Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I think it is too cold to ride.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 01:30 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

In the middle of two straight weeks of highs below freezing, and I don't have a good way to ride any real speed or distances without risking frostbite. So I am running instead, which is less exciting.
Old 01-01-18, 01:42 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I rode yesterday with windchills in the teens...texas. Just put on more clothes and go for it. Come home if/when you are not having fun yet.
Old 01-01-18, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
been having seemingly never ending excuses not to ride despite good intentions. today had to do something about the steady breeze from the from door making our heat kick on seemingly continuously. bought 3 kinds of weather striping & a door knob. problem solved but I'm not riding, yet again
Old 01-01-18, 02:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by bcpriess
So I am running instead
outside? isn't that like cycling outside? meaning if you can gear up for that, how different would cycling be?
Old 01-01-18, 03:41 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It iS too cold to ride (at least in Vermont). Bad for the rider, bad for the bike. Dangerous on a number of levels. I haven't even been seeing fat bikes lately.
Old 01-01-18, 05:42 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
outside? isn't that like cycling outside? meaning if you can gear up for that, how different would cycling be?
As another person that runs/cycles, I would definitely rather be out running than cycling when it gets cold. Adding about 8-10mph avg speed while cycling (vs running) effectively increases the wind chill effect, making it consierably colder.

Today the high here was 10F. Too cold for me to want to do either, I rode my trainer!
Old 01-01-18, 07:50 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I got sick trying to man it out at 20s in KS (a week ago) and 30s in TX (back from holidays). and I agree running is much better than cycling because of the wind

it's a nation wide cold front right? expect it to get better soon. besides, january is when the days get longer and temps get warmer, right?
Old 01-01-18, 08:24 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I did get out yesterday for a few miles in 11 F weather, but I lean more toward walking and snowshoeing when it's that cold. When I bike, it's usually just for fun around town with friends, or for a short errand.
Old 01-01-18, 09:09 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I used to run cross-country and track in high school, and I've been a year-round bike commuter for 25 years, with a low temp threshold of 10F. Besides the "steady breeze" adding an additional potential chill factor (depending on how you dress), my thumbs get cold below 12F regardless of handwear (gloves or mittens) or handlebars (straight or drop); I think it has to do with weight and pressure on the hands impinging circulation. This also goes for the feet which have more constant pressure on them while cycling than the more stacatto contact of running.

I also think running warms the body better as both legs and arms are in constant motion and there is no "coasting" as opposed to cycling where the arms don't really move as much.
Old 01-01-18, 09:50 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Today in STL the high was 10 and the low was 3, we've been in this range for a few days. Although I technically *can* run in that, the layering up, fogging of my glasses, air entering my lung etc makes it unpleasant, and difficult to maintain a cardio intensity. 10F is usually my running threshold. I think for the reasons mentioned above...feet and hands being relatively immobile compared to running...my hands and feet get cold quick on a bike if it's below freezing in spite of insulated gear, as does the part of my face that is exposed. Wind speed makes it really unpleasant, particularly if it's the cold/humid combo that is common here and that finds a way to seep in.
Old 01-02-18, 06:23 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
too cold, never!!!
bad gear Always!

below zero is definitely begging for a singlespeed bike though. and probably mechanical disc brakes. I am divided on drop bar. flat bar. both offer bar mitt options.

I need to ditch the balaclava and just sew/glue a face shield onto the bottom of my goggles to cover face.

I say bad gear, only because I typically ride somewhere in the above 20 range. -10 + is really pushing into a gear/equipment range that I don't have.
Attached Images
Old 01-02-18, 08:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
-18deg currently.

Jan 1st high of -1deg
Dec 31st high of -2deg
Dec 30th high of 5deg

Whether ill have time after work to ride outside isnt even the 100th thing on my mind. Ill jump on my trainer and spin. Only decision to make is if ill watch something on hulu or netflix.
Old 01-02-18, 10:03 AM
Metieval

there is another side to this, the money spent on winter gear/maintenance would easily buy someone a new bike A REALLY nice new bike come spring.
Old 01-02-18, 10:29 AM
rumrunn6

thinking about using toe warmers sitting inside at my desk today
Old 01-02-18, 10:31 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Metieval
gear
brutal! & do you need a bigger helmet? looks like a lot of air space between your covered head & the inside top of the helmet
Old 01-02-18, 11:05 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
brutal! & do you need a bigger helmet? looks like a lot of air space between your covered head & the inside top of the helmet
no on the bigger helmet, that helmet is seriously rolled back in the Photo.

If I recall, I went to take it off, forgot it was clasped, I felt my goggles while reaching for the strap, and decided to take a photo. Matter of fact I normally don't ride with the straps that loose either, but any tighter and it pulls the balaclava in and smashes my nose.

I see people ride with helmets cocked back like that and It kills me.

I am almost between sizes on Giro. a Large will fall down to my eyebrows, and almost won't tighten enough. So medium is correct, when sitting on head correctly.
You've a Good eye
Old 01-02-18, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In the middle of two straight weeks of highs below freezing, and I don't have a good way to ride any real speed or distances without risking frostbite.

OK, I live by the Ocean, on the west coast..
Old 01-03-18, 09:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
The gravel here is now under snow. Actually, if it's ridable, it's probably under ice. i don't have studded tires on my gravel bike, so it would have to be mountain bike or fat bike for me. I'm mostly riding the trainer though. Probably be icy conditions until sometime in March.

I have ridden to work in -20F weather. Fortunately, at that temp there was no wind. i feel that is a little dangerous though. I got frostbite doing that, and it didn't take long at all. Less than a minute before I felt my skin burning.

I have ridden my fatbike in the low teens. That isn't so bad. I think I probably would cut off at 10F. I have some really heavy winter cycling boots.
Old 01-03-18, 10:55 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
I rode yesterday with windchills in the teens...texas. Just put on more clothes and go for it. Come home if/when you are not having fun yet.
Windchills in the teens means temps in the 20's. Much different than temps below zero. I had a good ride in mid-20's to work, but I won't ride when its close to zero.
Old 01-03-18, 11:45 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
there is another side to this, the money spent on winter gear/maintenance would easily buy someone a new bike A REALLY nice new bike come spring.
Nonsense. All you really need in addition to basic cold weather clothing is a $40 worth of goggles/balaclava off of amazon. That will get you through the winter.

I was riding last week when it was sub zero here in Chicago. People think you're crazy for cycling...but it really isn't any different than skiing.

All you're really doing by throwing extra money at the issue is reducing bulkiness.

I will throw a nod to good baselayers though. Nice ones make a difference.
Old 01-03-18, 11:57 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
In the middle of two straight weeks of highs below freezing, and I don't have a good way to ride any real speed or distances without risking frostbite. So I am running instead, which is less exciting.
I've been doing the same thing, running instead of biking. But I rode to work today now that it's warmed up a little in Chicago (to 15º)... and I've found that running has made my legs weaker on the bike! Weird.
Old 01-03-18, 12:10 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by 12strings
Windchills in the teens means temps in the 20's. Much different than temps below zero. I had a good ride in mid-20's to work, but I won't ride when its close to zero.
I don't find wind chill to matter at all really if you just cover everything up...

The headwind still pisses me off in general though lol
Old 01-03-18, 02:22 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
My problem is feet. I guess I should stop using clipless pedals in the winter, and or find thicker shoes.

Motorcycle helmet and down hill goggles are popular around here.
Old 01-03-18, 02:53 PM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Nonsense. All you really need in addition to basic cold weather clothing is a $40 worth of goggles/balaclava off of amazon. That will get you through the winter.

I was riding last week when it was sub zero here in Chicago. People think you're crazy for cycling...but it really isn't any different than skiing.

All you're really doing by throwing extra money at the issue is reducing bulkiness.

I will throw a nod to good baselayers though. Nice ones make a difference.

Do you typically use ski gloves or do you go for pogies?
Old 01-03-18, 03:55 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by chas58
My problem is feet. I guess I should stop using clipless pedals in the winter, and or find thicker shoes.

Motorcycle helmet and down hill goggles are popular around here.
Originally Posted by cobra_kai
Do you typically use ski gloves or do you go for pogies?
I used to have hand/feet issues. I have some mild circulation issues in my legs, so my left foot used to just get frozen after 30 minutes out in the cold.

I just don't mess around now. For feet, I have a big 800gram thinsulate heavy boot I wear with 2 pairs of socks, 1 of which is a heavyweight wool sock. For hands, I have a medium weight glove underneath ski gloves that are a size too big. Hands and feet are now nice and toasty when it's 0F. Which leads to the main issue with winter...

Gearing up is just a massive pain in the ass. It really isn't cold when you're out on the bike. It's all the other annoying things. Fogging goggles, spending 15 minutes putting on 2 pairs of socks, then my storm trooper boots, wool long johns, then pants, then wind pants, then wool t-shirt, sweater, windbreaking softshell, thin balaclava, thick fleece balaclava, goggles, helmet, 2 pairs of gloves. Deciding I have to pee and redoing everything before I get out the door. Then feeling like Ralphie from A Christmas Story while riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.