Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where should bikes be stored?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where should bikes be stored?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 07:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone

Hypothetically?
bikes would be stored to allow their easy exit and entry,
perhaps on ground level floor.
you want to make it easy for her to get her bike out to ride and bring it in after ride.
make sure she has a fairly expensive bike that she really likes.
problem will solve itself.
together with my bike riding partner, 35 years.

her favorite bike is a high end, weights next to nothing carbon wonder.
depending upon weather and riding plans, she parks it under a second story sun room
or hangs it in the walk out basement among our other toys/tools.
remember, approach this from an operational perspective.
Echos my comments earlier!

Originally Posted by scott967
Around here $500k gets you a 3BR with carport. I would not store bikes in a carport (though some people here do). I have a 2 car garage, and I just roll bikes in/out. I have my tools and work bench here. Don't see any reason to put bikes in the house. I don't even have any steps to enter but just too much hassle, rolling across the carpet or floor probably not the best idea.
This is a good point, house prices vary so much around the US. In NC, $500K will get you A LOT of house - we looked at a relo from Minneapolis to Charlotte a few years back, I was blown away with what you could get in NC for the same $$$ versus MN. That said, NC doesn't have basements so garage space is typically storage space. We were oddballs looking for a 3-car garage in NC to actually store our 3 cars. That said, based what I've seen in the southeast, you can easily get a house with enough space for an indoor bike storage space - like a bonus room.

Lastly, likely repeating myself, storing 'nice' bikes inside a 'nice' house is acceptable. But it would be totally unacceptable to keep a Walmart bike inside a $500K house
Old 08-30-18, 07:24 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts

50+ posts and no pic????

Bikes belong in your best room, inside.

Old 08-30-18, 09:00 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Our garage is a 100+ year old carriage house that is not attached. The cheaper kids bikes stay in there but the expensive adult bikes both mine and the wifey's stay in the basement. Any thieves would have to make it past the Doberman and the louder St Bernard mix. In the garage, they could in theory break in from the alley and we would probably not find out until we woke up in the morning. So we don't keep a lot of value out there.
Old 08-30-18, 09:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think ypu should make this a poll for men that have remained happily married for 7 years or more.
Old 08-30-18, 09:36 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Bikes in the house only if there is absolutely no other option, and considering the price range of your plans, you just have to make the other options possible. Garage, stand-alone workshop, or any other structure that you can retreat to when necessary.
Old 08-30-18, 09:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
now , 70 no GF but briefly, for a long time (decades) so Entry has a bike or 2 in the mudroom .

and housekeeping is Lax. (my house was low cost,for west coast ,
under $100K 1brm virtually no yard)

a bike like Brompton , folds up , and can be hidden in a box with a seat on top ,
so be Furniture..

pick a house with a place for a proper Man Cave rather than just having a Shed/Garage..
especially if that garage has to also keep the car and have the door left open ,
[a common thief's opening]

If house has only a garage, remove the garage door, frame in the opening
make a wall, to only have a double 2 30" wide entry doors..

cars can stay outside..

Old 08-30-18, 10:12 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm asking for opinions here. I've been dating a lovely lady bicyclist for several months now. The relationship has been progressing nicely, and we've begun negotiations on mutually acceptable conditions for cohabitation. We have the expectation that we will, sometime in the near future, buy and move into our "retirement house". Since we're going to combine our equity from our respective previous houses, we're looking for a nicer home on the waterfront, perhaps $450,000 to $500,000, of a size to accommodate visiting family, etc.

We've hit a bit of a pothole in the negotiations, having to do with the future location of bicycle storage within the house. Specifically, I want to have one room in the house dedicated to working out, with weight bench, etc. In that room, I want to hang all our bikes from the ceiling or mounted on the walls.

She says that this is impossible. According to her, bikes belong in the garage or in a storage building. To me, this is like making my children (if I had any) sleep outside in a tent.

It is worth noting, although perhaps not relevant, that in my current home I have all my bikes hanging in what was formerly the dining room. I got rid of the table and chairs, installed ceiling hooks and my seven bikes line two of the walls. It's a beautiful thing.

So my question is for those of you who are 30 years old or older, who live in a house (not apartment or condo).

Do bikes belong in the house or should they be relegated to the garage or storage building?
LOLOL.... I recently had this come up at my house. Although not married, my girlfriend didn't like the bike on the four season porch or in the hallway. Our kids come and go on the weekends so turning a bedroom into a bike area and wheeling them across the white carpet was a no go. Luckily I have a big enough garage that this weekend my son and I are building a room for bicycles and bicycle parts, tools, etc etc. When our conversation came down to "you want the bikes in the house, then you clean the house", I gladly gave in.
Old 08-30-18, 10:13 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
bikes in the garage, car outside
Old 08-30-18, 11:34 AM
deathcrow76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You gotta pick your battles man. I'd let this one go.....anyways later you can use "well remember when I gave in and put the bikes in the garage" to get something else you want
Old 08-30-18, 11:56 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
My bikes are in the unfinished areas in the basement. That is the easiest way to get them out of the house to go riding. I don't have enough room in the garage to store them and certainly would not store them in the green house during the winter, that's the only unattached building from the house. I don't like my bikes stored in the cold temps, it seems that it has bad affect on the chrome on the steel frames.
Old 08-30-18, 05:42 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by deathcrow76
You gotta pick your battles man. I'd let this one go.....anyways later you can use "well remember when I gave in and put the bikes in the garage" to get something else you want
Not if your bike is your pride and joy. Besides, this is a bad omen. The one where the female tries to bend the will of the male to her way of thinking. In reality its not about the bike, its about control. This will only get worse with time. Get out while you can.
Old 08-31-18, 01:07 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by deathcrow76
This is just plain passive aggressive game playing. You don't need to give up something to get what you want if what you want isn't onerous or harmful. Why not be honest and just say this is something I value period. While perhaps not what she is used to, it isn't harmful or bizarre - just a room for his hobby.

My wife recently remodeled our guest room in old antique style. I didn't agree with that because I wanted to use it as some bargaining chip down the road; I agreed because I knew it would make her happy and.. I want her to be happy. Our rules for such things are simple: Can we afford it? Does it put us at risk? Do you really want it? If the answers line up and the spouse is willing to put in the effort to make it happen - go for it! The other day she said she wanted to plan to buy a camperized van for some crazy amount of money. I laughed because we can't currently afford such a thing but also said, "Ok, if you figure out how to do it". The scary part is she is really good at that sort of thing...

As older mature adults the time for game playing is past I would hope. We should know what we want, be able to articulate it honestly, and be able to respect the harmless passions of our partners because our motivation is to help them be happy.
Old 08-31-18, 02:36 AM
KraneXL

Its good that you can work things out but just keep in mind that that wasn't an agreement, it was a submission.
Old 08-31-18, 04:05 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
IMO, the bikes belong in the garage or an unfinished area of the house. And, if the image of the bikes hanging from the wall was supposed to be a selling point, it did the opposite for me.
Old 08-31-18, 04:09 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
The unsolicited relationship advise is interesting to read, considering the divorce rate in the US is near 50%.
Old 08-31-18, 04:16 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by 02Giant
IMO, the bikes belong in the garage or an unfinished area of the house. And, if the image of the bikes hanging from the wall was supposed to be a selling point, it did the opposite for me.
Its not about the bike Jeeves.
The unsolicited relationship advise is interesting to read, considering the divorce rate in the US is near 50%.
So there's no loss. Incidentally, that figure is just within the first 5 years.
Old 08-31-18, 05:59 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Mine are in the garage or in the enclosed porch/workout area...traffic in the house (despite being a big house) causes me to move them too much. My day is such that I see them where they are everyday and that's enough...they are bikes.
Old 08-31-18, 07:18 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Not on subject, but the 50% stat is inaccurate.

According to 2009 data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the average percent of all marriages that have ever ended in divorce is 30.8 percent, says Feldhahn. But that's all marriages—the first, second, third, and tenth marriages. What most people are interested in are first marriages.According to that same data set, on average, 72 percent of people are still married to their first spouse.
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/rela...te-statistics/

BTW I think OP was soliciting advise, about bikes in reference to their relationship....
Old 08-31-18, 07:46 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Honestly, I never thought people kept bikes in the finished part of a house unless they were 1) single and/or 2) have no other secure place to store them.

The only other exception I can see is either a man cave/hobby room assuming you can get the bike(s) to that room without rolling them through the living areas of the house.

Our bikes live in the garage. Much easier to check the tires, jump on and go for a ride.
Old 08-31-18, 08:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Honestly, I never thought people kept bikes in the finished part of a house unless they were 1) single and/or 2) have no other secure place to store them.

The only other exception I can see is either a man cave/hobby room assuming you can get the bike(s) to that room without rolling them through the living areas of the house.

Our bikes live in the garage. Much easier to check the tires, jump on and go for a ride.
It depends on the house, some houses make it very easy to keep bikes inside, some houses make it hard to keep bikes inside.

And not all bikes are created equal, some bikes make less mess in the house than my dogs:

Other bikes are too dirty to keep in the garage:

Old 08-31-18, 08:31 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I was married in front of a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

I keep my "good" bike in my back room/office where during the winter I ride it on a trainer. My beater bike stays in a shed outside.
Old 08-31-18, 10:23 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
When the question seems hard, the answer is always easy when you find it.

You just haven't found the right house yet. When you do, the answer will be obvious.
Old 08-31-18, 11:02 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I gotta say that the contributions to this thread have been both entertaining and illuminating. My GF learned that I'm not the only one who thinks bicycles belong in the house when possible, although I do seem to be in the minority on that issue. I learned that everyone posting here does NOT consider a bicycle to be a work of art (which would mean it is therefore deserving of space on a wall to enrich the daily lives of those who view it).

Regardless of our differing views on the subject, my GF and I reached agreement. She accepts that there MAY be an appropriate and logical room (not in bedroom, kitchen, hallways, dining or living room) in our future house in which we will store, but not clean or perform maintenance upon the bicycles. I accept that the clutter of spare parts, tools and various other items will be stored in the garage where bike maintenance will also be performed. The bikes themselves may also be stored in the garage if no suitable room exists in the house itself. (The house would have to be extremely desirable in every other attribute, location and price, for this to happen.)

Also, she wanted it to be known that in the bonus room of her current house (FROG), she has had her favorite bike on a trainer for years. So she isn't totally against bikes in the house. It simply has to make sense to keep them there. I had forgotten to mention that, probably because I abhor riding a trainer or any indoor bike. We live in Carolina, so it's never more than a few days of bad weather until we can ride outside again, so....

Of course I will tally the results of my inquiry and post the summary this weekend sometime. I will also try to categorize and tally the relationship advice received, which seemed to fall into one of two categories: 1) Do What She Says If You Know What's Good For You, and 2) Stand Up For Your Rights (or Stand Your Ground). Very Amusing.
Old 08-31-18, 11:05 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
When the question seems hard, the answer is always easy when you find it.

You just haven't found the right house yet. When you do, the answer will be obvious.
That's exactly what I told her last night. Actually, we haven't seen any houses in person yet; only online shopping thus far.
Old 08-31-18, 11:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
That's exactly what I told her last night. Actually, we haven't seen any houses in person yet; only online shopping thus far.
In 2,000, my wife and I had to sell off our 5 bedroom house and find a condo to live in on a short time frame. At the time, we probably had 8 to 10 bikes including a tandem so bicycle storage was a major consideration. We found a nice condo that had a 2 car garage with a separate shop/ storage room. If we could find the "right" place with a short time span and a relatively limited budget, I'm thinking it should be a piece of cake for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.