Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-11-08, 10:15 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Pleased to meet you, your grace. I'll post my progress on the Atala. Finding this frame and resurrecting it is pennance for me getting my father's Atala Grand Prix stolen about 15 or 16 years ago.
Old 12-11-08, 10:16 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meet my new acquisition. You can't see the name in the pics but there is a SCHWINN title on it. Unfortunately the badge on the front is gone. This bike has been sitting behind a shed for years!
Old 12-11-08, 11:23 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by funrover
Meet my new acquisition. You can't see the name in the pics but there is a SCHWINN title on it. Unfortunately the badge on the front is gone. This bike has been sitting behind a shed for years!
Oooooo!
I don't know much about older Schwinns.... do you know what model it is? It looks kinda like the one my Mom had. It's a gorgeous bike (or rather, it WILL be a gorgeous bike) with nice lines.
Old 12-11-08, 11:36 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know yet.. I am looking up what I can find out right now
Old 12-11-08, 11:43 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Planet bike. I mounted the bracket in back of the forks, to get that much more coverage. for the BB.,,,,BD
Old 12-11-08, 11:54 PM
Bikedued

I don't know yet.. I am looking up what I can find out right now
Looks like possibly a B-6? wrong color and saddle for a Phantom and regular pitch chain so later fifties I imagine. 55-59?. Also appears to have the wrong wheels, as Schwinn never used a drop center type that I know of? Ask at the schwinn heritage board, but don't say anything bad about Pacific Cycle or Dorel while you're there, haha.,,,,BD

Check for the S/N location, if it's on the BB it's very early. If on the left dropout, a little later like I think it is. Regular pitch chain says mid fifties too IIRC.

https://www.rockyarchive.org/img/rhps...ankTattooL.jpg
Old 12-11-08, 11:58 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Wow, that bike is really cool. I don't know, but with all the detail it looks like it may have been a pretty nice bike, at least it doesn't look like a cheapo. Looks like a candidate for oxalic acid for sure, search it if your not familiar, the process is cheap and has saved me a ton of painstaking labor. I looove the look of this bike, good luck and post your progress!
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 12-11-08, 11:59 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Planet bike. I mounted the bracket in back of the forks, to get that much more coverage. for the BB.,,,,BD
That's what I was thinking (since we've carried PB before), but I wasn't sure. I remember that they were easy to install, and seemed pretty secure.
Old 12-12-08, 12:00 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Funrover, you may want to ask around on the forums at schwinn.com about this bike. Someone may know exactly what you have.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 12-12-08, 12:06 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Some form of Schwinn B6...

-Kurt

Old 12-12-08, 12:22 AM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by PlatyPius
That's what I was thinking (since we've carried PB before), but I wasn't sure. I remember that they were easy to install, and seemed pretty secure.
It depends on what bike on the easy part. My 84? Club Fuji had clearances a little tight for them, which is why they ended up on this one. The front bracket was too tall, and had to be bent over to clear the crown race. It still rubbed the tire sometimes when out of the saddle, with the fender touching the bottom of the steerer. So off they came, and hung in the garage as if I knew this bike would soon come along.,,,,BD
Old 12-12-08, 07:58 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Looks a lot like a Phantom.

Pic stolen from interwebs.

Old 12-12-08, 08:36 AM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Took some days off and talked myself into going delivering some of my old and hopeless frames (and some garbage) to a free delivery place here in Oslo. Ended up dumpster diving for this little cute bicycle. An Eddy Merckx Strada with almost complete Athena. Rear wheel is Shimano 105. Rear spacing is 130. Too small for me at 52,5 cc.
Old 12-12-08, 08:39 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Originally Posted by plodderslusk
Ended up dumpster diving for this little cute bicycle. An Eddy Merckx Strada ...
Someone threw that away?

Old 12-12-08, 08:48 AM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I even spoke to the lady who did so, and told her that the bike was worth some money. It was given to me by the guy who took care of the bicycle dumpster. (we had a nice chat about bicycles before she came). She said she just didn't care and it had not been used for many years.
Old 12-12-08, 08:53 AM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Oooooh! My size! Me likey!!

Brenda
Old 12-12-08, 09:01 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I love the twisted Sakae cranks. A truly interesting crank that looks like nothing else out there. Very unique. I have one of those on a Raleigh, and it may get robbed, hehe.

Here's the update on the Fuji Series III. Rides like a caddy and doesn't lose a lot of cranking energy through frame flex like my Shogun Alpine seems to. Feels very similar to my Club Fuji in stiffness, due to the quad butted tubes. This bike jumped into my top five the first time I rode it.,,,,BD

Before. Lots of potential!!

After! Decided on black hoods and dark red wrap, since the color scheme would not look right with gum color, IMHO. A little hard to see, but the wrap is a pretty decent match for the housing and graphics. They're a deep maroon. If I run across a darker red, I will go with that. For now it looks pretty decent.

BD, That Fuji is lovely. I very much like what you did with it. Also, I have a roll of red housing that would likely match the bar wrap. PM me if interested and I'll send you some.

Dan

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 12-12-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-12-08, 10:27 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Omg

What dumpster did that Eddy Merckx come out of? I have my travel agent on the phone, and need to know what airport to fly into!
Old 12-12-08, 10:31 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
"Machinshin" how are those fenders on the Fuji working out for you? I was thinking about ordering the SKS fenders from Nashbar. Easy installation? Fit on securely?
- THX
Old 12-12-08, 10:52 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
"Machinshin" how are those fenders on the Fuji working out for you? I was thinking about ordering the SKS fenders from Nashbar. Easy installation? Fit on securely?
- THX
Sorry, those are Bikedued's fenders and his Fuji. The only Fenders I have experience with installing are Honjos. They are a time consuming install but look amazing when finished.

Shameless plug

Old 12-12-08, 11:07 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Sorry, those are Bikedued's fenders and his Fuji. The only Fenders I have experience with installing are Honjos. They are a time consuming install but look amazing when finished.

Shameless plug

Mmmmmm.....pretty.

I need to get one of those front racks and an appropriate bag of some sort. I'm hoping to start doing the randonneur thing this year. Super randonneur is several years off, I'm afraid.

Anyway....damn that bike is gorgeous.
Old 12-12-08, 11:08 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I took my lunch hour and went and bought the 23 bikes for $100 that was posted on the Cleveland Craigslist. A few quick pictures revels:

Schwinn Starlet 3, SchwinnTiger 3 speed, black framed men's Schwinn middle weight missing decals, Monark Silver King American, Rollfast Deluxe (women's) and some others.

It looks like the Tiger 3 speed is from 1954 and has an alloy shell SA/AW rear hub. The serial number is L93011.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Nothing is in great shape and many have rattle can paint jobs. There are some more pictures (like these snapped quickly) here: https://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...08%20Cruisers/

If you see anything you want let me know as all of this was bought to flip.

Last edited by sonatageek; 12-12-08 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 05:17 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've acquired another "doomed for the junk yard" bike. I think I'm probably going to fix this one up for the step-kid. He can destroy a mountain bike, so I'm not going to buy him a "good" road bike. I figure it'll be hard to destroy this one.

Rusted Fuji Monterey. I'm not sure on the year - I haven't checked date codes yet - but I think it's around 1980. It belonged to one of my childhood friends. Her Dad is moving into an apartment and getting rid of everything from the house. I took the bike, of course. (The cats didn't come with it....)

Old 12-12-08, 05:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by PlatyPius
. I'm not sure on the year - I haven't checked date codes yet - but I think it's around 1980.
Appears 1980 might be spot on.

https://www.classicfuji.com/Monterey_1980_Page.htm

Old 12-12-08, 05:40 PM
Bikedued

Man, look at that GIANT chainring on the red Murray!!! It's got to be at least a 50!? Humongous, hehe.

The fenders are great! No rattles, and look pretty good too...Not to mention they're probably as light as alloy fenders. No complaints. I want to get a set of the mudflapped models for the Moto Grand Touring. Black will look fine on it as well since it is charcoal with black head tube and seat tube bands. I may break down and get a set of Honjos for the Grand Record if it has room. Not sure about the SKS, anyone else have any experience with them?

On the housing, I was wanting to match the wrap to the housing. The housing is a spot on color match to the frame graphics, so a maroon wrap would complete the package. Thanks for the offer though! Much appreciated. Maybe a red cloth wrap with 6 coats of clear shellac? Hmmmm....

PlatyPius, I think our cats must be related. ANYTHING new that comes into the house must be completely sniffed over. Shopping bags, groceries, shoes, everything!,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-12-08 at 05:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.