Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why did lowrider rear racks stopped being popular?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-20-19, 09:05 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I would like to know why most modern rear racks mount the panniers so high on the rear wheel.

Older European and Japanese expedition bikes had lowriders on both the front and rear wheels, which helps to keep the center of gravity closer to the ground, thus improving stability in a heavily loaded bike.

Is there a reason why these lower racks are not more popular among cycle tourers of today?

Old 05-20-19, 09:09 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Jim Blackburn did a study in the '70s for his front lowriders and one of the configurations was with low rear bags that turned out to be not as stable as high (standard) rear mounted bags. However, I suspect that the low rear panniers were considered less aesthetically pleasing than the high. Practically speaking, heel strike might be an issue.

I like that the Bridgestone above is said to have a Huret Albeit rear derailleur. Probably an Allvit.

Last edited by thumpism; 05-20-19 at 09:14 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-21-19, 11:03 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Ortleibs would probably drag on the ground if mounted to those racks. The wider part of the bags would also be closer to your heel on a lower rack, if the bags are tapered like Ortleibs.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-21-19, 11:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Jim Blackburn did a study in the '70s for his front lowriders and one of the configurations was with low rear bags that turned out to be not as stable as high (standard) rear mounted bags. However, I suspect that the low rear panniers were considered less aesthetically pleasing than the high. Practically speaking, heel strike might be an issue.

I like that the Bridgestone above is said to have a Huret Albeit rear derailleur. Probably an Allvit.
I was working in a shop and selling touring bikes when that study came out. If memory serves me, the study showed that low rider up front helped with handling but did not do so in the rear. There is little doubt that putting weight down low up front helps the bike's handling.
Old 05-21-19, 11:15 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
I would like to know why...
It's called heel-strike: heel of your shoe bangs into bags when pedaling.

Solution is two-fold: make bags without lower leading corners, i.e Ortlieb and many others, and mount bags further rearwards and higher, accomplished by std above-the-fender height rack rails along with longer chainstays.
Old 05-21-19, 11:27 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
These were taken from an early Blackburn catalog, which summarized his study. You also have to realize that his test runs were done with 80 lbs., when looking at the results. I apologize for the pictures, but that I only have photos of the catalog, not the actual catalog.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-21-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 11:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I did not have the benefit of this study, but I came to conclusion that for handling, the weight should go LowRider front panniers first, medium sized rear panniers on regular racks next and strapped to the rear rack last. (All options include a small road tool bag under the seat.) I started my touring with a TA handlebar bag but came t the conclusion it was bad for handling and I do not believe my Mooney has ever seen it. Still have the bag but my Mooney just celebrated its 40th birthdays so it's been a while.

And my more recent discovery re: weight placement - weight under the DT doesn't count. You cannot feel it in the handling of the bike and cannot see it under the downtube so you benefit from the placebo effect. If you look at my avatar you will see a red bag under the DT. Sandals to relieve my feet at rest stops. That weight never crossed my mind as I muscled up the 14% grade of the photo (in a 42-17 gear).

Ben
Old 05-21-19, 11:49 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
^Note how test 3 puts weight aft of the rear axle. I think that's part of the problem.
Old 05-21-19, 11:58 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I did not have the benefit of this study, but I came to conclusion that for handling, the weight should go LowRider front panniers first, medium sized rear panniers on regular racks next and strapped to the rear rack last. (All options include a small road tool bag under the seat.) I started my touring with a TA handlebar bag but came t the conclusion it was bad for handling and I do not believe my Mooney has ever seen it. Still have the bag but my Mooney just celebrated its 40th birthdays so it's been a while.

And my more recent discovery re: weight placement - weight under the DT doesn't count. You cannot feel it in the handling of the bike and cannot see it under the downtube so you benefit from the placebo effect. If you look at my avatar you will see a red bag under the DT. Sandals to relieve my feet at rest stops. That weight never crossed my mind as I muscled up the 14% grade of the photo (in a 42-17 gear).

Ben
It's super easy to overload a handlebar bag, as I've learned, but for very light stuff (maps, candy, chips, etc.), they're pretty nice. 🙂
Old 05-21-19, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They were French, but the Japanese liked French Cyclocamping setups
so you can build one from Nitto products, too..

Bikes are usually sold Bare,, how someone will accessorize their bike a choice ,.

usually made up from stuff the shop has on hand..

But now with the Internet and International shipping you can out fit your bike as you please..

NB: In The USA they were Never "Popular".. they were esoteric & rare..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-22-19 at 01:36 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-21-19, 02:40 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
In the back on the drive side, maybe a Huret Allvit would function just fine with a pannier hanging against it. The part that would be pressing on the pannier does not move in and out. And taht was a friction derailleur, so if the hanger got bent, it would not cause any problems with the possible exception of a chain in the spokes, but the bikes sold with that derailleur all had spoke protectors.
VeloBase.com - Component: Huret Allvit

But if you had a pannier hanging that low, most modern derailleurs would not work well on the smaller sprockets with a pannier hanging against them. The pannier would be pressing on part of the derailleur that moves in and out.

I could easily hang panniers lower without a problem on my Rohloff bike, there is no derailleur. See photo, the panniers are just a bit below axle level with Tubus Logo rear rack.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-21-19, 03:08 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Dual low-riders and a Martini shaker. Cool baby!

Getting ready for a bike tour?

Last edited by BigAura; 05-21-19 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For BigAura:
Old 05-21-19, 05:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Dual low-riders and a Martini shaker. Cool baby!

Getting ready for a bike tour?
if those three guys were getting ready for a bike tour, they'd need to buy some of these--

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/rat-trap-pedals
Old 05-21-19, 05:25 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Those guys look like they're intoxicated or something. 😎😉
Old 05-21-19, 08:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
^Note how test 3 puts weight aft of the rear axle. I think that's part of the problem.
Kind of have to be mounted that way. Take a look at the pictures in curbow’s post. The panniers are way behind the axle.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-22-19, 08:37 AM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you all for your replies! I hadn't noticed the fact that rear lowrider racks put the weight behind the rear axle. That's a classic recipe for sluggish behavior on any vehicle. And clearance for the rear derailleur is also a desirable thing to have.
Old 05-22-19, 09:24 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Even with a truck or a van if you put too much weight behind the rear axle it gets squirrelly.

OTOH, I had a Carradice Camper bag (20 liter, I think) and found that putting lots of weight almost right under my butt was a pretty good place to carry the weight.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-22-19, 09:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
To make a long story really short, four years ago I bought a pair of Carradry panniers to use for a specific trip because of their greater volume than the Ortliebs I have always used. But for reasons unrelated to the panniers, that trip did not happen. Since then every trip I went on I thought about using them and for one reason or other I kept using my Ortliebs. But I am planning to use the Carradry on my next trip for the first time. It would be on my Rohloff bike, so if they hung too low for a derailleur fitted bike, that would not be a problem.

The paper bag in the photo was wrapped around a 10 pound brick intended to simulate the weight of food on the bike for a test ride. I cropped the photo to just show the panniers on the bike. Rack is a Racktime Addit, not the Tubus Logo that I had in the other photo.

You can see that they hang much lower than most other panniers do. With that rack and pannier combination, I would imagine that some derailleur bikes could have a problem with the pannier pressing on the rear derailleur when in higher gears (smaller cassette sprockets). The Addit rack has a lower bar to hang the panniers from, if I used a conventional rack where the panniers hang from the top then the panniers would hang a few inches higher.

Old 05-23-19, 06:13 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
On the low-mount rear racks I've seen, usually the old ones of Japanese origin, the bag portion was splayed outward toward the bottom to aim the bag away from the rear derailleur.
Old 05-23-19, 10:32 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
you got two options at least to remedy the bag rubbing on the derailler.

1) install one of them wire-cage derailler protector thingies that mount at the dropout.

2) switch to a rack designed for bikes with disc brakes. mine moves the rear of the pannier a full 4cm from the chainstay, just enough to clear the derailler in the fully out position.

assuming some flex from the pannier might cause rubbing in bumpy terrain, should be easy enough to fashion a small plastic protector to mount on the rack to keep the bottom of the bag from hitting. prolly not needed as i rarely (~never) use the wee, tiny cogs anyways.
Old 05-23-19, 02:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Echoing 19th posts , do what the French constructeurs did,
the lowriding Rear bag support angled outward so never came in contact ..

Old 05-23-19, 11:26 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
I would like to know why most modern rear racks mount the panniers so high on the rear wheel.

Older European and Japanese expedition bikes had lowriders on both the front and rear wheels, which helps to keep the center of gravity closer to the ground, thus improving stability in a heavily loaded bike.

Is there a reason why these lower racks are not more popular among cycle tourers of today?

When you use 'popular', do you mean you see them less frequently on bikes or they are no longer being sold at bike shops?
Old 05-24-19, 07:09 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Even with a truck or a van if you put too much weight behind the rear axle it gets squirrelly.

OTOH, I had a Carradice Camper bag (20 liter, I think) and found that putting lots of weight almost right under my butt was a pretty good place to carry the weight.
Same. I use a Carradice Super C (23L) saddlebag and even when loaded pretty heavily it does not seem to influence handling all that much.
I think my next tour is going to be 2x Ortlieb 20L on front lowriders + saddlebag 23L + 17L porteur bag if I ever need that much space.
I'll probably replace the Ortliebs with 2x 15L front rollers as 70L should be more than enough for some self-sufficient touring.
Old 06-07-19, 04:37 PM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
When you use 'popular', do you mean you see them less frequently on bikes or they are no longer being sold at bike shops?
Maybe BOTH is the right answer. Most rear racks available at bike shops are the ones that mount the panniers beside the top of the rear wheel, so they are the ones seen more frequently.
Old 06-07-19, 04:53 PM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
do what the French constructeurs did,
the lowriding Rear bag support angled outward...
Yes, they do angle outwards in both front and rear, as seen in this picture:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.