Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Vineman Race Report....My first IM

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 03:05 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I completed my first IM. Although I suppose I can't exactly call myself an ironman, since it wasn't a WTC branded event, and of course, by slowtwitch standards, I think I have to be under 10 hours (or is it nine, or 8:30) to have really 'raced' an IM. Whatever.

Regardless, it went well. Vineman is in Windsor, CA, near Sonoma, and you ride through some beautiful wine country, and right by many famous vineyards. Makes for a nice ride, albeit hilly. Unfortunately, the run was not so scenic, and was oft accompanied by the smell of cow manure, or baby goats bleeting. Still fun though.

Swim was 1:20:44, which was certainly not blazing, but good enough to get me to T1. The Russian River was quite shallow, and at the turn around point, you almost had to walk, it was so shallow. My fingertips were not gently scraping against the bottom, rather my entire forearm was smacking the bottom in those spots. However, despite that, I kept swimming, and was faster than the people who walked.

T1 was 5:36, in which I put on a pair of bike shorts and a jersey over my tri suit. I've found in training, that for long rides, I am more comfortable like that.

The bike was great (for me) 5:43:35. Averaged about 19.5 mph, and passed a whole lot of people that swim faster than me. Got clipped by an RV around mile 25 (he passed to close, and the awning support sticking out the side brushed me) I managed to stay upright, and yelled and flipped the driver off. I'm sure he is hurt by it... Around mile 70, my rear wheel decided it didn't need one of it's spokes. Fortunately, the spoke did not get wrapped up in the cogs, or anything. I had to stop and thread it out, but got back on my way just fine, minus one spoke. Finished up, and realized T2 was still only lightly populated with bikes, so I must be doing well. And then I realized I still had to go jogging for a while. Bummer.

As I had dreaded, I basically exploded on the run. It was a three lap course, each lap approximately 8.7 miles. First lap was 1:24:40, which, if I could have kept that up, wouldn't have been terrible. Second and third laps, though were both in the 1:40 area. Oh well. I did managed to finish, though. Walked the hills, and jogged most of the rest.

Final time was 11:59:40. My soft goal was 12 hours, and my hard goal was 13. So, I made my soft goal by 20 seconds. Makes me happy. 109/684 overall, 99/423 in mens, and 31/114 in M35-39. I'm obviously not earning a Kona spot anytime soon, but I think I did well.

Nutrition worked out well: 1 clifshot block in T1, 10 GU shots on the bike and gatorade and water, and gatorade and cola at each aid station on the run. No intestinal problems at all, although I did have to stop at the last 4 aid stations on the third lap of the run and pee. Obviously, I was quite well hydrated.

Some memorable notes:

Did have to stop once on the run and sit down for a #2. I'm sitting in the portajohn, and I get really dizzy, and then I think to myself that if I pass out in the portajohn, no-one will know, and I will probably die in here. So, I took care of business, fought off the dizziness, and got back out of there and ran. Good thing!

At the distant turn around point on the run, saw the CHP officer who was directing traffic writing a ticket to two young gentlemen. Apparently it was either a DUI or open container bust, since there was a open can of budweiser on top of their car. Nice. Glad these two drunks didn't hit anyone for the portion of the course they had to drive on to get where they were currently at.

Bike course was quite scenic, as mentioned. Hills weren't to bad, at least compared to the Auburn Half (6000' of climbing in 56 miles) Vineman full has 4000' of climbing in 112.

Run course was stinky in spots, and the hills were no fun. Two quite steep spots, and the rest was rolling hills.

Next race (and I use race as a relative term) is the Pacific Grove Olympic Distance, and then in October, a MTB tri as part of Scott Tinleys Adventures. Then, finally, in November, IMAZ, where it's ok to call yourself an ironman afterwards. My goal for IMAZ is 11:30, which includes not blowing up on the run. So, more run training in my future.

Last edited by caelric; 08-06-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 03:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Congratulations, that's a good time and there's no difference between Vineman and a wtc event. I won't give you a hard time sporting IM gear
Old 08-02-09, 03:28 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! Good job out there. I did Vineman 70.3 two weeks ago and felt like dying due to the heat. I found the swim to be the best part of the race because it was indeed shallow and rather warm. I look forward to one day doing Vineman.
Old 08-02-09, 04:14 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of other things from a race report point of view:

Weather was great, the marine layer kept us covered and in the low 60's until about noon, or so, and then it started getting warm, but I think it never got beyond 80 or so. Other years have had 100+ temps, so we were lucky.

Bike course was rolling hills, only one really step part, but since the bike was sort of two laps, you went up the steep section twice.

Bike course was also very bumpy! The roads were all older and paved poorly. Certainly not cyclocross action, but pretty bumpy. And I bike commute 16 miles each way on county roads, so I am quite familiar with bumpy.

Run was hilly, as I said.

Race support was great. Aid stations every mile on the run, almost seemed like there were too many!

The lines for the portajohns at race start seemed shorter than other tris, perhaps due to the lesser amount of people, but there were plenty of portajohns either way.

The swim took place at Johnson's Beach on the Russian River. As I said, it was quite shallow, and the temp was around 73 or so. Wetsuit legal, but some folks choose to go without, and they were fine. me, I'm a crappy swimmer,a nd I need all the swimming help I can get!

Johnson's Beach is a misnomer, because the name 'beach' implies sand. No sand, only rocks and dirt. Some parts of T1 were covered by carpet, but there was no way to avoid getting rocky/dirty feet. I put my shoes on in T1, so it wasn't so bad, but if you are one of the tri shoes already strapped to pedals and run barefoot out of T1 kind of guys, it might not be the best place for that.

T2 was in a blacktop parking lot at Windsor High School, adjacent to the finish line. By the time I got there, the spare gels I had stashed there had completely melted. Sun and blacktop don't mix. I suppose if I had biked faster and got there sooner, it still would have been cloudy. Note to self: bike faster.

As I said, race support was great, and they had plenty of good food for athletes at the finish. Pasta sald, chicken breasts, burgers, plus all the normal stuff (cookies, bananas, brownies, etc...) Much better than the dominoes pizza in a box that was at the Oceanside 70.3 (an IM branded event, I might add)

All in all, despite being a smaller, non WTC branded IM (or perhaps because of it), Vineman was a well put on, thoroughly enjoyable event, that I would highly recommend for anyone's first IM (or second, or third, or etc...) I'll be back next year, most likely.
Old 08-05-09, 05:20 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'll call you an Ironman even if you don't want to Sounds like you had a great race.

As a kid, we used to drive up to the Russian River for vacation, so Johnson's Beach is still a beach to me.
Old 08-05-09, 07:03 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
Well, I'll call you an Ironman even if you don't want to Sounds like you had a great race.

As a kid, we used to drive up to the Russian River for vacation, so Johnson's Beach is still a beach to me.
Just a little jab at the people who think the ironman trademark is all important.

Thanks, it was a great race, and I will do it again next year.
Old 08-06-09, 01:53 AM
Blossom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is awesome... congratulations!
Old 08-06-09, 05:57 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
Just a little jab at the people who think the ironman trademark is all important.

Thanks, it was a great race, and I will do it again next year.
If the logo is on any product sold at Wal-Mart, the trademark can not possibly be important.

Congrats, man. I wish I had time in my schedule to train for an IM. Maybe someday...
Old 08-06-09, 07:07 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Congratulations. Great race report too - best of luck with the next one(s).
Simon
Old 08-06-09, 08:12 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
I'm sitting in the portajohn, and I get really dizzy, and then I think to myself that if I pass out in the portajohn, no-one will know, and I will probably die in here.
I've been *there* before

Nice, well executed "race" Congratulations!
Old 08-06-09, 11:30 AM
brian669

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good job man. for some reason i always thought vineman was an ironman event. either way if you finish an ironman, you are an ironman, i don't care what the slowtwitch geeks say. have fun with the mtb tri and good luck at imaz. stay hydrated!
Old 08-06-09, 11:31 AM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Vineman 70.3 (half iron) is an official WTC trademarked IM event. The full Vineman is not. Anyways, thanks, it was a great experience!
Old 08-07-09, 11:27 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on completing the Vineman! Who cares if it's an M. event or not? Was out there cheering on my Sister as she competed in and completed her first IM event. She did the Wildflower half back in May.

Thought Vineman was a very nice event, would love to try it some day.