Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Tailwind Revew

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Schwinn Tailwind Revew

Old 01-15-19, 10:20 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Update: Still using the Schwinn electric for a grocery getter. Two problems occurred early in 2018:

First, the battery charge indicator revived, and is now on continuous. Just 5 LEDs. supposed to come on with a push button & go off when released. Lights go out 1 by 1 as charge drops. Mine are now on continuous, like leaving a blinkie light on. Parasitic drain discharges battery in 4 or 5 days, but I start with a full charge and 1 or 2 hours later still working normally.

Second problem was more serious. Battery went dead & wouldn't charge. Took it apart & found 1 cell bad(read 18 volts, rest were 2.6 volts). I bypassed it and every thing works again. Just tops out at 24 volts instead of 26.5 or so. Charging still 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Medium setting + pedal assist must not tax the battery and motor much, as performance seems unchanged. Range may be reduced, but I still haven't ridden more than 12 miles at a stretch and after that use still shows 1/2 charge.

Lithium Titanate Battery has only a 4 AH capacity, so if it dies, I plan a 10 AH replacement. edit: While battery was apart, I tried bypassing the failed charge indicator, but then nothing worked, so put it back the way it was and just use as is. Do a full charge right before any use. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 01-15-19 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 11:42 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In looking at the layout, it is very reminiscent of the Dutch Gazelle. Horse shoe lock, front motor, etc.

They work great as a commuter, and the little front motor gives 2-wheeled drive in snow. Most Dutchies I know use PAS 1 and get quite good range
Old 01-15-19, 12:50 PM
dilkes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Second problem was more serious. Battery went dead & wouldn't charge. Took it apart & found 1 cell bad(read 18 volts, rest were 2.6 volts). I bypassed it and every thing works again. Just tops out at 24 volts instead of 26.5 or so. Charging still 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Medium setting + pedal assist must not tax the battery and motor much, as performance seems unchanged. Range may be reduced, but I still haven't ridden more than 12 miles at a stretch and after that use still shows 1/2 charge.
If you took one of the cells of the series out and are using the same charger, is there not a risk of overcharging the remaining cells?
Old 01-15-19, 02:18 PM
ollo_ollo

As I said, I'm not an electrician, but do know that chargers do their thing by providing DC current a few volts higher than the batteries being charged. The charger shuts down once a certain level of voltage is reached. On my car, the charger I use produces 14 volts and depending on age/condition the 12 volt battery charges until battery is at 12.6-13.6 volts. Don't even know what voltage this charger works at, although when new, battery measured 26.5-27 volts after charger shut off automatically, so probably about 28 volts.

Been using it this way for about 10 months without problems, so the charger's management system is handling things OK.

One thing I liked about the Lithium Titanate battery system is its stability and safety. Also takes high charge rates. Read about it here:
https://www.batteryspace.com/Lithium...e-Battery.aspx Don
Old 01-15-19, 05:01 PM
ollo_ollo

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
In looking at the layout, it is very reminiscent of the Dutch Gazelle. Horse shoe lock, front motor, etc. They work great as a commuter, and the little front motor gives 2-wheeled drive in snow. Most Dutchies I know use PAS 1 and get quite good range
Looks good, but pricey. By now, probably have a much better product than mine which was designed around 10 or 11 years ago...I followed a couple other links & saw there is a Stella electric bike selling in Nederlands. I have a 1972 Stella, so glad to see them back even if in name only. I like their Copenhagen model and only 999 Euros looks pretty good. Much like my Tailwind. Tried to find out more about the Shimano batteries, specs they show look good, but don't say what chemistry of batteries is. Don
Old 01-15-19, 05:43 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
As I said, I'm not an electrician, but do know that chargers do their thing by providing DC current a few volts higher than the batteries being charged. The charger shuts down once a certain level of voltage is reached. On my car, the charger I use produces 14 volts and depending on age/condition the 12 volt battery charges until battery is at 12.6-13.6 volts. Don't even know what voltage this charger works at, although when new, battery measured 26.5-27 volts after charger shut off automatically, so probably about 28 volts.

Been using it this way for about 10 months without problems, so the charger's management system is handling things OK.

One thing I liked about the Lithium Titanate battery system is its stability and safety. Also takes high charge rates. Read about it here:
https://www.batteryspace.com/Lithium...e-Battery.aspx Don
One cell out and you are definitely hot charging the remaining cells. Can they handle it - sure. They have been for 10 months. Will it be the best, prolly not ... Can you get the numbers off the cell?

Batteries Plus near Boston Mass may have a replacement cell. Or they could steer you toward the right supplier
Old 01-15-19, 07:18 PM
ollo_ollo

When these bikes were new, Schwinn advertised the Lithium Titanate battery's ability to take a high rate charge from a commercial charger to cut the 30 minute full re-charge time down to only 10 minutes. Going down from 10 cells to 9 should still be OK by my math, as only a 10% change. This is a strength of this chemistry & why Toshiba used it. Been used in the Prius long enough to show its safe.

If I take the battery pack apart again, I'll get the info & maybe replace the bad cell. If you take a look at Syonyck's blog entry on the battery, you will see just how many screws have to be removed and put back again to do anything with the individual cells. Takes quite a while and I just don't see a need right now. Don