Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aggressive Walkers/Runners

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aggressive Walkers/Runners

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 11:42 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Wrong way on a one way (against the flow of traffic, irrespective of how many lanes in which directions). Gets calls to the police line, to deal with a deliberate wrong-way situation.

Around my area, many of the in-town roads are fairly narrow. Not designed for the width of an 18-wheeler; think more of a larger minivan. Bikes are lawfully approved for the right-most lane, in a given direction. Not pedestrians, walkers, skaters, the newer mini-electric type vehicles. I've stopped dead center in my own lane to await the passing or ejection of oncoming wrong-way folks. Most have gotten right out of the lane and onto the sidewalk where they belonged. A couple of flipped me the 'bird' and epithets ... while forced to do the same 'dance' with the next car, then the next, until they finally got a clue and exited the lane for the sidewalk.

I won't play the game. I'll stop if I see them there, and I'll await their exit. If they commit assault and battery upon me, I'll deal with that the moment it occurs (whatever's needed to halt it immediately). If they simply show their low-integrity, low-intelligence levels ... that's on them. I'll let the police deal with such people. (Fines for deliberate wanton creation of dangerous situations are rather steep, as is jail time.)

Doesn't happen often. Most people simply aren't that stupid.

Now, jaywalking blindly, in the dark, without visible clothing, without visible lighting or reflective gear, without a clue ... well, that happens constantly. Plenty of people get run over and die, in my area, due to such lunacy. A much bigger problem than people knowingly walking the wrong way down a lane of oncoming traffic.
Old 07-10-19, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Like I said. It's not that deep to take too serious.
So it's ok to make a sexist comment as long as it's shallow? Nice try. You can claim that wasn't your intent, but the "equal pay rally" crack pretty much clinched it.

I notice you can't really explain what the "shocked and surprised" reaction was. Let me guess--there really wasn't one, they just moved.
Old 07-10-19, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Wrong way on a one way (against the flow of traffic, irrespective of how many lanes in which directions). Gets calls to the police line, to deal with a deliberate wrong-way situation.

Around my area, many of the in-town roads are fairly narrow. Not designed for the width of an 18-wheeler; think more of a larger minivan. Bikes are lawfully approved for the right-most lane, in a given direction. Not pedestrians, walkers, skaters, the newer mini-electric type vehicles. I've stopped dead center in my own lane to await the passing or ejection of oncoming wrong-way folks. Most have gotten right out of the lane and onto the sidewalk where they belonged. A couple of flipped me the 'bird' and epithets ... while forced to do the same 'dance' with the next car, then the next, until they finally got a clue and exited the lane for the sidewalk.

I won't play the game. I'll stop if I see them there, and I'll await their exit. If they commit assault and battery upon me, I'll deal with that the moment it occurs (whatever's needed to halt it immediately). If they simply show their low-integrity, low-intelligence levels ... that's on them. I'll let the police deal with such people. (Fines for deliberate wanton creation of dangerous situations are rather steep, as is jail time.)

Doesn't happen often. Most people simply aren't that stupid.

Now, jaywalking blindly, in the dark, without visible clothing, without visible lighting or reflective gear, without a clue ... well, that happens constantly. Plenty of people get run over and die, in my area, due to such lunacy. A much bigger problem than people knowingly walking the wrong way down a lane of oncoming traffic.
Wow, you're like Gandhi or something! Such bravery in the face of joggers!

I don't know about you, but my riding time is too valuable to waste over stuff this petty.
Old 07-10-19, 11:54 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So it's ok to make a sexist comment as long as it's shallow? Nice try. You can claim that wasn't your intent, but the "equal pay rally" crack pretty much clinched it.

I notice you can't really explain what the "shocked and surprised" reaction was. Let me guess--there really wasn't one, they just moved.
In my experiences it's only been middle aged women blocking the path. Sorry that upsets you.

Edit: Actually not sorry.
Old 07-10-19, 12:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In my experiences it's only been middle aged women blocking the path. Sorry that upsets you.

Edit: Actually not sorry.
/ignore

I'm sure I won't be the last.
Old 07-10-19, 12:39 PM
Clyde1820

Wow, you're like Gandhi or something! Such bravery in the face of joggers!
Nice.

No, it's simply a matter of not generally being certain there's a safe spot in the crowded next lane, when such situations arise. Space gets tight, around these parts, and in the downtown district (where I was describing) betting wrong in such a situation can easily get one killed.

Hardly a question of your "bravery" euphemism. It's simple safe riding, not jerking aside to avoid two or three walkers/joggers oblivious to oncoming traffic, and ensuring I'm going as slowly as possible at the moment such idiots get close enough to hit.

Why not cease the snotty quips and allow the discussion to flow? Much better for everyone, and the discussion. Nicer, all the way around.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-10-19, 12:47 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have to say I hardly ever see runners in the street here and when I do they usually move over as much as possible. I'd never think of saying "get on the sidewalk" since I hear that enough myself, and they're allowed in the street anyway.

If I had bunches of them clogging up my lane I'd probably be annoyed. Even so, on the Greenway where I commute and sometimes run, even the big groups tend to be conscientious about getting out of the way. Maybe this is a cultural difference, Chicago vs South?
I don't think it's a cultural difference.

I lived in the City of Chicago for over a decade, and used to bike to work on occasion from North Side neighborhoods to River North (the busy area northwest of Chicago's "Loop" and adjacent to the Magnificent Mile). I've never seen the behavior the OP is describing. Granted, I never wanted to bike in to the Loop itself, and pedestrians could be considerably more aggressive there--where they are walking to and from the major commuter rail stations, etc.

Now I'm in the burbs near one of the original "Rail Trails" in the United States, the Illinois Prairie Path, and even though it is heavily used and frequently crowded, joggers and pedestrians are always cordial and move if you ring your bell or say a simple "on your left".
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 07-10-19, 02:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nice.

No, it's simply a matter of not generally being certain there's a safe spot in the crowded next lane, when such situations arise. Space gets tight, around these parts, and in the downtown district (where I was describing) betting wrong in such a situation can easily get one killed.

Hardly a question of your "bravery" euphemism. It's simple safe riding, not jerking aside to avoid two or three walkers/joggers oblivious to oncoming traffic, and ensuring I'm going as slowly as possible at the moment such idiots get close enough to hit.

Why not cease the snotty quips and allow the discussion to flow? Much better for everyone, and the discussion. Nicer, all the way around.
It's about safety? Because in the same post, you basically admitted you were risking someone getting into a physical confrontation with you. Got to tell you, if I was a cyclist behind you and now had not only to negotiate around the walker, but around you as you wait out your little stand-off, I would not be grateful for your intervention here. Basically, you're making the problem worse in the name of improving it.
Old 07-10-19, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I don't think it's a cultural difference.

I lived in the City of Chicago for over a decade, and used to bike to work on occasion from North Side neighborhoods to River North (the busy area northwest of Chicago's "Loop" and adjacent to the Magnificent Mile). I've never seen the behavior the OP is describing. Granted, I never wanted to bike in to the Loop itself, and pedestrians could be considerably more aggressive there--where they are walking to and from the major commuter rail stations, etc.

Now I'm in the burbs near one of the original "Rail Trails" in the United States, the Illinois Prairie Path, and even though it is heavily used and frequently crowded, joggers and pedestrians are always cordial and move if you ring your bell or say a simple "on your left".
Every time I see one of these "pedestrians are so awful" threads, it looks to me like a few people extrapolating way too much from a couple of incidents. It's very much like the ignorant blowhard driver railing on about lawless bicyclists.
Old 07-10-19, 02:19 PM
Clyde1820

It's about safety? Because in the same post, you basically admitted you were risking someone getting into a physical confrontation with you. Got to tell you, if I was a cyclist behind you and now had not only to negotiate around the walker, but around you as you wait out your little stand-off, I would not be grateful for your intervention here. Basically, you're making the problem worse in the name of improving it.
Incorrect.

Stopping before a blocked lane's occupants isn't deliberate risking of a confrontation. It's refusal to jet out into the neighboring lane that's occupied already with cars going much faster than I, and having little to nowhere to go.

You can disregard such conditions and make up some other scenario if you prefer, but then that'll be a different scenario. And different choices would be available.

But in a lane that's got a couple of people (or even a small group) deliberately disregarding traffic conditions and laws, in a situation as I described, there aren't many choices. Sure, IF there happened to be nearly no traffic and an easy "out" into the neighboring lane, only a fool would refuse to take that option. That's not the scenario I've described.
Old 07-10-19, 02:24 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i don't have a whole lot to add to this discussion, other than a link to an article about how running/walking in the street can actually be illegal in your area, so it's for sure worth checking into. as the article states, it's not like cops are out ticketing runners/walkers who are in the streets, but if an incident occurs, you can be held liable.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...g-in-the-road/

that said, i run in the road all the time. also, i don't run against traffic - i never realized that was a thing. is it supposed to be safer?
Old 07-10-19, 02:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Let's knock off the back and forth bickering.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-10-19, 03:41 PM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

/ignore

I'm sure I won't be the last.
Ostrich puts head in sand.
Old 07-10-19, 03:43 PM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Nice.

Poster must of had a traumatic experience on a path once.
Old 07-10-19, 08:22 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Let's knock off the back and forth bickering.
Ostrich puts head in sand.
Poster must of had a traumatic experience on a path once.
And you continue to post as such. Why?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 07-11-19, 06:35 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Lighten up Francis. The original comment in question did not appear to be sexist and your outraged response warranted the equal pay joke in response.
You keep on patrolling the interwebs though in your battle against social injustice
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-11-19, 06:45 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
+1

The sidewalk is probably the least desirable surface to run on.

-Tim-
FALSE!!

All surfaces are equally undesirably to run on.

I hate running.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-11-19, 07:36 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
And you continue to post as such. Why?
It's not that deep on my end. We good.

Last edited by CyclingFever; 07-11-19 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 07:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
that said, i run in the road all the time. also, i don't run against traffic - i never realized that was a thing. is it supposed to be safer?
Yes, you can see the cars coming and dodge if you need to, and you don't have to keep looking over your shoulder for right-turning cars at every intersection. But I do it too because I like to take my regular loop clockwise.

I'm only in the road on stretches where the sidewalk disappears, but the fact is regardless of sidewalk ordinances runners sometimes prefer the street and it's just another traffic factor to deal with. I don't check whether there's a sidewalk when I'm driving - or cycling - and think to myself "there could be a runner here with no sidewalk". I just deal with it when it comes up.
Old 07-11-19, 12:50 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
oh weird. on the off chance that a car comes flying onto the shoulder where i'm running, i don't think i'm going to have much luck dodging it. still, it's something to consider
Old 07-11-19, 03:07 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Suddenly, the conversation shifted to sidewalks having cracks and not being as level.

So, I mentioned that trail running and youth cross country running is a thing.
Speeds in what is literally called "road running" are substantially higher than in trail and cross country. In part for this reason.
Old 07-11-19, 11:26 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
It's not that deep on my end. We good.
Nope.

Perhaps it would benefit you to go over the forum guidelines that you agreed to when you signed up here.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-12-19, 12:19 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Speeds in what is literally called "road running" are substantially higher than in trail and cross country. In part for this reason.
Not that it matters to the point in question but I find I trail run much faster than road running. However, I do run further on roads than trails.

To the topic:

I just try to have a forgiving heart when it comes to people on the road. Few are trying to intentionally screw me over and most are only trying to be happy like I am. There are just too many people all trying to use the same surfaces for varying objectives. A few years ago I simply decided it's not my job to correct the world anymore and I'm a lot happier because of it.
Also, as a driver, cyclist, walker and runner.. its hard to know which group I'm supposed to be mad at.
Old 07-12-19, 04:02 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Not that it matters to the point in question but I find I trail run much faster than road running. However, I do run further on roads than trails.

To the topic:

I just try to have a forgiving heart when it comes to people on the road. Few are trying to intentionally screw me over and most are only trying to be happy like I am. There are just too many people all trying to use the same surfaces for varying objectives. A few years ago I simply decided it's not my job to correct the world anymore and I'm a lot happier because of it.
Also, as a driver, cyclist, walker and runner.. its hard to know which group I'm supposed to be mad at.
This.
I have logged a lot of miles running and cycling. On the roads, sidewalks, and trails.
It’s all good.
Old 07-12-19, 07:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Tell that to Eliud. Have you seen "Breaking 2" ? He's not exactly running on pristine blacktop back in Kenya when he does the training runs with his big group that leaves his house.

The runners I see running in the middle of the blacktop risking life/limb aren't going at a pace to even qualify as "running" versus jogging or a "trot".

I think they might be able to hold 10:00/mi for a minute or two. Maybe it's because they have crap form and are so out of shape they can't even get their feet from shuffling.

The fastest runners I've seen local to me use the public trail behind the house, the other long shaded public trail across town, or the local high school track after-hours. Definitely sub-3 pace runners for a marathon and folks who could BQ. Mind you, I don't care one bit if they run the blacktop in the neighborhood or wherever.........just GTFO the bike lanes.

Shoot, I came across a guy in the hilly gravel part of the state park while out riding that was running probably an 8:00/mi pace while juggling. Pretty sure he was that world record Guinness juggling runner guy training for the local off-road marathon race. He was doing quite fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.