Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Narrower tire consequences?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 04:17 PM
SuperRecord

Bikes: Giant ARX2...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Giant ARX2 [ [url]https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/arx-2-2018 ] with 27.5 x 1.95 tires and i'm getting ready to replace them with a narrow tire (1.5"). Assuming I use this new narrow size, can I expect them to be more or less challenging to remove for tube repair?

Thanks in advance

Art
Old 04-05-19, 05:30 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Depends who made the tire and how tight they made them. No way to know without having your bike, wheels and tires in my hand so I can try them. Could/should be easy but it also could be near impossible. Roger
Old 04-05-19, 07:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Depends

No way to know

Could/should be easy but it also could be near impossible.

Definitely maybe.

Six of one, half dozen of another.

Define "Challenging."

-Tim-
Old 04-06-19, 07:02 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have some tires that are a doozy to get on and off the rim, and it seems almost unpredictable from one type of tire to another. I doubt tire width plays much of a role. Before you buy tires... what kind of cycling are you doing, and how frequently do you have to repair a flat? I've had virtually no flats in several years of pavement riding on bikes that have puncture resistant tires.

Some rims are easier to install tires on than others.

For me, "challenging" is when I have to use a bead jack. Some folks have suggested squirting some soapy water on the tire before installing, and I'll give that a try next time.
Old 04-06-19, 07:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperRecord
I have a Giant ARX2 with 27.5 x 1.95 tires and i'm getting ready to replace them with a narrow tire (1.5"). Assuming I use this new narrow size, can I expect them to be more or less challenging to remove for tube repair?
Fun bike -- I had one for a short time. I traded it for a Giant Roam 2, both of which use Giant's basic GX28 rims. I say that because I've had a number of sets of tires on and off my Roam's GX28 wheels with no issues. I've owned wheels that seemed to make tire swaps a real test of patience, but my GX28 wheels haven't been that way so far.

In addition to the specific rim, it does depend on the tire as well. Tires with a rigid bead tend to be more difficult to mount than tires with a folding bead. And tires designed to be run tubeless tend to be more difficult to mount than tires that are not intended to be run tubeless, because tubeless tires tend to fit tighter to the bead (by design), sometimes making them harder to stretch up over the bead lip.

Do you know what tires (brand/model) you intend to use?
Old 04-06-19, 08:06 AM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tires considering;

That's great to hear, I was beginning to think that I was the only one to have purchased this bike.

I thought I would be doing more off pavement riding than I currently am; hence the desire for changing over to narrower tires. i like the bike, though I don't care much for the crankset, as I almost never get into the top ring with these legs. Maybe with the narrower tires and a steep paved decent ill find myself in that range more.

The main reason for the following is that they are local purchases; but I"m open to other suggestions:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tire 27.5 x 1.5" $63.87
or possibly

Panaracer Gravel King 27.5 x 1.5" $50

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Fun bike -- I had one for a short time. I traded it for a Giant Roam 2, both of which use Giant's basic GX28 rims. I say that because I've had a number of sets of tires on and off my Roam's GX28 wheels with no issues. I've owned wheels that seemed to make tire swaps a real test of patience, but my GX28 wheels haven't been that way so far.

In addition to the specific rim, it does depend on the tire as well. Tires with a rigid bead tend to be more difficult to mount than tires with a folding bead. And tires designed to be run tubeless tend to be more difficult to mount than tires that are not intended to be run tubeless, because tubeless tires tend to fit tighter to the bead (by design), sometimes making them harder to stretch up over the bead lip.

Do you know what tires (brand/model) you intend to use?
Old 04-06-19, 10:36 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 379 Posts

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tire 27.5 x 1.5" $63.87
or possibly

Panaracer Gravel King 27.5 x 1.5" $50
Schwalbe Marathon tires will be heavier, stiffer, and harder to install/remove. They will be more durable and flat-resistant so you won't have to remove them as often.
Panaracer Gravel King tires will be lighter, more compliant, and easier to install/remove. They will be more fragile, so you will be fixing flats more often.

Makes your choices and takes your chances.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-06-19, 12:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Are the old tires still functional? My rule is, never replace a good tire. Ride the tread off first.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-06-19, 12:57 PM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The originals still have more life; and that sounds like advice I will follow. @Gresp15C. Thanks

Thanks Jeff. i thought that might be one of the differences between the two. I'd still probably try the Marathons since i will be doing more riding where I seem to find the most punctures.

Good day here (60f), we had many locals out and about. I just took in a mix of some beach air and auto exhaust along one of my routine rides.
Old 04-06-19, 01:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Define "Challenging."

-Tim-
That is what we need... a new bike repair challenge. See how long it takes people to go from flat beside the road to repaired and back on the road (must hold air for 5 miles & 24 hours).

As @Jeff Wills mentions, the Marathon Plus tires are stiff, but I've found one can get used to mounting them.

Make sure you have the right tube size. I usually choose the biggest that will fit, but not oversized.

A lot will depend on the rim. Do you have "tubeless" rims? They can be more challenging to work with, especially with tubes.
Old 04-06-19, 03:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
A narrower tire will let you use a tire jack if you want. They’re kinda interesting and somewhat useful. Was disappointed not to be able to use mine on my wider studded tires last year
Old 04-07-19, 11:01 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I thought I would be doing more off pavement riding than I currently am; hence the desire for changing over to narrower tires. i like the bike, though I don't care much for the crankset, as I almost never get into the top ring with these legs. Maybe with the narrower tires and a steep paved decent ill find myself in that range more.
Remember that there's more (a lot more) to how well a tire rolls than its width. Just going narrower might not make the bike ride easier if you get heavy, thick tires in the new size.

My vote would be for a wide tire with file tread, the GravelKing in 1.75" or 1.9" would be a good start.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-07-19, 03:23 PM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Remember that there's more (a lot more) to how well a tire rolls than its width. Just going narrower might not make the bike ride easier if you get heavy, thick tires in the new size.

My vote would be for a wide tire with file tread, the GravelKing in 1.75" or 1.9" would be a good start.
As a outsider you make a compelling case that I both could and would not argue with. I have some experience changing motorcycle tubeless types on my old airhead that required lots of sun and lots of patience to make them fit. I was glad to have not been doing that on the side of the road... Yes, challenging is highly subjective.

The only information so far, and I'm not sure it relates to the specific width tire, is attached to this message. Are the max pressures the same between the two? I'm doing paved hill climbing, so I'm forced into the scud from time to time. It would NEED to be a great deal lighter, or not that much less protection from the gravel king; or vice versa for the other.

Great day from Fort Montgomery NY up and back to Perkins Memorial tower. Lots of autos and motorcycles. I got there in the afternoon so I assume most of the other cyclist wrapped it up by then.

Thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by SuperRecord; 04-07-19 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot attachment and clean up a bit
Old 04-07-19, 03:35 PM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
A narrower tire will let you use a tire jack if you want. They’re kinda interesting and somewhat useful. Was disappointed not to be able to use mine on my wider studded tires last year
Thanks. This is new to me. I'll keep it filed if it comes to that.
Old 04-07-19, 03:36 PM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
That is what we need... a new bike repair challenge. See how long it takes people to go from flat beside the road to repaired and back on the road (must hold air for 5 miles & 24 hours).

As @Jeff Wills
Make sure you have the right tube size. I usually choose the biggest that will fit, but not oversized.

A lot will depend on the rim. Do you have "tubeless" rims? They can be more challenging to work with, especially with tubes.
No. Thanks I'll remember this too.
Old 04-07-19, 05:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

As a outsider you make a compelling case that I both could and would not argue with. I have some experience changing motorcycle tubeless types on my old airhead that required lots of sun and lots of patience to make them fit. I was glad to have not been doing that on the side of the road... Yes, challenging is highly subjective.

The only information so far, and I'm not sure it relates to the specific width tire, is attached to this message. Are the max pressures the same between the two? I'm doing paved hill climbing, so I'm forced into the scud from time to time. It would NEED to be a great deal lighter, or not that much less protection from the gravel king; or vice versa for the other.

Great day from Fort Montgomery NY up and back to Perkins Memorial tower. Lots of autos and motorcycles. I got there in the afternoon so I assume most of the other cyclist wrapped it up by then.

Thanks for the suggestions
35-50 watts of rolling resistance is a LOT, and I would not want to ride any of the tires in that chart! It may be hard to gauge the rolling resistance of different tires on a motorcycle with an engine doing the work, but you'll feel it on a bicycle, especially if you're trying to climb hills in traffic.

With lighter higher-performance tires, there is much less need to pump them to their max, too. I ride 38-42mm tires pretty much all the time, and the only thing that max pressure does is to fatigue me faster on bumpy pavement.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-07-19, 05:57 PM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm loving technology!
Old 04-08-19, 07:30 AM
hokiefyd 

One of the primary reasons I traded it was due to comfort on the bike -- I just couldn't find any. I really wanted a 27.5" bike (for comfort) and thought that was it. I ended up trading it for a Roam, and have just recently converted the Roam from 700c to 27.5", and I remembered the ARX I had. I'm so much more comfortable on the Roam, even with the fork locked out, and I think it's because of the tires. I think the stock ARX tires just really suck. I've got Vittoria Mezcal G+ TNT tires on my Roam (in 27.5x2.1" size) and there's really no comparison in the ride. I couldn't air the ARX's tires down enough to get a nice ride out of it.

I was sort of at the crossroads of spending money on the bike in an attempt to make it better (and not knowing if I'd be happy with it) or trading it for a different bike. So I traded it, but $50's worth of tires might have made that ARX a lot better.
Old 04-08-19, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
falls in the gap on trolley tracks in the street ..
Old 04-08-19, 11:26 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Changing 27" tyres of various widths i've never had an issue with, even 1. 1/4", the only time it's a bit subborn is if it was fitted with those heavy duty puncture resistant tubes
Old 04-08-19, 11:30 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by le mans
Changing 27" tyres of various widths i've never had an issue with, even 1. 1/4", the only time it's a bit subborn is if it was fitted with those heavy duty puncture resistant tubes
These are 27.5" / 650B / 584mm bead seat diameter. I think you're referring to the old 27" rims / 630mm bead seat diameter -- a different spec.
Old 04-08-19, 11:32 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
oh 'scusy. i thought those 650 wheels or tyres were closer to 26"
Old 04-08-19, 09:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
For difficult rim tire combos , it helps immensely to know and use the technique of squishing the tire into the middle of the rim as far as you can, and using old toe straps to hold it in place.
there is a good YouTube video by a British guy who shows this for putting on marathon plus tires, I've posted the link for years but can't recall the name of the shop he works for.

Re tire levers, Pedro's levers, yellow ones, are super strong plastic, and help with real problem tires and rims.
The soapy water trick does help for that last bit. I'm fairly certain I once put a bit of lipsil on the last bit of rim once to help the last bit get over.

Ps, found the video
https://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4
Old 04-08-19, 09:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
These are 27.5" / 650B / 584mm bead seat diameter. I think you're referring to the old 27" rims / 630mm bead seat diameter -- a different spec.
Originally Posted by le mans
oh 'scusy. i thought those 650 wheels or tyres were closer to 26"
People need to use the standardized ETRTO size designations rather than the arbitrary nominal sizes.
Old 04-09-19, 07:43 AM
SuperRecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
originals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.