Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

What wheels should I get?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 01:08 PM
spessx

Bikes: Carbon Fuji, Cannondale Caad 8, Schwinn Homegrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm getting rid of my American Classic Sprint 350s and getting some stiffer wheels. I'm guessing I'll have about a $400-450 budget and would like to get something fairly light/stiff/smooth. I weigh under 160lbs and race mostly crits in Cat 5. These are the current options/prices I'm considering:

Bontrager Race X Lite $450 (new through team deal)
Neuvation R28 SL $399 ($459 w/ceramic bearings)
Reylnolds Alta Race $259 (Pricepoint)

Anything else I should consider?

Also, what benefits would I get from an Aero wheelset?

Thanks in advance!

-Stephen
Old 04-17-07, 01:15 PM
mike9903

Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flucrum Racing 5 Evolution's are a solid wheel that can be found in the $250 range.
Old 04-17-07, 01:26 PM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get ready to be told you don't need a fancy wheelset, you need to train harder, and that all you need are some Open Pro's laced to 105 hubs...

Of the three you listed I've got experience with two.

The Alta Race has been the best all around race wheel I've had for the money. I've won both races and a bunch of primes on them. Only downside is you have to pull the tire and rim strip to true them, and after a couple of hard seasons the rear will probably need spokes (I'm talking Paris Roubaix hard)

The Neuvations are very nice and quite stiff, smooth and reasonably light, though if you do mostly crits I'd opt for the aero vs. the SL version, it's a stiffer wheel for sprinting.

Both companies have really great customer support.

Friend had the Bontragers and had some spoke breaking issues, though he's a really big strong guy. A lot of people love them.

The two wheels I've commented on will be stiffer (the Neuvation 28 aeros a bit more than the Altas), stay true better, and have better braking than the Sprints, I've spent a lot of time on those as well. Speed wise and acceleration you aren't going to notice anything too huge, the Sprint is a fairly aero and light rim though the trade off is the higher spoke count.
Old 04-17-07, 01:30 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Get the Reynolds or something hand built. The Reynolds are 30mm which is about as aero as you are going to get in this price range.
Old 04-17-07, 01:30 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
You don't need a fancy wheelset. You need to train harder. All you need are some open pros laced to 105 hubs.

Besides everyone knows fancy equipment won't make a Cat 5 racer go faster.
Old 04-17-07, 01:46 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as your ACs are in good shape, keep racing them, save your $$ and buy some Zipps when you can afford them. It's not advertised, but they come with an automatic upgrade to Cat 3 coupon so you wont even have to bother with racing Cat 4. I think the automatic upgrade program catapults you to a 2 if you get a tubular and lace it to a powertap hub. So much easier than those tedius upgrade requirements.

just kidding ... i'm tired of reading and editing a poorly written report here at work so I thought I'd spew some sarcasm.
Old 04-17-07, 01:47 PM
Nacho Speedee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Williams Wheels lately -- System 19s and I just got a set of Carbon 50s. Awesome wheels for the price, stiff and true. Plus, they have great customer service. Check them out at www.williamscycling.com.

BTW, I'm not a troll -- I just like the wheels.
Old 04-17-07, 01:59 PM
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the neuvations, though aero not SL, and have found them to be great wheels. Stiff, somewhat aero, and quite bombproof (only time I've had to true them was after a crash that put me in the hospital)
Old 04-17-07, 02:28 PM
spessx

Bikes: Carbon Fuji, Cannondale Caad 8, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the responses so far (even the sarcastic ones!). I should probably add a few notes to my original post. The American Classics are too noodily and unnerving for me to race on. They would probably be great for a lighter rider or a road racer. I'm already working with a cycling coach and am not just trying to purchase my way to the winners circle one carbon part at a time. I do however want a wheelset that's reliable, very stiff, smooth and yes, light. My race bike has the Race X Lites which I have been happy with so far. I'm done with the AC350's on my other bike and would like to put a diff wheelset on it.

What can I gain by moving to an aero wheelset?

-Stephen
Old 04-17-07, 06:11 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the race x lites and the Reynolds. I love the x lites and the reynolds are pretty decent like vino said. I ride the x lites way more then the reynolds. I am 170lbs and have 2 sets of race x lites, 1 with 4000+ miles and some 07's with 1000+ miles, both are true as can be even after tons of miles on the rough southeastern, PA roads.

If you already have the x lites try the reynolds.
Old 04-17-07, 06:19 PM
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless

Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm loving my Campy Zondas.
Old 04-17-07, 11:45 PM
zhefei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting a set of Reynolds Solitude wheels in tomorrow. They are basically Alta Races for 2007. I'll post ride impressions when I get the chance.
Old 04-18-07, 06:21 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spessx
Hey guys,

-Stephen
Stephen - below is copied and pasted from a post that the poster known as asgelle put in a related thread. Also, I dont know the wheels you're inquiring about in your orig. question, but I use Campy Scirocco's for everyday training. They are in the same price range as those wheels you're considering. They're reasonably aero (28mm profile, iirc), a bit on the heavy side, but after a year and probably 6K+ miles over lots of sketchy road surfaces, they remain true. I think they also look kind of cool.

"See above about trying to use facts supported by data as much as possible. All data show reduction in drag with increasing rim depth at all rim depths (e.g., https://www.zipp.com/Technology/Aerod.../Default.aspx). In other words increasing from a 20 mm to 25 mm rim reduces drag and increases speed. Similarly, Willett's data https://www.biketechreview.com/archive/wheel_theory.htm show that even sitting in a pack, there is a considerable reduction in drag from aero wheels. Now show me yours."
Old 04-18-07, 07:30 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
Get ready to be told you don't need a fancy wheelset, you need to train harder, and that all you need are some Open Pro's laced to 105 hubs...

Of the three you listed I've got experience with two.

The Alta Race has been the best all around race wheel I've had for the money. I've won both races and a bunch of primes on them. Only downside is you have to pull the tire and rim strip to true them, and after a couple of hard seasons the rear will probably need spokes (I'm talking Paris Roubaix hard)

The Neuvations are very nice and quite stiff, smooth and reasonably light, though if you do mostly crits I'd opt for the aero vs. the SL version, it's a stiffer wheel for sprinting.

Both companies have really great customer support.

Friend had the Bontragers and had some spoke breaking issues, though he's a really big strong guy. A lot of people love them.

The two wheels I've commented on will be stiffer (the Neuvation 28 aeros a bit more than the Altas), stay true better, and have better braking than the Sprints, I've spent a lot of time on those as well. Speed wise and acceleration you aren't going to notice anything too huge, the Sprint is a fairly aero and light rim though the trade off is the higher spoke count.
+1 on the Reynolds, for money they are the best of the wheels the OP mentioned.
Old 04-20-07, 12:15 PM
SteadyHand
Former Wipper Snapper!

Bikes: 2006 Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have researched these forums and others for sometime like a stalking lion. I am very grateful to read the feedback and it has helped me tremendously to isolate my choice.

I have identified the Reynolds Alta Race (or Solitude) as my wheel upgrade. The cost, feedback, and weight are the contributing factors to that decision. I post the following two questions for your opinions:

I am a svelte 185lbs. I have read that these wheels are fine for my weight. Has anyone had or know of any significant issues with these rims at that weight or more.

I have found sets of Alta Race and Solitudes on sale on Ebay for $269 and $289 respectively. Apart from the aesthetics is there any upgrade to the latter wheel and does anyone know where I might find them for less?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-20-07, 12:18 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Anybody read Velonews' review of the Lew wheels? I'm thinking I've got to get a set. They almost make them sound reasonable. And with boron in the braking surface you can run regular brake pads. ( Over time just think how much of the purchase price you'll save back not replacing cork pads!)
Old 04-20-07, 05:15 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd get the solitudes only cause I like the black better.
Old 04-20-07, 06:09 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
black wheels are faster because I said so hows that for scientific.
Old 04-20-07, 08:47 PM
jmp66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neuvation wheels are truly indestructable and reasonably light and reasonably aero, and if you have a question or an issue you can e-mail the owner of the company himself...
Old 04-20-07, 09:14 PM
zhefei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reynolds Solitude wheels came in yesterday. They look amazing, and ride well, too. I'm reserving full judgement until after the placebo effect wears off a little, but they look solid.
Old 04-20-07, 10:07 PM
SteadyHand
Former Wipper Snapper!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jmp66, I like the Neuvation's M28 with the Ceramic bearing upgrade for $234! Its between these or the Solitudes!
Old 04-20-07, 11:35 PM
goldbam
Wanna race?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard nothing but great things about nuevation, they're suppose to have the best customer service anywhere. I was about to buy the R 28's but I got a sweet deal on some Mavic Ksyrium SL's for $450. Also love the Mavic's, they're ultra stiff for sprinting, although not the best on the aerodynamic side.
Old 04-21-07, 11:37 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nuvation vs. Mike Garcia?
Old 04-23-07, 02:16 PM
SteadyHand
Former Wipper Snapper!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered the Reynolds Solitudes

I went with these for several factors. Feedback, weight, price. I was sold when I found a website that sold after market ceramic bearing kits for these wheels (and others) so if I were ever interested, I could go that route. I will post pics once they are received and mounted.
Old 04-23-07, 09:26 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spessx
My race bike has the Race X Lites which I have been happy with so far. I'm done with the AC350's on my other bike and would like to put a diff wheelset on it.

-Stephen
I snipped your post. If you are merely training, why bother with a nice wheelset? Get something extra tough and fixable, and don't worry about aero. Someone on ebay was selling Shimano hubs laced to Mavic Cxp-22 rims for a good price. They would make great training wheels. Of course, you could race them too, should the need arise. What wheels are you running on your race bike? Could you swap those wheels onto your trainer, and get some really nice ones for your race machine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.