Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

2018 Industry Figures: 78% Increase in E-Bike Sales$: All Other Categories in Decline

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

2018 Industry Figures: 78% Increase in E-Bike Sales$: All Other Categories in Decline

Old 04-11-19, 03:41 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Don't worry, these electric bike thingies are a compete waste of time and won't last. They do everything a bike should not, as in use non-renewable energy for no benefiit to the planet whatsoever. I'm comfortable for people over 70, once they've been vetted and passed OK by their Drs, to be granted a permit to use these ill-begotten means of transport, but, apart from that, what's the point? What worries me more are the scooters and other two wheel devices you see on the pavements everywhere these days, weaving in and out of the pedestrian traffic. These devices should require a licence, and should either be restricted to the roads or cycle lanes.

The other point is, of course, that disposing of these things creates yet another pollutant we could well do without, in the form of the batteries.
I live 19 miles from my office, have land and kids to take care of as well. When I commute by bike work+commute equals my whole day. I am looking at electric bikes so I can bike, work, bike, mow the lawn, play with the kids, etc. Right now I am pushing 5K lbs of steel 38 miles a day, which do you think will be better for the planet, me charging my bike against hydropower produced (well mostly here in Oregon) electricity vs a gallon of gasoline.

Yeah yeah I know I should move closer to work. Except my work can transfer me to any office within 45 miles of my duty station. So lets say I sell my house, buy another house and spend twenty grand and change to real estate fees (conservatively) uproot my kids from their school and then get stationed by my old house?

Also houses with 5 bedrooms are pretty pricey near the urban core. Houses with five bedrooms and a yard more so. I get 15 acres and 5 bedrooms for what I would pay for 3 bedrooms and a postage stamp in town.
Old 04-11-19, 03:43 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
E-bike sales would probably be doing even better if there weren't so many haters. As if their popularity is in some way threatening to those using manual bikes..

I have to say though, i only see this on forums. I use an e-bike daily, and i get no hate at all, people love it. Especially when my kid's on the back.
I

I have to agree: buying an ebike does not mean I want to quit regular biking. I want a ebike so I can get some pedaling in during he week.
Old 04-11-19, 05:44 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
I live 19 miles from my office, have land and kids to take care of as well. When I commute by bike work+commute equals my whole day. I am looking at electric bikes so I can bike, work, bike, mow the lawn, play with the kids, etc. Right now I am pushing 5K lbs of steel 38 miles a day, which do you think will be better for the planet, me charging my bike against hydropower produced (well mostly here in Oregon) electricity vs a gallon of gasoline.

Yeah yeah I know I should move closer to work. Except my work can transfer me to any office within 45 miles of my duty station. So lets say I sell my house, buy another house and spend twenty grand and change to real estate fees (conservatively) uproot my kids from their school and then get stationed by my old house?

Also houses with 5 bedrooms are pretty pricey near the urban core. Houses with five bedrooms and a yard more so. I get 15 acres and 5 bedrooms for what I would pay for 3 bedrooms and a postage stamp in town.
Try living in my town - ten years the average wage for a 2-bed flat, and you'll pay four times that in London. Britain is wrecked.
Old 04-11-19, 06:41 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Try living in my town - ten years the average wage for a 2-bed flat, and you'll pay four times that in London. Britain is wrecked.

Hey I made the decision to have 5 kids. No one to blame but myself... well my wife helped a bit

But yeah I get your point: I lived in Portland Oregon (USA) for 17 years. my old house that I sold for 150K is is now worth $400K. It is a two bedroom. I cannot afford to live there with kids. Relocated to Eugene (a city of 120K twenty miles south) and could;t afford a four bedroom there either. Well I could but just barely and only a one needing a lot of work. So I bought out of town and fell into this place. Oregon is a desirable place to live and lots of people keep moving here. I could live in town and have one kid, but that ship has sailed the hospital won't take them back, so here we are. I would love to live closer to work but I try and just do the best I can with what I have you know? While I was not an ebike fan when I lived in a big city now I think they could play a major role in changing transportation. If I could get rid of one car (kind of a stretch) it would save me like ten grand a year. I am shooting for 100 commutes a year by bike which would save me $1850/year in gas and wear and tear on the car. Plus I could keep the car for an extra 5 years meaning I could buy my next car just before I retire. That would be a huge savings too.
Old 04-11-19, 10:14 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 372 Posts
I ride bicycles and motorcycles and believe that we all benefit from more two-wheeled vehicles on the road because drivers are more aware of us and governments feel more compelled to provide for our safety. More ebikes just helps our case.
Old 05-02-19, 03:56 AM
BikeTall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I would love to try an ebike for touring. But i do a lot of international touring, and from what i understand, none of the airlines let you bring an ebike on a plane. So thats a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise, i am all for new tech.
Old 05-02-19, 05:54 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
You can build a DIY bike and use the batteries from ebikesca, which are modular with each "cell unit" of 98 watt hours being airline-legal AFAIK.