Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Tri season upon us.

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Tri season upon us.

Old 04-04-19, 07:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Tri season upon us.

It's a little dusty here in the Tri forum. Understandably not much activity during the (northern hemisphere) winter. But it's spring and tris are beginning to happen a little farther to the south. I live in New England so I think races are still about a month away. At least that's the indication I've received according to the adverts for local races I've received.

Due to injuries...I haven't done a tri in a couple of seasons, but I'm considering some sprints again this summer. Before that I was doing a handful of sprints each summer. In March of 2017 I tore a meniscus. Consequently I wasn't able to do any tris that summer. Then, in March of 2018 I had hip replacement surgery. Expect for a slight layoff from the bike in both situations...I have continue cycling and swimming with my usual regularity (if not more). Speed/endurance in those disciplines hasn't really suffered. I'm back to running now, but I'm slow. I know there are artificial hip recipients out there who are running Marathons, and such. But I just don't want to put that kind of mileage on my hip. It's mechanical and I'd rather not go through that surgery again (if possible). I'm 58 years old. So, I'm only running once, or twice per week. And, no more than 5-6 miles per run. But, I think I may to some tris this summer just to race against myself to see how I'm doing.

Dan
Old 04-09-19, 08:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I picked up run in the bike off season a bit again this year. Well, a lot more than I had ever. I got it up to double digit miles per week, lol.

I signed up with a coworker for a duathlon. I don't have time or money for a swim commitment.

It's a 5k/30k/5k deal. Goal is to break 2 hours.
Old 04-09-19, 09:31 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I was a runner long before triathlon was a thing...and I eventually took up the other two disciplines in the 80s. But now I'm just affraid to put that many miles on the artificial hip. Before, in addition to my cycling and swimming, I would routinely run 25-30 miles per week. Now...if I get in 10 that's a lot. But...my cycling and swimming mileage has increased drastically.

Dan
Old 04-09-19, 09:39 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have a sprint this weekend... still feeling the effects of the flu.. should be interesting since breathing is no fun
Old 05-02-19, 04:19 AM
JenJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Tri is still my bucket list, the time commitment for the training has delayed me so far.
Old 05-03-19, 08:02 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by JenJ
Tri is still my bucket list, the time commitment for the training has delayed me so far.
For a sprint tri...I mean just to finish...you really only need to run and swim maybe once per week. Of course you can run already. But the swim...if you're not accustomed to swimming in the open water. That may require a bit more time.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-04-19, 02:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't know about tri season but when local secretaries around here start wearing puffy vests it's definitely hunting season.
Old 05-04-19, 03:56 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts

'88 Carbon Ironman with 8 speed Dura Ace.
​​​​​​​Yep, I'm almost ready for it too. Hopefully I'll be doing at least three this season culminating in our local half Ironman in October. Here's a pic of the bike I'll be racing this season.
Old 05-04-19, 04:02 AM
JenJ

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
For a sprint tri...I mean just to finish...you really only need to run and swim maybe once per week. Of course you can run already. But the swim...if you're not accustomed to swimming in the open water. That may require a bit more time.

Dan
Agreed, sprint is a good start. Some sprints swimming are held indoors.
Old 05-13-19, 09:21 PM
dooner90

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a little dusty here in the Tri forum. Understandably not much activity during the (northern hemisphere) winter. But it's spring and tris are beginning to happen a little farther to the south. I live in New England so I think races are still about a month away. At least that's the indication I've received according to the adverts for local races I've received.

Due to injuries...I haven't done a tri in a couple of seasons, but I'm considering some sprints again this summer. Before that I was doing a handful of sprints each summer. In March of 2017 I tore a meniscus. Consequently I wasn't able to do any tris that summer. Then, in March of 2018 I had hip replacement surgery. Expect for a slight layoff from the bike in both situations...I have continue cycling and swimming with my usual regularity (if not more). Speed/endurance in those disciplines hasn't really suffered. I'm back to running now, but I'm slow. I know there are artificial hip recipients out there who are running Marathons, and such. But I just don't want to put that kind of mileage on my hip. It's mechanical and I'd rather not go through that surgery again (if possible). I'm 58 years old. So, I'm only running once, or twice per week. And, no more than 5-6 miles per run. But, I think I may to some tris this summer just to race against myself to see how I'm doing.

Dan
Hey, Dan. I'll be running my first triathlon ever here in Illinois. My bike is okay, my run and swim are very weak. I'm hoping to get it done in about 2:40-3:00. This is in ideal weather conditions on Chicago's lakefront. Any tips for a first timer? As an aside, what would you recommend to a younger fellow (28) to avoid hip replacements and ageing in general. Thanks.
Old 05-13-19, 10:30 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by dooner90
Hey, Dan. I'll be running my first triathlon ever here in Illinois. My bike is okay, my run and swim are very weak. I'm hoping to get it done in about 2:40-3:00. This is in ideal weather conditions on Chicago's lakefront. Any tips for a first timer? As an aside, what would you recommend to a younger fellow (28) to avoid hip replacements and ageing in general. Thanks.

For your first tri ever...my suggestion is just to have fun. Don't worry about any certain finish time. Just absorb the experience so that you better know what to expect in your next race. Go for time then. But, as I've said. It is imperative that you're accustom to swimming in the open water!!!

About the hip. I'm 58 and I started distance running in 1976 as a freshman in h.s. I never stopped except for injuries. When my hip failed, lots of non-runners said to me that it was all the running that caused it to fail. My response to them was "Then explain my older sister who has had both hips replaced and never ran a step in her life." In my case it 'might' have been indirectly caused by the running. In my mid-20s I blew out a disc in my lower back. It was surgically repaired, but resulted in a slight imbalance (i.e. limp). Running like that for the next three decades probably made the hip wear unevenly. So, in your youth and as you grow older...make sure that your running posture is balanced. Continued exercise will otherwise keep you young. At 58 people are always amazed at how much younger I look. I get an annual checkup with my doctor. He frequently says to me "On paper you look like you're in your 30s."

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-14-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 07:55 AM
dooner90

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For your first tri ever...my suggestion is just to have fun. Don't worry about any certain finish time. Just absorb the experience so that you better know what to expect in your next race. Go for time then. But, as I've said. It is imperative that you're accustom to swimming in the open water!!!

About the hip. I'm 58 and I started distance running in 1976 as a freshman in h.s. I never stopped except for injuries. When my hip failed, lots of non-runners said to me that it was all the running that caused it to fail. My response to them was "Then explain my older sister who has had both hips replaced and never ran a step in her life." In my case it 'might' have been indirectly caused by the running. In my mid-20s I blew out a disc in my lower back. It was surgically repaired, but resulted in a slight imbalance (i.e. limp). Running like that for the next three decades probably made the hip wear unevenly. So, in your youth and as you grow older...make sure that you're running posture is balanced. Continued exercise will otherwise keep you young. At 58 people are always amazed at how much younger I look. I get an annual checkup with my doctor. He frequently says to me "On paper you look like you're in your 30s."

Dan
Thanks for the advice, Dan. I too have been running since my first year in high school (on/off however). How much training time in open water do you reckon is necessary for a first timer? I know this might sound silly to you, but I feel pretty confident swimming longer distances in my local pool. Is there any comparison? What factors (besides waves/wind) are there in open water? I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.
Old 05-14-19, 08:35 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by dooner90
Thanks for the advice, Dan. I too have been running since my first year in high school (on/off however). How much training time in open water do you reckon is necessary for a first timer? I know this might sound silly to you, but I feel pretty confident swimming longer distances in my local pool. Is there any comparison? What factors (besides waves/wind) are there in open water? I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.
Well...training time required in open water will differ from person to person. Do it until you're comfortable out there. Because you'll be in fresh water of Lake Michigan there isn't as much concern as there would be in salt water (unless you're down south and there are gators and snakes in the fresh water). There will be waves/chop that will be significantly different than in the pool. You can't see the bottom...no line to follow. Sun may affect your vision. You should get comfortable with all that. Breathing techniques are important. Being able to breathe bi-laterally (both sides) is very valuable. Not only for sighting, but actual breathing too. If you turn to breathe and a wave hits your face making it impossible to get a breath...you can turn to the other side and breathe. You'll be swimming in very close proximity to other swimmers too. That's hard to mimic in workouts...but as you swim think about what you'll do if/when you collide with someone and your goggles get knocked off, for example. Practice putting goggles back on while treading water. Obviously in salt water, unaccustomed swimmers have more to think about. Stinging and blighting things lurk! "Was that a shadow caused by a wave, or was it a shark?" "Did I just get stung by a jellyfish or was it just seaweed?"

Dan
Old 05-23-19, 07:28 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj

'88 Carbon Ironman with 8 speed Dura Ace.
Yep, I'm almost ready for it too. Hopefully I'll be doing at least three this season culminating in our local half Ironman in October. Here's a pic of the bike I'll be racing this season.
This bike is a beauty! I want one!!
Happy tri!
Old 05-23-19, 08:27 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Thanks. I got more . Here's my '86. Which is also the year I competed in my first triathlon.
All 6 speed Dura Ace except for the 600 crankarms and brakeset. 1st generation Aero bars and GripShift.
​​​​​​​
Old 05-23-19, 08:47 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Sadly, Centurion bikes are not often seen for sale in the Montreal area.
Old 06-17-19, 07:19 AM
BikeAndIke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's everyone's weekly mileage? Just trying to figure out what I should be shooting for...

Do you alternate different disciplines every week or is your week to week the same?
Old 06-23-19, 08:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by BikeAndIke
What's everyone's weekly mileage? Just trying to figure out what I should be shooting for...

Do you alternate different disciplines every week or is your week to week the same?
I think it all depends on numerous factors. Your own strengths and weaknesses. The length of race(s) that you intend to participate in. What are your expectations (i.e. are you just looking to finish, be competitive in your age group, or be competitive in the overall standings)? Family situation (i.e. how much time away from the family is fair to your spouse/kids)? I mean if you just want to finish a sprint tri...you can just about get by with a single workout in each discipline per week. But if you're going to be doing IMs you're going to need lots more mileage in all the disciplines. If you're an acceptional runner...but swim like a rock...you obviously need to spend more time at the pool. Yet another triathlete might have just the opposite situation and not need as much time swimming.

Dan