Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Fat boy rebuttal

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Fat boy rebuttal

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 05:43 AM
thetroutguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat boy rebuttal

WHOA, slow down. Not all fat asses wear spandex. Not all fat boys ride expensive bikes that they don't know what to do with. I know because I am a fat guy (285 lbs. 6'1"). I wear baggy clothes, and ride a sub $500.00 bike. I am respectful of the trails and other riders. Most importantly I don't JUDGE other riders. I feel like at least I am out there trying to make myself better. I want to be a better rider and get into better shape. Is that any different than the rest of you? Now I DO see the problem with fat people wearing spandex and blocking the trails and huffing and puffing up a hill while a more fit rider is trailing behind. Those people are annoying, and that is a problem. It should be simple, pull over and let those pass that want to. Wear flattering clothing that is comfortable, and realize that we are all into this for the same reasons.
Old 11-14-02, 07:24 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat Boy #2 Checking in.

I've never been slim, small,...etc. I have however, always been active and strong. I was a weightlifter/trainer in my youth and succummed (sp?) to the thrill of getting HUGE. I got to the point where I could easily bench 300+ and could squat 590. After spending numerous years behind a desk, that mass got soft! I've always cycled, to help with cardio. Currently I'm about 230 lbs, but carry my weight well. I'm constantly watching what I eat, but my only vice is drinking too much soda's (Mt. Dew's specifically).

I also wear baggy shorts, baggy jersey's on my mtn. bike. On my road bike I wear spandex shorts and as big a jersey as is available. NOTE: All cycling jersey's run small. An XXL barely fits and is difficult to find for a good price.

I'm out there trying to get more fit and lose weight. I wear the clothes I wear more for performance, not style.

In reality, I could care less what strangers think of how I look.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 11-14-02, 12:33 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone had something against fat boys. Really??? I am 6'5 250 and will never be less than 220. I have spent most of the last 7 years under a bar and enjoy being 'big'. I would never sacrifice this size for anything.

Oh and I refuse to wear spandex, I don't know too many people it looks good on. Baggy clothers work better for the riding I enjoy
Old 11-18-02, 10:42 PM
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A note to all spandexee's [websters: n (from latin: tightus) (1)-activity-oriented person who places the activity above fashion (2)-Person with no fashion sense (3)- Volleyball player]: running shorts over the spandex greatly improves the fashion appeal behind the cold weather/chafing protection afforded with minimal effect on performances. Naturally definitions 1 and 3 should weigh the costs/benefits of my suggestion, but all of group 2 should listen and pay heed to my words.
H'asta la bye bye
Old 11-18-02, 11:19 PM
Beau

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'3" 125lbs and bench about 180. Being short and light isn't the best thing when you are a guy either. Those just aren't very intimidating figures.

Beau
Old 11-19-02, 07:33 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll join the club as a junior member, but no so much on the fatty angle.

I'm 1.8m tall, 92Kg translated to 5'11" 200 lbs (gosh that sounds a lot!).

I keep one spare tire for my bike at home, and another spare tire around my waist. I take the one around my waist with me everywhere!

Fortunately, I lift a lot of weights so have a reasonable muscle mass as well. I was never a skinny sod, so sunbathing down at the beach was never a problem!

Charles Atlas is a tosser, in my opinion.
Old 11-19-02, 08:08 AM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey,
I wear spandex bike shorts.
I am FAT. No, not fat like you boys, I mean really fat.
I don't give a good goddam what people think. I am working it off. If I have to look like an idiot to do it, so be it. I look like a fata$$ regardless of what I'm wearing on my bike. I guess I might as well be comfortable. I had some kids laugh at me the other day. Yes, it's still happening. But these punks were on bikes.
Heh,heh,heh.
"Hey, smart a$$ kid, you think it's funny?"
"Why don't you ride your sorry POS bike over here and see if you can keep up with my fat a$$? Punk!"
They didn't have a chance. They did get a nice view of my spandex clad cheeks though. "See ya, boys"

ChipR
Old 11-19-02, 08:21 AM
WaltH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding with someone a couple weeks ago and we passed a biker who was "large". I could see the wheels turning in this guys head and when he opened his mouth it was exactly what I expected. I chalk comments like that up to insecurity in the people who say them. I responded that I think it's great we're all out here enjoying life and getting exercise.

If I want to make fun of someone it's real easy...I just look in the mirror...nothing funnier than this old bald man in spandex with a bandana and bike shoes that make him walk like a complete dork.
Old 11-19-02, 08:30 AM
Airborne
Sir Crashalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a beer gut - can i play here too?