clement mso.
Old 07-09-19, 07:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by tclong03
Need help on finding a issue with this setup. A cx bike running 35 GK sk in rear with ok clearance. Last two rides with mud was bad. First one 100 feet into some tacky mud derailleur blows in back. Mud built up in normal spot on both rides. Last ride rock then mud not as tacky happened. This time chain wanted to be a rabbit on front small crank. Mud was really not bad cause on my bike i had no issues riding all of the road. The short of it what the hell is happening on this bike? Tires? Drivetrain? Clearance? We are stumped. Anyone have ideas?......

Tim
Originally Posted by tclong03
On that 1st ride the derailleur got ripped to the side and broke off hanger. It was like someone grabbed it and yanked it off. The second ride was the chain would jump off on the front small crank constantly. Even with us stopping to clean mud out often. It is a sram rival groupset on cx bike. Mud was everywhere, even more so then it was on my bike. Only thing we can think is it was the gravel kings holding onto mud. I am running on clement mso.
So mud is building up on the rear triangle and, as expected, causing issues once built up?

Ideas-
- Dont ride thru the mud. hike-a-bike time.
- It could be the tires for sure. Change em and see. Mud build up, in my experience, happens regardless of tread type(i can get it on my gravel bike and MTB which have significantly different tread style/patterns) because some types of mud sticks to the tire and eventually gets caught against the stays or bridge and starts forcing more mud to accumulate like a snowball.
- See first idea.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-09-19, 09:02 AM
tclong03

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We just rode into mud and the problems happened real quick. But the chain drop part kept happeing with just a little bit of mud and still rideable.
Old 07-09-19, 09:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
yeah gotta keep the mud off the chain. some mud is worse than others. I'm gonna invent a mudguard that attaches to the screw under the bottom bracket to block mud flying off the front tire. until then I avoid the worst mud, which is also good for the trails (to stay off them when muddy)
Old 07-09-19, 01:55 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Look at how spaced the lugs are on a real mud tire like a clement pdx and then look at the SK. That is part of your problem. Either way though mud build up shouldn't cause the problems you're seeing if its only a small amount, just look at how much mud buildup there is during some cyclocross races on the drivetrains
Old 07-09-19, 04:40 PM
tclong03

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Look at how spaced the lugs are on a real mud tire like a clement pdx and then look at the SK. That is part of your problem. Either way though mud build up shouldn't cause the problems you're seeing if its only a small amount, just look at how much mud buildup there is during some cyclocross races on the drivetrains
Thats kind of what its looking like about the tires. Cause this is a cx bike, and just seems odd it has trouble with mud. The tires are 35s which measure close to 37s actual. So it is using up more room then what cx standard is usually. I know mud once gets so bad it has to be cleaned on any bike.